MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 45colt and cast bullets???

Everyone is focused on cartridge length, but another issue may be the rifling your barrel has. Some Marlin 45 Colt’s were Ballard, some Micro-grooved. Shooting cast accurately in a Micro-grooved barrel is possible, but the secret is a larger diameter bullet.

Boolit Master
    I havent had a chance to check accuracy yet. I think, and I havent looked yet, but my cast bullets are already sized for my Vaquero and Blackhawks. The barrel is a microgroove and the rifle was made in 1988/89 if Im not mistaken.
    Unfortunately this may take a while to sort out. At the start of this year I changed careers and Im currently in the most intense training program I have ever been involved in, so I dont have much time to play on the range.
    Its a very nice rifle, well balanced, I like how it feels in the hand as you walk with it. I can see myself using often it for fun and for business.
    Keep the useful info coming and Ill keep you informed aswell.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Go here: https://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html

Several pages of very good and detailed info on the Marlin 1894 action, tuning, feed issues, fixes including DIY instructions. Even if you don't DIY it'll give you a better understanding of feeding problems and what to look for.

Just about every screw on the Marlin 94 will loosen with use so its a good idea to check them after a range visit.

Boolit Master
    I just got done with a complete tear down, polish, stone, clean and reassemble. Its starting to cycle my preferred bullet but still dragging a bit. But its an improvement. The short ammo is cycling even better now. Atleast now I feel like I can go to the range it NOT be a waste of time.
    Im not done with it but right now its a start. I sure like how the rifle feels.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Anyone know how much you can cut off the magazine spring and still let the rifle feed right? Its pretty heavy and hurts the thumb loading it.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Lefty, are you sure it’s the magazine spring or gate spring?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Lefty, are you sure it’s the magazine spring or gate spring?
    Im not sure. I mentioned the spring because there is a lot of spring outside the magazine tube when the magazine cap is out.
    How do you tell for sure?
    "In GOD We Trust"

If it’s hard to press the loading gate and insert the first couple of cartridges, the loading gate is likely the problem. If after a nearly full tubes worth of cartridges go in fairly easily into the tube and it then gets hard, I’d blame the magazine spring. In all likelihood, it’s the loading gate.
    Last edited by Castaway; 05-29-2022 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    If it’s hard to press the loading gate and insert the first couple of cartridges, the loading gate is likely the problem. If after a nearly full tubes worth of cartridges go in fairly easily into the tube and it then gets hard, I’d blame the magazine spring. In all likelihood, it’s the loading gate.
    Gotcha, makes sense. So to correct that you/I could just take out some the the “spring” in the loading gate? By straightening the flat spring arm??
    Correct?
    "In GOD We Trust"

One way is to thin the spring by stoning or filing, not grinding.

My rifles are cas guns and only need to hold 10 rds for a few minutes and then they’re emptied. I trim my mag springs so they are only an inch or two longer than the mag tube. Doesn’t take much to feed the last load. There are improved aftermarket loading gates for marlins, ubertis and winchesters if you have one thats problematic. Thinking my 1894 gates are original. I did install one piece firing pins as these are not hunting rifles.

Polishing the backside of the gate so it slips past cartridge rims helps. Stoning the back of the spring part of the gate to remove some material will help.

The mag spring can be 6” longer than the tube and work fine. I wouldn’t want it any shorter. It’s a generic part and easily obtained. I think they are about 15” longer than the tube as factory, from memory.

Boolit Master
    A little update....so far the rifle shoots my preferred bullet MiHa 454-640 very well and the same powder charge as my Vaquero, which is what I was hoping for. I havent tested different bullet sizes yet but I will in time.
    I felt like it was a long shot but my goal was to have my Blackhawk or the Vaquero shoot identical ammo as the rifle. Now on to trying to get the rifle to feed the MiHa 454-640
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I took some advice friend a friend/forum member and tried some shorter dummy loads. I for got I had a handful of Hornady brass that was already .050” shorter than normal. So I took a normal sized case and chambered it. Then loaded the three shorter dummy and it cycles them fine and dandy. I then repeated that with normal length ammo and sure enough it would hang. So I went back to the short dummys again....repeatedly. It rifle didnt hang up a single time.
    I disassembled the rifle and took .035” off the cartridge stop. I reassembled it and tried it and it hung up in an odd way. Cant really explain that particular time. But it has not missed a beat since.
    This is gonna sound really odd and crazy, but each time Ive disassembled it and reassembled the rifle, its seems like it has to “settle” back in....I know that sounds very hokey! Lol
    I sure hope this is the end of the feed issue. Id really like to start having fun with it at the range and in the field.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I had this rifle out again today and it ran flawless. It ate 30rds flawlessly! And man is it fun to shoot. What a great purchase!

I now wish I bought two of the MP-454-640 molds, lol
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 08-17-2022 at 08:51 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I appreciate eveyones help and input, thank you
    "In GOD We Trust"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12