Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with Accurate 5744 ?

Boolit Master
    I have found it to be a great powder with CB's in bottleneck cartridges. The problem is price and availability. It has shot exceptionally well in my 30/30, 338 WM, and my 250 Sav. but it has been occasionally so hard to find that I found alternatives like RE-7 and Red Dot that, with care, shoot nearly as well. I now have plenty but rarely use it since I set my loads up for the alternatives.

“ I dont know where your buying it. I have been using it for awhile in 45-70s. I have never seen it in anything but 1 lb containers. Yes its expensive. But are you thinking of Blackhorn 209? It comes in 10oz containers for about $45!!!!.”

I haven’t bought any for a long time. You are correct, it now comes in a 1 lb. Container. Thanks for the correction.

ETA: I just checked.My older can is indeed 1 lb. I must have been thinking f another powder. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Last edited by scattershot; 02-21-2022 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    So I'm curious about this. Was studying up on possibly doin some cast with my .243 and started looking in the book and what powders I can actually find right now and noticed I can actually find accurate 5744. Then I noticed that this stuff is on near about every load table for most of the rifle calibers in the Lyman 4th edition... So now I'm wondering. What makes this stuff so versatile?
    I noticed the same thing you did in the Lyman 4th edition. I have been looking for 5744 for months on the internet. Last week a friend of mine asked me over to his house because he had "something I'd love". Got there, he had bought a bunch of reloading gear from a widow. There was a plastic tote full of various gunpowder. I started pulling them out....three one pounders and an eight pounder of 5744. There was also 3 pounds of Alliant RL15. I bought all 14 pounds from him. Haven't had a chance to shoot any cast rifle bullets using the 5744. But I see the 4th edition has loads for all the rifle calibers I cast and load for.

Boolit Master
    Ramshot’s online data has a 14ksi load for .45 Colt and a 255 grain SWC flying at over 1k fps. That being said, I have reason to believe Ramshot data is a bit hot.

Boolit Master

My local reloading shop has it in stock for $59.99 per lb. I still have about five pounds of Buffalo rifle left. I use it very sparingly. I cannot discern any difference between Shooter's World Buffalo and XM5744. Date is interchangable.

Boolit Grand Master

I have XMP-5744, which is supposed to be the same thing, only an older term. It's ok, nothing really special to me. It kind of does the same thing as 4227. About as bulky, about the same burn rate, about the same kernel size. They fill an odd area. A little slow for most handgun rounds, and pretty fast for most rifle rounds. Next to no use in shotguns, although you will see a 4227 load here and there. .410 might see some, it is an odd duck. I can only assume they have less retardants on the powder, making them easier to ignite. They are good to try, but I've yet to see either outshoot IMR 3031 or 4895 in cast bullets. I'm told they work better with fillers, but again, why not just use a slower rifle powder at that point.

If you happen to run across any IMR SR4759 better grab it. It performs like 5744 as far as being easy to ignite and bulky, but data is not interchangeable. I has been discontinued for a few yrs but some older gunshops might have a can or 2 left. Really good for reduced loads. Just a FYI for you. Buffalo Rifle is just as good as 5744 but Shooters World powder is hard to find now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    One of the useful listing categories found in the Nosler manual is figures for "Load Density", meaning that if you only fill half of the space behind the base of a bullet, you are at 50% load density; if you can shake the cartridge and barely hear the powder rattle, you're filled to 100% or very close; if you hear powder granules crunching when you seat the bullet, the manual will call it a "compressed load"

This is a bit of a simplification, but generally, for a given velocity and pressure level, the higher the load density, the more consistent the burn, and the better the accuracy. In a lot of larger cases, you need a certain amount of elevated load density for safety - the goal is to get your powder to burn steadily, not chain-detonate like chaff dust floating through the air in a grain silo.

5744 is a GREAT cast bullet powder because it's bulky, filling the case without generating the massive amounts of energy seen in something like 4350 or 4831 which are used for getting maximum speeds out of jacketed bullets. If you want to take a .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, or even .30-06 down to the levels at which cast bullets like to operate, it's a good one to have on hand.

