Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 WFN 250ish grain?

Boolit Man

45 WFN 250ish grain?

Does anyone commercially offer a plain base 45 colt boolit with a WFN around 250gr and cast relatively soft for lower velocities?

Boolit Master
    Try Accurate Molds or Aresenal Molds.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Matt ' s Bullets I think does.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banner Sponsor

Hunters Supply has a nice 45-275. It shoots great in my 45 colt revolvers and Rossi m92.
    I've even ran them I. My 7" Longslide Hardballer 45acp.

Boolit Master

Montana Bullet Works has the 250 grain LBT WFN and OGWC in a harder alloy, but there's no reason at all you can't push them slow.

Matt's Bullets has a full wadcutter that they sell soft with the option of casting harder for those that want to push them hard.

If you're not opposed to a SWC, the Keith 452423 .45 Auto Rim bullet usually casts closer to 250 grains than its originally stated 238, and it is a nasty little fireplug with a .34" meplat - second in from the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_120546.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	296631
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

i've shot some of these and had good results: https://cowboybullets.3dcartstores.c...iber_c_11.html

The Lee 255gr mold is pretty good for the money. For commercial, MBW are pretty nice but pricey.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I buy 255 gr semi wadcutters from T & B Bullets in Oregon . Most accurate bullet in my son's Marlin '94 cowboy out to 100+ yards. I don't know hardness but we shoot them under 1100 fps out of the rifle.

Vendor Sponsor

These are Montana Bullet Works LBT 250gr WFN-PB, 250gr WFN-GC, and 250gr OWC. About the widest meplats of any 45 caliber boolits. I think MBW offers these in their BHN12 alloy with Veral's soft blue lube.

Name:	Ruger New Vaquero 45 Schofield.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	723.5 KB 
ID:	296656
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I like ACCURATE 250 FWC mold. Its it actually a type 3 wadcutter.

You wont find a larger meplat. But ya gonna have to cast it yourself. Dont know anyone selling them.

PM me if ya would like to try some.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Attachment 296662Attachment 296663Attachment 296664

Here is an Accurate Molds #45-253M that Tom @ Accurate came up with if you decide to cast. It shoots pretty good in my 625-3 S&W. It has a pretty fat meplate too.Attachment 296665
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

Hoosier Bullets offers a 45 caliber 250 grain bullet.

https://hoosierbullets.com/45-calibe...oated-bullets/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    These are Montana Bullet Works LBT 250gr WFN-PB, 250gr WFN-GC, and 250gr OWC. About the widest meplats of any 45 caliber boolits. I think MBW offers these in their BHN12 alloy with Veral's soft blue lube.

Name:	Ruger New Vaquero 45 Schofield.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	723.5 KB 
ID:	296656
    Thanks Doug. I looked at those based on some previous comments on this thread and they look fantastic. Have you shot to see if the OWC holds its stability at extended ranges? I did see the boolit cast at 15bhn and have an email in to them to ask about a softer one.
    Last edited by Bluerock2000; 02-22-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    I buy 255 gr semi wadcutters from T & B Bullets in Oregon . Most accurate bullet in my son's Marlin '94 cowboy out to 100+ yards. I don't know hardness but we shoot them under 1100 fps out of the rifle.
    Yes I have some of his SWC. Nice boolits. Looking for a bit wider meplat if I can find an accurate one.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Attachment 296662Attachment 296663Attachment 296664

Here is an Accurate Molds #45-253M that Tom @ Accurate came up with if you decide to cast. It shoots pretty good in my 625-3 S&W. It has a pretty fat meplate too.Attachment 296665
    That's a beautiful boolit, thanks for sharing. I love the mold I have from Accurate for my .44. Unfortunately my time is fairly limited at my current point in life and I'd rather spend my free time hunting, fishing, or shooting as opposed to casting. Hence my search commercially available boolits.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I like ACCURATE 250 FWC mold. Its it actually a type 3 wadcutter.

You wont find a larger meplat. But ya gonna have to cast it yourself. Dont know anyone selling them.

PM me if ya would like to try some.

CW
    PM sent

Boolit Man
    Rim Rock Bullets may have what you are looking for. They make a selection of soft cast bullets for Cowboy Action Shooting.

TGM

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerock2000 View Post
    That's a beautiful boolit, thanks for sharing. I love the mold I have from Accurate for my .44. Unfortunately my time is fairly limited at my current point in life and I'd rather spend my free time hunting, fishing, or shooting as opposed to casting. Hence my search commercially available boolits.
    I completely understand where you are brother. Time outdoors is paramount.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Thanks Doug. I looked at those based on some previous comments on this thread and they look fantastic. Have you shot to see if the OWC holds its stability at extended ranges? I did see the boolit cast at 15bhn and have an email in to them to ask about a softer one.
    How far are you trying to reach?

I've tinkered with big, .34" meplats on heavy .45-70 bullets which were wonderful to about 150-175 yards, but started to come unraveled farther out. From what I've gleaned from the Hive Mind here, the pistol equivalents seem to suffer the same around 75 yards. Taking the meplat down to LFN territory of about .30-.32 might be the more prudent choice if you are planning to long-ball.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

I did not since I wanted it for a hunting boolit for a woodswalker. Tree stand in thick woods, 20-40 yards average. 1180-1200fps.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast