Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger No. 1: 45-70 or .458 win-mag?

Boolit Master

I've owned both the .45/70 and .458 Win Mag Number 1s.
    I have a Marlin M1895 that I bought and it outshot the Ruger so it moved on.
    The .458 Win Mag does have a long throat. Looks like the on ramp to the freeway. I found two bullets that it shot well. #462560 and the RCBS 45-500-FN. Both seated out to touch the rifling. The 462560 seated normally would shoot acceptable groups.
    My thoughts were like yours. Nice heavy plinker off the bench with a 300 grainer. I didn't get the groups that I anticipated so the .458 Win Mag is gone as well./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Since you landed on the .375 H&H you got a great cast bullet chambering that is quite tolerable with full velocity loads recoil wise and accurate with cast .38/55 loads. My scope choice wanders around quite a bit from 1x4 all the way to a 3x9. My favorite is probably the Leupold 2.5x8. With Nosler 260 grain tipped boat tail bullets it shoots flat enough to use 8x and more. Should be adequate for your deer at any range.

Boolit Buddy
    I read a few posts to your rather torrid dilemma, a few of my thoughts on the matter. (BTW I feel your pain, been through it to many times)
    I once owned a No1 in 416 Rigby, my late hunting partner had one in 458 Win Mag. I reloaded and shot loads for my buddy's rifle, from whitetail deer to moose & Bison loads. Yes we procured all the above.
    The heavy barrel is meant to soak up recoil, I guess, but the stock design is not. What you basically have is a muzzle heavy No.1. Kind of awkward to carry, imho. I sold my 416 as I purchased a bolt gun and to replace the Tropical. I acquired a No.1S in 9.3X74 to replace the 416. All qualms about recoil aside, that No.1S, which is the same model as the 45/70 is a nicer gun to carry than the muzzle heavy Tropical.
    If you don't want the power of the 458, then look at the model of the rifle in question not the power level.
    I think if you were to handle both of them, you would see what I mean.
    crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123