And yeah, the big black powder rounds too - they're big because with black powder, the only way to get more performance was to use more of the only fuel they had available, and the loads were always compressed. 5744 is a tool that often lets you safely work in those big voids.
    You have no clue how many questions you've answered for me with this
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    Couple of us did some testing with SW Buffalo two years ago. Seemed somewhat slower burning than 5744...in a few different loads and guns, Buffalo generated less velocity. Anyone else see this? I'm not saying buffalo isn't good, just different than 5744.

Boolit Master

I have a heard time finding and affording 5744 when i do find it. Buffalo Bore is an equivalent powder and inexpensive. If i have pesky cartridge/riffle combo, i can get it shooting good with Bafalo Bore. Its good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I have a heard time finding and affording 5744 when i do find it. Buffalo Bore is an equivalent powder and inexpensive. If i have pesky cartridge/riffle combo, i can get it shooting good with Bafalo Bore. Its good stuff.

I think you mean Buffalo Rifle. Buffalo Bore is an ammunition manufacturer

https://shootersworldpowder.com/buffalo-rifle/

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...rifle-d060-01/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    It's a good powder for lower pressure rifle loads. It's bulky so it fills up large cases and gives consistent performance even with loads not running at peak pressures for rifle cases. The downside is that it's expensive and you won't get top end velocity with modern cartridges. It's about the most expensive powder out there.
    This is in a nut shell a good summary to the OP's question.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I think you mean Buffalo Rifle. Buffalo Bore is an ammunition manufacturer

https://shootersworldpowder.com/buffalo-rifle/

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...rifle-d060-01/
    Yup thats the stuff.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Vendor Sponsor
    I have found 5744 to be prone to bridgeing when using a powder measure. It is good practice to weigh every charge with all powders, but especially so with 5744. If powder granules hang up on one charge, they will dump into the next charge causing an overcharge. I would not recommend it for use in a progressive press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    You have no clue how many questions you've answered for me with this
    What can I say? Years of training in a monastery at the feet of wizened Shao-Lin masters . . .

Regarding your other thread about "winging it" for load development - the Nosler manual's load density figures were what woke me up to the fact that every edition of every loading manual from every company has something to offer: the new developments are always handy; the old, discontinued data may be just what you're looking for; Manual A will cover propellants than Manual B does not; and (as was the case for my Pop with Nosler) one particular team's methods can turn out to be a wonderfully mind-expanding tool. Well worth rounding up a few per year.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    If you happen to run across any IMR SR4759 better grab it. It performs like 5744 as far as being easy to ignite and bulky, but data is not interchangeable. I has been discontinued for a few yrs but some older gunshops might have a can or 2 left. Really good for reduced loads. Just a FYI for you. Buffalo Rifle is just as good as 5744 but Shooters World powder is hard to find now.
    Buying discontinued powders is not always a smart move. For a load that you use rarely, it can keep you shooting for a period of time. If you can get a good amount of it, then it makes sense. But a pound or two for a load that you will shoot a lot means you are back to starting over again.

I am always on the look out for powders going on sale. I bought 30 lbs of powder I had never used for $15/lb delivered. I have always been able to find a way to use powder for plinking loads. But I do not do much plinking with CF rifles and now with primers worth north of $100/k I do not plink with CF pistols much.

WD, you are young and seem to be into shooting. Look at the long term wrt to developing loads. Getting a good load using a powder you cannot get again is frustrating and a waste of time/resouces. Like I said, if you can get a pile of powder at a good price, go for it. Otherwise, you will be better off using a popular powder that has been around for a while.
    Don Verna

Thumbs up

What Don said (above)!

But a pound or two for a load that you will shoot a lot means you are back to starting over again

True enough but my 223 liked 9 grs of 4759 and a 50gr Remington. That's 777 rounds from a pound and that's is worth the trouble of starting over again IMHO.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I was gifted 2 lbs of XMP 5744-----Same stuff???
    Yes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast