Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Mountain Barrel Company

Banned

Green Mountain Barrel Company

is green mountain any good for blank barrels? is there another place to go to?

my gunsmith don't know about them.

thanks!!!

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/25-round-barrel-blanks/

Boolit Master
    While I have not bought a blank from them, I do have a .32 caliber and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
    Have not heard, or read, a bad word regarding their barrels.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a stainless steel blank, 30 caliber 12 twist. I turned it down, and when I chambered it, I pushed pilot bushings through and it seemed consistent. I has shot fairly well. Then, I friend wanted the cheapest barrel he could get to do a 300 Blackout, so he got a CM green mountain and it was horrible inside.

Last I checked, many of their barrels were out of stock.

I have used many of their barrels, both for muzzleloaders and modern. I'd say they are not as good as a top notch barrel like a Bartlein or Kreiger but better than any American factory rifle barrel. Sort of in the same league as Shilen or ER Shaw. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I order about a dozen or so barrel blanks from them a year, a mix of their gunsmith blanks and usually their 27" turned blanks. Just had two blanks delivered last week and have 12 on back order with them. They have two basic levels of barrel blanks. The turned blanks get turned between centers and have a nicer bore finish. The gunsmith blanks have the unturned OD and generally aren't as smooth inside as the turned blanks since they're an economy version and it is unreasonable to expect it to be as nice as a much more expensive blank. The gun I hunted with this past season has a 22" barrel made from a $43 GMB .40" gunsmith blank on it and the bullet holes will touch with it using 195gr barnes bullets. The 16" barrel I used the season before was the same blank and it shoots about 3/4". The difference could be the barrel, how the extension fits to the blank or the upper, the crown ect but at any rate a deer will never be able to tell the difference. If going with a gunsmith blank be forewarned that they mark the muzzle on them and not the chamber end if marked at all other than with a paint pen on the side to say what it is. You can always double check the runout since it will be worse on the muzzle end. Their turned blanks are stamped normally on the chamber end. If I was paying to have a barrel made I'd use one of their turned blanks as they do shoot better. If you're trying to make a match winning bench rest rifle I'd look elsewhere and get out your wallet. For general shooting or hunting they're a good value for what you get.

Noblade brought up a good comparrison. I had 4 ER Shaw 450BM blanks and 3 $49 GMB gunsmith blanks that I made 16" + 18" 450BM barrels from. They all shot comparably.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 02-20-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used them, they shoot well and machine very nicely.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Shilen IMHO should not be lumped in with ER Shaw . I have used quite a few Shilen barrels and have always been happy.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post

is green mountain any good for blank barrels ?

is there another place to go to?

my gunsmith don't know about them.

GM is the Gold Standard for aftermarket firearm barrels , and your gunsmith never heard of them ? ? ?

It sounds like he must have never fitted barrels....

You might want to consider using a gunsmith who has.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I've only used one of their barrel blanks and am very pleased with it. I would buy from them again.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    GM is the Gold Standard for aftermarket firearm barrels , and your gunsmith never heard of them ? ? ?

It sounds like he must have never fitted barrels....

You might want to consider using a gunsmith who has.

he does douglas, shilen, kreiger, brux, lilja.......but he has never heard of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I order about a dozen or so barrel blanks from them a year, a mix of their gunsmith blanks and usually their 27" turned blanks. Just had two blanks delivered last week and have 12 on back order with them. They have two basic levels of barrel blanks. The turned blanks get turned between centers and have a nicer bore finish. The gunsmith blanks have the unturned OD and generally aren't as smooth inside as the turned blanks since they're an economy version and it is unreasonable to expect it to be as nice as a much more expensive blank. The gun I hunted with this past season has a 22" barrel made from a $43 GMB .40" gunsmith blank on it and the bullet holes will touch with it using 195gr barnes bullets. The 16" barrel I used the season before was the same blank and it shoots about 3/4". The difference could be the barrel, how the extension fits to the blank or the upper, the crown ect but at any rate a deer will never be able to tell the difference. If going with a gunsmith blank be forewarned that they mark the muzzle on them and not the chamber end if marked at all other than with a paint pen on the side to say what it is. You can always double check the runout since it will be worse on the muzzle end. Their turned blanks are stamped normally on the chamber end. If I was paying to have a barrel made I'd use one of their turned blanks as they do shoot better. If you're trying to make a match winning bench rest rifle I'd look elsewhere and get out your wallet. For general shooting or hunting they're a good value for what you get.

Noblade brought up a good comparrison. I had 4 ER Shaw 450BM blanks and 3 $49 GMB gunsmith blanks that I made 16" + 18" 450BM barrels from. They all shot comparably.

thanks, i'll remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    Shilen IMHO should not be lumped in with ER Shaw . I have used quite a few Shilen barrels and have always been happy.

Bill
    I agree, they are a step up for sure. I was mainly thinking cut rifle vs button.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several GM barrels on Black Powder cartridge rifles and all are very good. Also douglas, shilen, badger, kreiger, pac nor and a lilja. I will say a good gunsmith can make a lesser barrel look better but a poor smith can make a great barrel look bad. The other important area to look at is if you happen to get a bad barrel what is the companies reputation for standing behind their product?

What are you having made?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    What are you having made?
    i have a sporterized carcano m91/38 (35 rem) or a sporterized 1916 spanish mauser(93 mauser, 257 bob) that needs rebarreled. i usually go with Douglas, but i want something "cheaper". i guess i am starting an inexpensive "custom" build.

Boolit Master
    At least 12yrs ago I got a 35 cal pre turned barrel for my Martini 357 Max martini Cadet conversion and I am very happy with it. I would have more but seems they are no longer sent over to Australia. I have just picked up an IBI barrel in 6mm for a Cadet conversion to 6x50r. Regards Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i have a sporterized carcano m91/38 (35 rem) or a sporterized 1916 spanish mauser(93 mauser, 257 bob) that needs rebarreled. i usually go with Douglas, but i want something "cheaper". i guess i am starting an inexpensive "custom" build.
    I have a Cooey double set trigger carcano action and stock. I'm debating 762x39 or 35Rem octagon or half octagon barrel for it. I put a turned Green mountain blank on a 1891 mauser in 44x1.8" (so it was legal to hunt with in MI limited zone). The turned GMB blanks make great shooters and I'd have no reservations using one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1891-44x1.8barrelfit.jpg   Octagon10.JPG   Msite-10.jpg  

Have a 223 rem barrel and 30/40 Krag barrel made from their blanks, they shoot better then I can see. I have coke bottle eye glasses and turned 71 maybe that is it. I only shoot out to 250 yards but have no complaints

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is this good enough accuracy for a Green Mountain Barrel … 45-70, 500gr bullet on a H&R Classic … 5 reloads BP at 600 yds on paper … 5” group in the 7 ring with a 3 shot clover leaf that could be covered with a silver dollar ,,, 2 club members witnesses. Also, accurate to 1000 yards
    Any better groups, post them
    Regards
    John

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Over the years John Taylor has done over a dozen projects for me to include single-shot hunting and stalking rifles, lever actions, single-action revolvers and "Bunny Guns" in various calibers which required machining a new barrel from a gunsmith blank. Most of the time he has used Green Mountain gunsmith specials and both of us have been very well satisfied. When I was QA Manager for Ruger's Newport, NH operations in the mid-1980s we used a great deal of GM product in regular production and they were always top drawer people to deal with.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast