RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slam-fire vs Nonslam-fire Ithaca 37

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    To clarify my post #19 for those unfamiliar, the 37 flexes and applies rotational torque to the extracted shell, such that when cycled rapidly the rim of an ejected plastic shell may strike the exposed primer of the round in the magazine tube. There were miles of high speed motion picture film documenting this, which happens mostly in 16-ga. and 20-ga. guns when firing plastic shells. Much less often in 12-ga. There were multiple lawsuits about this. At Ithaca in the 1970s they had an old Army wall locker full of guns with blown magazine tubes.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

By plastic shells, do you mean Activ type?
    So interesting, I've never heard of it. I was wondering what you were referring to.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    By plastic shells, do you mean Activ type?
    So interesting, I've never heard of it. I was wondering what you were referring to.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    All modern shells with plastic tube vs. paper, which does not present the problem.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    To clarify my post #19 for those unfamiliar, the 37 flexes and applies rotational torque to the extracted shell, such that when cycled rapidly the rim of an ejected plastic shell may strike the exposed primer of the round in the magazine tube. There were miles of high speed motion picture film documenting this, which happens mostly in 16-ga. and 20-ga. guns when firing plastic shells. Much less often in 12-ga. There were multiple lawsuits about this. At Ithaca in the 1970s they had an old Army wall locker full of guns with blown magazine tubes.
    OK this one is new to me, I don't see how this can happen as the spent hull can't separate from the Extractor/Bolt until the lifter pushes it down and that happens nose first.

Also having a little problem with the "Flexing" and "Rotational Torque" part and how that would influence how the hull is ejected.

I just got thru playing with mine and when the shell is ejected it is separated from the bolt/extractor by the lifter pushing it down nose first.

Is the hull being ejected so that it turns around on the Lifter so that the topside of the Rim as it was previously positioned in the chamber then strikes the next primer on the way out ??? Mine is a 1940 M37 12 ga. and I have not seen nor heard of this, but I think I can see how it could happen on the smaller gauges as the hull would rotate quicker on its way out, but it would have to hit the next shell before the shell trip released it onto the lifter? Or is it hitting the next shell after it is released? or the released new round is hitting the spent round before it can be fully ejected and pinning it against the front of the fire control group. Then the magazine spring would be actually providing the force necessary to set off the new round?

Maybe a timing problem?

Ithaca obviously fixed this problem because they are selling M37's in 12,20,28 ga. now.

Where can i see the high speed pics?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chena View Post
    I have a 1947 vintage Featherlight in 16 gauge with the corncob fore end that is the best handling upland gun I have ever used. But my first encounter with the slam fire feature (function testing against a berm) was disconcerting to say the least. The transition from 870s took some time to rewrite the muscle memory. It helped to stick with the Ithaca to the exclusion of other pumps.
    I have been fighting this for some time, and the fix is to stop trapping the trigger.

We were all taught this at Front Sight for every gun we shot there. It was called a Trigger Reset Drill and it was done for Pistols Rifles and Shotguns.

I complained about it the last time I was there because I was starting to use my Ithaca for Skeet shooting and it would slam fire if you trapped the trigger. So will a Model 12, neither one of which they will allow in Tactical Shotgun classes. Well I opted out of Trigger Reset drills which essentially broke the habit of trapping the trigger, then they got the idea and told everybody to only do it for that drill..

On these two styles of shotguns you punch the trigger which is how I was taught to shoot a shotgun 50 years ago. I still catch myself Trapping the trigger on my O/U sometimes. but hardly ever.

This is just a habit you have to break, and there really isn't any other way around it.

On the post 1975 Ithaca the hammer follows the bolt down if you trap the trigger, but there isn't enough force to slam fire the next round. This results in a loaded gun with the hammer down so you get to rack the slide and waste that round and then line up for the next shot. On the earlier guns like mine if you trap the trigger the hammer stays back until the bolt is closed and locked then it releases and fires the gun.

The hot tip is to not Trap the Trigger on any shotgun in the first place.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-23-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK this one is new to me, I don't see how this can happen as the spent hull can't separate from the Extractor/Bolt until the lifter pushes it down and that happens nose first...

Mine is a 1940 M37 12 ga. and I have not seen nor heard of this, but I think I can see how it could happen on the smaller gauges as the hull would rotate quicker on its way out, but it would have to hit the next shell before the shell trip released it onto the lifter?

CORRECT

....Ithaca obviously fixed this problem because they are selling M37's in 12,20,28 ga. now.

Where can i see the high speed pics?

Randy
    Was on 16mm movie film taken in late 1960s. Have no idea where it would be now.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12