RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green Mountain Barrel Company

Boolit Man
    Moleman, what is the 44x1.8? Is that a straight or bottleneck case? Same as the 44-60?
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearcricket View Post
    Moleman, what is the 44x1.8? Is that a straight or bottleneck case? Same as the 44-60?
    Sam
    It's a straight walled case, basically a 44AMP on steroids (off of 30-06 or 308). Michigans Zone 3 where I hunt is a straight walled hunting zone for deer with a 1.8" max case length. Can use my 30-06 to hunt coyotes if I want, but not deer. The slightly shorter 44x1.6" is the same case length and case capacity as 445-SM and I've done them also but not with GMB blanks. 44x1.6" will work in ar15's with 450BM bolts and mags where as you have to go to the 308 type AR or use a 22-250 bolt and extension with the 44x1.8" because of the pressure. I have a LR308 clone with a 16" 44x1.8" green mountain barrel that puts the 225ftx into a ragged hole if I haven't had too much coffee. For deer hunting with 265 FN interlocks the 16" barrel is slightly faster than my 444 Marlin with a 21.5" barrel and about the same speed as the 444 with the 265FTX since they're longer and take up more case capacity. It'll push one of the 265FTX through about 36" of deer. Also have put 44x1.8" in an ar15 using a 22-250 bolt, but again not with a GMB blank. Sarco had a bunch of cheapie 44 SS blanks a few years back I got for test barrels that actually shot decent . Otherwise those would of been made with one of the GMB RX44M 27" blanks. Pics of the LR308 44x1.8" with the GMB RX44M 27" blank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AR10-1.jpg   44x1.8GMBweightloss.JPG   44BGM-Hybrid.jpg   IMG_0666.JPG  

I have built 338-06, 280 Rem AI and 25-06 using Green mountain short chambered 98 Mauser barrels and a 9.3x 62mm Mauser from a greem mountain blank and have been very happy with all of them I am sure I will be using more of them.

Boolit Buddy

Todd
    Have you tried Ragged Hole Barrels?
    I have a couple of them one in .17, the other is on my .416 Taylor.
    Really good prices and great service.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkpwdrbuff View Post
    Todd
    Have you tried Ragged Hole Barrels?
    I have a couple of them one in .17, the other is on my .416 Taylor.
    Really good prices and great service.
    Blkpwdrbuff

i haven't had the chance to buy anything since my dad's funeral. i give them a looksee.

I'm also doing another 35 Rem, this time again on a SR Mauser. Bought a barrel from McGowen and it's perfect. Bought prechambered and it only took .010 off the front of the receiver to be right on for headspace and bolt/breach clearance.

99% of the time I choose the barrel I use, so with the same work used to fit and finish a barrel, I always try to start with the best barrel I can get at the time, saves a bunch of aggravation. Nothing quite like finishing up a nice rifle (I do wood and steel) and having it not make the cut, then have to start all over again with a $100 more expensive barrel, that does shoot. 99% of the time, with a barrel, you get what you pay for.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a few GM barrels. If I remember right from their old website the gunsmith special barrels are not lapped, while the pre-turned barrels are.
    I have used several gunsmith barrels and fire-lapped them and they are good shooters. Not target grade but fine for cheap builds.
    MGM is using Green Mountain barrels now and I have seen no complaints on them.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It is my understanding that GM supplied the Adams and Bennett barrels sold by Midway among others . I have 2 in 257 , 2 in 7×57 that have performed well . I have a pair of .451s pending.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't know that GM supplied A&B barrels. No wonder my .270 Frankenstein Mauser shoots so well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12