Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pill Tray filler size for core seating

Banned

Pill Tray filler size for core seating

Okay, I’ve been looking around and asking questions from place to place on the net. No real given answer. I’m hoping someone can point to me in the right directions. I’ve been told that those pill tray fillers can be use to insert lead cores into the jackets efficiently and quickly, I plan to make swage alot of bullets this year and stock on reloading components whenever they do get back to “normal.” What size pill trays are good for the following calibers: .224”, .251”, .355”, .308”, and .458”? I have no idea which pill tray fillers would be good for which calibers, I dont know enough people dedicated to this hobby to give me an answer and they dont list the diameters of the holes on those pill tray fillers….nothing to work with…any help is appreciated.

I usually put the cores in by hand. But then again, I weigh every core and jacket and get them lower than a tenth of a grain difference in weight. Swaging tends to be very time consuming.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    its down almost at the bottom of the page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	296700

Lord Va.....please contact me...
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Check here looks just like the one I got off of eBay.https://www.allincapsule.com/

I use a block of wood with holes drilled with a forstner bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Good morning, I have a question on the pill filler tray's. According to the size, 5.56 should use a number 3.
    Has anyone tried one and where did you find it? I have tried and could not find anything smaller that a 1.
    Thanks for the help.

I am very interested in an auto pill filler tray if someone has experience with one. I only swage .22rf hulls into bullets. My solution was to use a jacket holder like dryflash3 posted. Instead of drilling the holes myself I bought some peg-board & glued a piece to the bottom of my loading blocks to make them double-duty. If you want to do this yourself, be sure to take a jacket with you to test with at the store as I found out there are different peg boards holes. I got mine at HD & I didn't have to buy a whole 4x8 sheet. I'm following this thread for help as the loading-block thing is still tedious. Just FWIW...
    Attachment 299676

BTW: The wide spacing makes it easy to pick up a jacket with just right amount of lube on your finger tips.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. I have been weighing and doing them one at a time. You are right it is very tedious.
    Thought one of the trays might speed it up. Your idea might be the way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to still hear from someone that has used the pill tray's. If anyone has used them?

Boolit Buddy
    I finally found a number #3 pill tray. It seems the larger ones are easy to find, but not #3.
    I'm going to use it on my next batch, and let you know how it works out.

Boolit Bub
    i bought something similar to this tray a while ago. had to throw that away when I scaped the tyranny of the "green new zealand" prime minister and moved to a decent place... btw.. a s&#t country!!!
    i can't really remember which number it was: #2 or #3, but it worked flawlessly. no probs at all. i used to make 224 cal bullets up to 69 grains with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tray.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	300377

Boolit Buddy
    I did see one like that, but choose the other model. Because of the size offered.
    We shall see, it should be in next week. I have a batch ready to go.
    I haven't tried to make anything heavier than a 62 grain.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax111 View Post
    I did see one like that, but choose the other model. Because of the size offered.
    We shall see, it should be in next week. I have a batch ready to go.
    I haven't tried to make anything heavier than a 62 grain.
    yes, when I resume making bullets I will definitely buy only a couple of 100 hole trays. the 400 hole is quite cumbersome. does the work tho!
    just make sure you pick the correct number. i really can't remember the number I had for the 224s as it was a decade ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I received the Pill Tray yesterday. I had a batch ready to go and the pill tray worked very nicely!
    I will have to change my procedure and start sorting by weight and not by brand.
    Number 3 fits the .224 bullets.
    MFG_BOP Thanks for the heads up!

Boolit Master
    I received the Pill Tray yesterday. I had a batch ready to go and the pill tray worked very nicely!
    I will have to change my procedure and start sorting by weight and not by brand.
    I wonder if this tray will work with .241 dia jackets? That is pre core swage size for a 6mm. Also what length will work as I use up to 1.150 oal?

Thanks for the feedback info. I'm still wondering just how does this actually work? By that I mean, by what process or mechanism do the jackets align open end up & then lead cores fall into the jackets. Wish there was a YouTube to watch.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not familiar with sizes of the 6mm. Thread number 3 picture has all the sizes of the trays. I don't think the number 3 tray would fit.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a you tube on it. The guy is using powder and all the plates. Doing bullets< I didn't have to use all the plates.