Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need Chamber cut and fitted to Large ring 98 action

Boolit Bub

Need Chamber cut and fitted to Large ring 98 action

I could use a referral from someone who knows good work when they see it. I have a Lothar Walther stepped barrel for a K98 with .264 bore that is not chambered. It is threaded and crowned. I would like to make a 260 Remington so I could use necked down 308 brass. My tastes are simple I want the best. Message or E-Mail me kysunfish@comcast.net Thanks

Boolit Bub
    If they have a 4 jaw chuck and steady rest I can pay the bill. I'm not interested in a slop job

Boolit Grand Master

Better is a turned center in the head stock and steady rest. You cant get in side the 4 jaw to indicate the bore in. Or a 4 jaw and a spider.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stockcarver View Post
    4 jaw works just fine if a gent knows what he is doing. Spider on the other end.

Note the pumped coolant. And the floating reamer holder. If the smithy is not using pumped coolant, go somewhere else.

I have chambered around 200 barrels in my lifetime, when I first started I was doing it all wrong.

I only work on my personal rifle builds now. Current project is a 9.3x62 on a 98 action.
    I have done about 6 without flush coolant and I have had no problems!
    I have to go slow and clear the chips often. I use sulphur thread cutting oil and kerosene to wash the chips off the reamer and air to clear the chamber.
    I was taught by a master machinist and gunsmith that built quite a few rifles for me and plenty of other people.

Calling John Taylor.

Boolit Grand Master

Lot of us have the knowledge and equipment to properly chamber barrels. The issue is to receive the action the smith will need an FFL unless the owners is physically present.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I could ship it to someone who has a C&R with the original barrel screwed in. I have a Barrel vise and receiver wrench. I have a valid C&R
    Last edited by kysunfish; 03-02-2024 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Calling John Taylor.
    I'm backed up about 6 months.

Boolit Bub
    Anything worth having is worth waiting for. Thanks John Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have done about 6 without flush coolant and I have had no problems!
    I have to go slow and clear the chips often. I use sulphur thread cutting oil and kerosene to wash the chips off the reamer and air to clear the chamber.
    I was taught by a master machinist and gunsmith that built quite a few rifles for me and plenty of other people.
    Nothing at all wrong with those methods. I do it the same way without any problems using a double spider and a floating reamer holder I built for myself.