Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 45colt and cast bullets???

Boolit Master

Marlin 1894 45colt and cast bullets???

Im interested in buying a Marlin 1894 in 45colt. The plan is to feed it one of my favorite cast bullets, the MP-454-640. I also would like to feed it the MP 308 Keith/Catshooter, LEE 255RN, and the MP Ruger ONLY bullet. I imagine the Ruger ONLY bullet will be too long.
    The 454-640 is my primary concern. Do any of you guys have the same rifle and shoot my preferred bullet/bullets in your rifle?
    Do they feed/cycle/operate just fine?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E941BBA9-E9EC-4DD2-B718-DF1386529424.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	296578I don’t know what your MP-454-640 is but the max oal is 1.60 inch +-. How long are your loads? Another way around a too long bullet might be to use the shorter .45 Schofield brass. Both my 1894s run 255 gr 45 Schofield loads fine but one has issues with the rim so I’ve had to turn the rims down a hair. ‘94s are nice rifles.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-20-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Baltimoreed, the OAL of my 454-640 is 1.650” ����
    Im not opposed to running Schofield brass, just not ideal. Hhmmm, now choices to make.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

I have two Marlins and they run the MP 454-640 just fine, they are about the least picky rifles. I've ever seen with respect OAL/bullet profile. Accuracy is only o.k. The only thing I have consistently seen is they like fat bullets. The Lee 255 isn't anything to worry about either, it's my plinking bullet. I use the NOE 454-280 for deer and I believe it's longer than the 640.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

My 24 inch ‘94 with ballard rifling does not like 200 gr bullets but 225-300 gr are accurate enough. I use them for cas not hunting so I can’t help you there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I have two Marlins and they run the MP 454-640 just fine, they are about the least picky rifles. I've ever seen with respect OAL/bullet profile. Accuracy is only o.k. The only thing I have consistently seen is they like fat bullets. The Lee 255 isn't anything to worry about either, it's my plinking bullet. I use the NOE 454-280 for deer and I believe it's longer than the 640.
    Oh hey! I like the sound of that! Would you mind sharing some of your loads in a private message?
    I also have that NOE 280 mold now that I think about it.
    Have you modified your rifle in any way to help with the feeding?
    What year was your rifle made?
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 02-20-2022 at 11:58 AM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

I have issue with some bullets. But slight adjust OAL and all have been able to be used.

The LEE 452-300 comes to mind. My Blk Hawk takes it fine but not the Marlins. The Rossi also has no issue.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 255 at .453 shoots VERY well in my Cowboy. Have used commercial 300 gr boolits with similar results.

Boolit Master

Lefty,
    Give me a couple days to dig out my notes on the NOE 280. Hint... Look over Paco Kelly's notes on 45 Colt loads and performance. There are quite a number specifically directed to the 1894 Marlin. I've used all his suggested loads and they bring your performance to a completely different level. I don't run these all the time, just hunting. The Lee 255 is easy, 8.5 grains of Unique or 7.2 grains of 231/HP38. As cast, lubed with alox. They are safe in everything, and really put a smack on a deer. One of my Marlins is a 24" Cowboy, a JM, never checked the manufacture date and the other is the much reviled 20" Cowboy that was made when they were still under Remington auspices. Like them both a lot, but the 20" is the bomb in a tree stand.
    https://www.leverguns.com/articles/p...ltlevergun.htm
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    WOW Jeff, that article is a game changer!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    My son's Marlin '94 .45 colt is very forgiving (so far) with quite a few bullet styles, including swc. As others have said, it likes fat bullets of 0.454+" diameter

Boolit Master
    Im proud to say I finally found my 1894 45 colt of choice. Hope to shoot it in the next couple weeks....��
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Great news, post your results.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I don't have the Marlin, but I do shoot a lot of 45 Colt through lever actions. I use the Lyman 454190 and 454424 over 8-9g of Unique. I never have any feed issues with them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Well, my Marlin is a 20” round barrel that arrived in immaculate condition! Im not sure if it was ever shot before now.
    So far it DOES NOT cycle my prefered MP-454-640 ☹️☹️
    I does cycle the LEE 255-RF
    I think I feel a rough spot of constriction in the bore also.....
    I havent taken it apart and started polishing parts yet, Ive only cleaned the barrel so far.
    Is there a way to make it feed a slightly longer OAL cartridge?
    "In GOD We Trust"

You can move the cartridge stop on the carrier farther back, how much I don’t remember. I did some research on it when I had a 357.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    You can move the cartridge stop on the carrier farther back, how much I don’t remember. I did some research on it when I had a 357.
    Moving that cartridge stop, does that require machining/cutting the carrier?
    I made some dummy rounds with some Hornady XTPs, 3 of them. Kept the OAL to 1.6” and it wont even load the first one. To be such a nice rifle, Im quite disappointed right out of the gate.
    Just to check accuracy I guess Ill be shooting it single shot for a bit.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Yes you have to remove metal from the cartridge stop on the carrier. Course that’s risky, cause getting a replacement carrier isn’t as easy now. I’d thoroughly research the mod before I proceeded. When I was looking into it before, I was looking on marlin owners forum. I also was tuning other pieces to try to get the gun I had to feed semi wad cutters without hiccup. But I was looking into the cartridge stop mod to get the gun to feed 358429 bullets in magnum brass. I never did that mod. I unfortunately lost the gun when my house burnt. Best I recall it’s a common mod that folks used to do with plenty of info and pics.

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 1894 is a later Remlin and it takes ammo up to 1.66" OAL with no modifications. The Lee 300-RF shoots just fine loaded long to the second crimp groove.

I have had only two classes of loads that shoot into 1" at 50 yards: the standard pressure 250-260 gr at 950-1050 fps, and the 300-RF GC around 1550-1650 fps.

My Marlin shot like crap until about 40 firelapping rounds. It had a bad constriction under the rear sight dovetail and left lead and shot about 3" at 50 yards until firelapped.

Boolit Master
    I dont know the reason but some 1894's are finicky as to bullet length and design. I ve got one 44 mag and have had to disassemble it more than once to get loads out with the mp432640. but if I load shorter bullets into it it is no problem. these are all pre safety/1983 marlins I have experience with.
    but the other older 44 mag seems to feed just about anything I put into it. and I'm not a big fan of filing, sanding, grinding of parts that are just about impossible to find at any price. its just about time for that marlin to go to a new owner who likes factory ammo and jacketed bullets.
    one more thing about the 1894's. if the screws that hold the magazine tube get even just a little bit loose it can cause feeding and jamming problems
    Last edited by farmbif; 05-28-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast