WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 6,5 x 52mm Mannlicher-Carcano

Boolit Buddy

6,5 x 52mm Mannlicher-Carcano

Having problems with this one. Started with 30-06, swaged base to .446". Formed case with 6,5 x 52mm sizing die with shell holder extended full length, just touching die. The shoulder is not being pushed back enough. Length to shoulder is 1.685", but should be 1.618". Guess I could push the case up into the die without a shell holder and knock it out with a punch, but is this common? Thanks, Dan

Why not cut some off the '06 brass before sizing it? I'd cut it down to close to finished 6.5 length, anneal it, then size it, then ream the neck, finish trim.

DG

Or start with .308 (7.62x51) brass. Necking to 6.5 mm should give you a case that is very close to 52mm long.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    cutting the brass short does not help as the shoulder is not pushed far enough back with either a 30-06 or 308 case with the shell holder in place. The only way I can get the shoulder pushed back is to push the case into the die without a shell holder and drive it out of the die thru the top with a punch.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Are you sure it's not a Carcano instead of a Manlicher . 6.5 MS isn't the same as the 6.5×52 Carcano it's a 6.5×54 I think and the shoulder is in a different place . Also if you don't reduce the rim and the bulge at the head and extractor groove it wont chamber by just about what you're having . Reduce the bulge and size again see what happens . Remember you're sizing the thickest , heaviest part of the case down from .473-475 to .455 and it's possible , even in a Big Max A4 to hold the case off enough in the die for it to be a problem .

I recently did battle with a 6.5×50 SR . Just a couple of more .001s and it'll be a 6.8×50 SR .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Big Max for sizing, but initial base reduction is done in an arbor press with dies I made. There is no bulge. I do have to clean up the extractor groove in the lathe but I have checked all dimensions and they are right on, except for the position of the shoulder. The dies are Lyman and all my other dies are RCBS and never having this problem before, I suspect it's something to do with the Lyman dies. Any thoughts?

The MS is .14 longer than the Carcano at 2.11 vs 2.064 , the too long at the shoulder fits this more or less . As a band aid and I know it doesn't always work you might try a different die from the 308 or 30-30 family to get enough bump to fire form .

The 6.5 Japanese is in the same situation . I have formed from 243 but I'm passively on the look out for 6.5 CM . The 243 case leaves me about .1 to trim the 3 are awfully close in length .

Do you have a 6.8 SPC die ? It's way short but wide shouldered and more friendly to the .268 dia bullet .....

Have you slugged it yet ? .268 vs .264 .just bouncing ideas here .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I've settled on the best procedure for me. Using 308 brass ( I'm using Berdan cases as I have a bunch, and wanted to try the conversion to boxer. Works great!) Anyway, I swage the base down to .446". Turn the rim to .449" and recut extractor groove to accept #9 RCBS shell holder. FL size. Press case into die without shell holder to properly position shoulder with primer punch removed. Case comes out 0.010" long, so trim to length. Considered machining some off the bottom of the die so as to get the shoulder positioned properly, but decided against it as driving the case out with a punch is not a big deal. Wish I had an RCBS die to try. I'm thinking that would solve my problem.

Boolit Buddy
    If the case has u o be set on top the shell holder to push the shoulder back far enough the FL die is wrong for the chamber.ike someone said, in lieu of the correct die use a .308 die to move the shoulder back before nicking down.

Don you have to do it after the form as the body of the case is reduced making the case longer . A 308 die on 308 brass doesn't move the shoulder far enough .

At .030 or less long you might be able to face it off the shell holder .

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, was still thinking .30,06 brass.

Privi Partizan 6.5 Carcano ammo is available online for around $40 per 20 round box. Just throwing that out there, not messing with your fun!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    At .030 or less long you might be able to face it off the shell holder .
    Grinding down a shell holder is cheaper than replacing a sizing die.

Since you have a lathe, you could just make a flat top shell holder.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    SG Ammo has 6.5x52 Carcano primed brass at $119 per bag of 200. It's Privi brass. Huntington has the Graf unprimed at $20 and change per 50 , same brass . I'd keep trying to get what your doing right but would buy a supply while it's available .

https://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-...prvi-partizan-
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 02-23-2022 at 05:59 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Think I've got the kinks worked out. Luckily, I have an RCBS Big Max which is very helpful in case conversions. The top of the ram is threaded to accept either a shell holder or flat top attachment. After swaging the base to .449" and full length sizing, the flat top is used to push the case further into the die than that which is possible with the shell holder. The case is ejected with a punch thru the top of the die. I used Berdan primed 308 brass as I wanted to try the Berdan/Boxer conversion. I used the process of leaving the Berdan primer intact and drilling and swaging what was left of the Berdan primer in place. As I wanted to use the RCBS #9 shell holder, the extractor groove had to be recut. Using 308 brass worked out very well. Almost no trim to length was required, just a squaring of the case mouth. This conversion was a lot of work. Would I do it again? Yes, with some changes. I would use Boxer primed brass, I would plan to use a 308 shell holder and be certain the 308 rim will work in my rifle. If not, then the rim/groove will need alteration.