Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30 Super Carry Cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I'D just like to know when the H[eck] the four major U.S. primer producers plan to produce PRIMERS, again.
    There is really only 2, Vista and Olin. Those are the owners of the 4 brands you are thinking of. They can control output how they want basically. The import primers seem to be vaporware.

The shop I usually buy reloading components from and usually has some of the most stuff in the area. Has hardly any primers other than 209s. They are selling them by the 100pk and limiting it to 3. Never saw it this bad.

Boolit Master
    ...now going on two months...has anyone seen any ammo yet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not defending any particular cartridge. I am defending choice. I like having choices. One Man’s Trash is Another Man’s Treasure.

As to "the 9mm. For which there are literally millions of potential users, all crying for more ammo" that was true awhile back. Not so much today. That can easily be checked by a simple online search. What you won't find is the low prices of two years ago. Currently 25 cents around is about the best you will find but at that price and higher lots of 9mm available.

Manufactures project a purchasing drought is coming. That always happens after large scale panic buying. They also make their highest profit margins on premium self-defense ammo. Creating new sales/markets seems to be a good long-term business strategy to me.
    OR. . .you could just keep producing the same 97 octane regular gasoline that everybody already has a car for. The profit margins will be on the cheap rock-busting ammo that they make by the freight car load. The premium defense stuff that people only buy one box of to save for a rainy day won't keep any company solvent.

In a very real sense, a round like this is very much like the various methods of "alternative drive" methods to propel an automobile. There is no infrastructure, very little compulsion to create an infrastructure, and then you have the arguments over WHICH mode of propulsion it's worth the effort to create an infrastructure for.

In the case of what I'm calling the ".30 Shouldn't Consider", Federal is hoping to create an infrastructure for something that gives you about two rounds extra over the 9mm that was already selling well because of the capacity it offered (and people were happy with); that won't offer anything to anybody living in the "Ten Round Limit" states; offers terminal performance that's "almost as good"; with recoil that's "pretty much the same".

Like sharps4590 says, there ain't a lot new under the sun, and at the end of the day, it all makes a hole. This appears to be an epic FAIL of a quest to produce a new and appealing hole-punch.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

At one time even the beloved 30-06 was considered a passing fad.

Nothing but a fun excuse to buy a new handgun..as far as personal defence goes...No thug that might threaten you will care whether you are armed with a .22 LR or a .500 Linebaugh...They don't want to get shot with either...

Boolit Grand Master
    How dare anyone offer more choices than the anointed favorite defense cartridge.

The nerve!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...now going on two months...has anyone seen any ammo yet?
    Nope, and you likely wont too soon. There are still guns released in the fall, as in September, that have not hit shelves yet.

Boolit Master
    I saw a Nighthawk for sale in a shop...$4k...and no ammo available...

Boolit Grand Master
    Saw ammo for it online. IIRC $36 for 20 rounds of Gold Dot
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My local shop managed to get some of the ammo in, but is reserving it for people who buy the gun itself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My local shop managed to get some of the ammo in, but is reserving it for people who buy the gun itself.
    What are they asking for the M&P sheild in 30 SC?

Boolit Master
    I was shooting powder coated cast today out of my G 34.5 and enjoying the heck out of it. And most of the brass i have was picked up off the ground. I do have to admit some interst in the .327 fed. mag. If i could find a long barreled single seven for a not ridiculous price i would get one.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 03-01-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As I remember it was like $40.00 more than the 9mm.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Your post sums it up nicely. What is needed is a modern combat autopistol chambered for the 7.62x25, not another boutique, proprietary cartridge.
    My immediate thought was this was a redesign of the 7.63 (.30) Mauser/7.62x25mm Tokarev. Ballistics are similar to the Tokarev reload with 100 grain XTP and something over 5 grains of Power Pistol (a bit over 1200 fps vs the data in Firearms News of factory Federal 100 grain HST @ 1230 and Remington 100 grain HTP @ 1250 fps.

The sole advantage I can see over either the 7.62/7.63 or the 9x19mm is the straight walled cartridge allowing more cartridges loaded in the magazine.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    My immediate thought was this was a redesign of the 7.63 (.30) Mauser/7.62x25mm Tokarev. Ballistics are similar to the Tokarev reload with 100 grain XTP and something over 5 grains of Power Pistol (a bit over 1200 fps vs the data in Firearms News of factory Federal 100 grain HST @ 1230 and Remington 100 grain HTP @ 1250 fps.

The sole advantage I can see over either the 7.62/7.63 or the 9x19mm is the straight walled cartridge allowing more cartridges loaded in the magazine.
    Yeah, except 7.62 Tokarev has never fit in an American pistol. I'm truly baffled why people keep drawing this conclusion. It's like comparing 5.7x28 to 22 hornet. Despite similar ballistics, they share NOTHING else in common. Surely we aren't about to start arguing how 5.7x28 is pointless because 22 hornet is just as good in a semi-auto pistol.

30 super carry is a hot 32 acp. Similar to 38 super compared to 9mm luger. Personally I think they messed up by not having a specific gun made for this, but no, I don't think a 7.62 Tokarev has any potential at all in the small concealed carry market. It's simply too long.

Let's reach back 120plus years and hop up the .30Luger cartridge for this. Same capacity as 9mm but way cooler.
    Just kidding.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    As much as I like 32s i find i have a couple hundred 32H&R that wont chamber in my single seven, probably the rcbs 32/98 is cast oversize for it

Boolit Master
    I got a chance to stop by the local shop this afternoon and they had a S&W Shield EZ in 30SC, so I asked if they had any ammo. They did, and gave me permission to open the box. Damn those little cartridges are cute! They really do look like a 32acp all grown up.

If I were a factory ammo semi-auto kind of guy I would certainly be interested, any performance disparity with 9mm is almost certainly too small to matter in most cases.

It makes me wish there were more guns in 327mag...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

More guns are chambered in 327 Federal than most realize. The list has changed over time, and particular configurations come and go. As of now you can get it in most Ruger's, The LCR, SP101, GP100, and Single 7. They used to have it in the Blackhawk. As far as I know, Charter arms still makes their snub nose in it, they used to have a target model, no idea if they still do. Freedom Arms has always offered their 97 in it. Henry still makes both a lever action 20" rifle, and 16.5" carbine in it. I would not be surprised one bit if we see a Ruger/Marlin in 327 in the next year or two. I doubt it is a still a standard model, but you could get the Magnum Research BFR in 327 through the custom shop. The big news is Taurus just released their new model 327 in you guessed it, 327 federal. While I do think S&W is missing the boat by not offering a 7-shot K frame in it, that's their problem. All it takes is a simple chamber job to a model 16 as it is. Who wants a lock on their handgun anyway?

The 327 federal came out in one handgun, the SP101. It grew steadily from there. Maybe Federal is thinking the 30 SC will do the same, but I'm guessing it will not do as well. Kind of odd that S&W has never really cared about the 327, but jumped right in with the 30 SC.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-08-2022 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    IMHO, the perfect matchups of revolver and cartridge for the 327 would be the “new” Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top and the S&W K frame. I have had the Ruger Single Seven in my hand and own both a 32 H&R Buckeye Spl Blackhawk and a stainless Blackhawk Eight Shooter in 327 (both “Super BH” frames). The only complaint I hear about them (but don’t necessarily share) is that they are a little larger than needed., hence my choice of the mid-size new Flat Top. I have had a custom stainless S&W 327 built on a Model 66 donor gun. I regard this as the ideal gun on a S&W frame. Smith has actually made some J frames in 327, but I kinda regard that as “too much of a good thing”.

The only current offering for a rifle or carbine in the caliber is from Henry, but I have high hopes that Ruger, with its acquisition of Marlin, may introduce one as well. A Ruger Flat Top paired with a Rug-Mar lever gun in 327? There’s a pair to ride the range with!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast