Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I did it!, bought a PCP air gun.

Well, I did it!, bought a PCP air gun.

I have a Hatsan 135 QE Vortex air rifle in .25 caliber, absolutely love it.
    I recently purchased an ATN X Sight 4K Pro 3 - 14 digital day/night scope.
    I am afraid the Vortex would tear up the ATN, so I did the logical thing, I bought another air rifle.
    Loving the .25 caliber Vortex, I decided to stick with the Hatsan, the stock is beautiful, and the pellets hit like sledgehammers.
    I bought the Hatsan Flash Pup in .25 caliber.
    I went with the wood stocked version because I like the stock so much on the Vortex.
    I got 20 dollars off with a coupon from Air Depot.
    I used HR Funks 5% off at Optic Planet for a hand pump, thanks Howard!
    I thought I would start out with the hand pump then later maybe get a compressor when things cool down a bit about all the toys I have been buying recently.

Boolit Master
    nice, i too am looking for a new pcp
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Congratulations!!!

Hope the weather where you live is decent enough to get some pellets on paper. Looking forward to the range report.
    Don Verna

Thought it was time to come to the Dark Side!

Maybe we are getting like Brittian, only air rifles will be legal and at low velocity only...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    nice, i too am looking for a new pcp
    DAR has said they will be introducing the Gen 3 some time in May, can’t wait, already own a gen2 in 22cal, going for a 25cal gen3, as soon as they become available, you won’t be disappointed in a DAR if you can wait that long.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    DAR has said they will be introducing the Gen 3 some time in May, can’t wait, already own a gen2 in 22cal, going for a 25cal gen3, as soon as they become available, you won’t be disappointed in a DAR if you can wait that long.
    Thanks for the update. I got a DAR Gen 2 in .22 and it shoots nearly as well as the Daystate Huntsman I have at less than 1/3 the price. DAR is one of the great entry level PCP’s.

There are a lot of good PCP’s at affordable prices today and more people will be “joining the dark side” when they realize how effective they are. What’s not to like about a gun that shoots under 1” groups at 50 yards for peanuts?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Just read the small game hunting reg’s in Pa and 25 cal air rifle for small game is illegal , now I know there is no cure for stupid, but this is beyond stupid, I’m still getting a 25 when they become available.

Boolit Master
    I bought one last week as well and it arrived tuesday at the shop but I've not been by to pick it up yet . I ordered a Seneca Dragon something 50 cal . I shot a friends of a friends a few days before that and decided I wanted to kerplunk a deer with one . I'm sure it will say in the owners manual but what size cast round balls work in the bad boy the best .490" , .495" or .500" ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I bought one last week as well and it arrived tuesday at the shop but I've not been by to pick it up yet . I ordered a Seneca Dragon something 50 cal . I shot a friends of a friends a few days before that and decided I wanted to kerplunk a deer with one . I'm sure it will say in the owners manual but what size cast round balls work in the bad boy the best .490" , .495" or .500" ?
    Get on Youtube and look "up north airgunner" up.
    He recently put a video up on these where some guys have modified it to way higher muzzle energies vs stock. In that vid he also speaks of boolits for it.

Boolit Man
    1st PCP? You have not yet begun to spend!!

Seriously, I got into airguns during the last rimfire ammo shortage. There are $300 guns now that the guns then wouldn't match feature-wise. Enjoy the sport! Once you get your own carbon tank and/or compressor, beware, as there is no limit to how many guns you can fill without effort!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post

Seriously, I got into airguns during the last rimfire ammo shortage. There are $300 guns now that the guns then wouldn't match feature-wise. Enjoy the sport! Once you get your own carbon tank and/or compressor, beware, as there is no limit to how many guns you can fill without effort!
    Tell us more about these $300 guns. How much for the compressor and tank to go with it?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have a Hatsan 135 QE Vortex air rifle in .25 caliber, absolutely love it.
    I recently purchased an ATN X Sight 4K Pro 3 - 14 digital day/night scope.
    I am afraid the Vortex would tear up the ATN, so I did the logical thing, I bought another air rifle.
    Loving the .25 caliber Vortex, I decided to stick with the Hatsan, the stock is beautiful, and the pellets hit like sledgehammers.
    I bought the Hatsan Flash Pup in .25 caliber.
    I went with the wood stocked version because I like the stock so much on the Vortex.
    I got 20 dollars off with a coupon from Air Depot.
    I used HR Funks 5% off at Optic Planet for a hand pump, thanks Howard!
    I thought I would start out with the hand pump then later maybe get a compressor when things cool down a bit about all the toys I have been buying recently.
    Perhaps the best thing I've purchased has been the Nomad2 air compressor. I got mine from Pyramid Air at a price almost two hundred dollars less than current -- but (God forbid) should mine fail -- I'd replace it with another. For me it is small as well as light enough to schlep about, running off 110VAC in house and/or my Toyota truck battery at camp (12VDC). One needs put a few drops of oil in it every five airgun fills -- and that's all she wrote for maintenance! I sooooo enjoy shooting my PCPs and there are no words to express the total elimination of ANY "work" or effort to fill/refill the PCPs. Yes -- I have a Hill Mk4 air pump, and I recall after my 3rd or 4th use I made the decision to get a compressor. I haven't looked back! Congrats on your moving to the "dark side"! For recreational target shooting -- I have not looked back in this move, either. A link to the compressor is https://www.pyramydair.com/product/a...pressor?a=8695

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Tell us more about these $300 guns. How much for the compressor and tank to go with it?
    One of my rifles is a .22 DAR. It shoots sub 1" groups at 50 yards with Crosman pellets that cost $6.24/500:
    https://www.dynamicairrifles.com/product-page/dar-22

Go to Airguns of Arizona or Pyramid Air to check out tanks and compressors. I went with a tank. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks.html

I get 4000 shots on a fill that costs $10.

Almost all my plinking and fun shooting last year was with air guns. I added two air pistols this fall. I am shooting for less than $10/500 and getting accuracy as good or better than most .22's shooting $40/500 ammunition. (Out to 50 yards)

I shoot a lot so it made sense to save money. 6000/year costs $500 with LR and $100 with pellets. My guns are moderated so there is no need to wear hearing protection and I do not need to police brass. Great training for kids too. I do not plink past 50 yards so it fit my needs, but I intend to test at 100 yards this year. Will be reporting on my thread in a couple of months.

On the rifles I get over 20 shots per fill. (If you go with .177 you will get more, with .25 less). For bench shooting and pellet testing I keep the tank tethered to the gun so just crack the fill valve on the tank to top up the gun. No need to connect and disconnect or bleed the fill line (that wastes air) and it takes about 15 seconds to fill the gun.

Here is my journey:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...o-PCP-Air-Guns

I have gone past "Dipping my toes"..LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I was going to purchase a JTS cuda but I will look into this DAR more. Thanks.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I was going to purchase a JTS cuda but I will look into this DAR more. Thanks.
    Last time I looked all calibers of DAR were out of stock, I inquired about when they expected to be in stock again, message was they plan to introduce the gen 3 sometime May, or June, I’m waiting for a 25cal

They have the Umarex Origins in stock again at our Academy. $299 and it comes with a hand pump.
    Considering getting another one. One to shoot while I tinker with the other and that'll give me a spare pump.
    I don't find hand pumping all that demanding except maybe for my time. Yeah, I know, once I get a tank
    or a compressor, I'll never touch the hand pumps again...... but for now....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post

I’ve wanted a big bore for about ten years ever since I saw the Quackenbush guns but I didn’t wanna pay the price . But recently my BIL got me kinda intrested in a round about way . And I bought the Seneca 50 cal . But for me it’s more of a I wanna be able to say I killed a deer with one . Which unto itself is no big deal . Now I could conceivably see myself wanting to later kill deer with a 35 cal then maybe a 30 cal . But who knows !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Mold
    you guys maybe know this, but the Dar that you mentioned is already for sale.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, and price just went up, when I ordered mine on Mar 31st price was $399.95, just now looked and price is $499.95, but they have a $100 off coupon good through 4/30/22.

After that who knows you may be paying $200 more for a gen 3 than a gen2 cost last year??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast