Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alox versus Powder (contact)

Boolit Master
    There is a sticky at the top of this lube forum started by Ben. He mixed Lee Alox and liquid floor wax. I have used it for handgun and some small rifle loads, it seems to work well. The lube is thin and dries harder than straight Lee Alox and is not as sticky. I do have some 38 spcl rounds lubed with Lee Alox that have been loaded for years that work fine but have not been exposed to harsh conditions. The advice to use thin coats and dry well is good.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Archive thread for your reading …
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/arc.../t-136692.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies. I tried to post a photo of Johnson Paste Wax in the 16 ounce YELLOW can and was
    not successful. Can this be used to make bullet lube?

Thanks and y'all have a great weekend, Bo

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    , I kept a rag on my thigh to wipe the bottoms free of grease.
    I have had issues with a regular lube/sizer leaving lube on boolit bases.
    When not taking time to actually fix the problem, that's what I do.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I am no expert but the CLEANEST way I have found with alox is with a pie pan that holds 100 boolits. Pour a little alox in the pan along with mineral spirits and don't worry about mixing. Heat the boolits<I use a heat gun but a hair dryer will work. Pour the heated boolits in the pan and act like you are panning for gold. You can adjust the mix when it turns liquid. When the color is right take tweezers and stand them up<I use an old computer panel>then for the next batch. You can heat the boolits every once in a while <that wiil make then smooth on top>and they will be dry enough to load in 3 hours. When you get through scrape the used alox and put in a small airtight bottle for the next time. This takes longer but the boolits look better and no scraping or wiping. Also the dies stay cleaner.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-25-2022 at 08:14 PM.

The way I do it is this. Pour one bottle of lee alox and one can of Johnson’s paste wax into a pot and mix together in low heat. Then pour it into bottles when it’s cool enough not to deform the bottle. Empty alox bottles or ketchup bottles.

When I lube, I hear my alox mix in the micro wave and check it ever 10-15 seconds till it’s good and hot and runny. While I’m doing this to he’s the bullets with a hair dryer in a small box. I dump the bullets in a ziploc bag and give a squirt of lube. Then I knead the bag well and the bullets get costed thoroughly. Then I dump them out and let dry. Wax paper, or paper plates.

It’s easy and fast and dries hard.

Normally I do this with lee tumble lube bullets. I size them before lubing using nothing on them when sizing. This works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and willingness to help, fellers! SILVERCREEK: Indeed there is a lot of Alox on these after my tumbling in a food container. GOOD Suggestion on thinning with spirits!

So how much Alox (wax) Really needs to be on these things? Bear in mind I came from pressure-sizing with Lyman sizer/lubricator where all grooves are packed with wax. I would love to give these a lighter coating. Mine are sticking to wax paper and each other since drying. Excess wax is coming out of the Rockchucker and Lee Sizing die in slivers.

** AND...........Silvercreek: Are you in Burke County?

Thanks to all and have a great week, Bo
    This video really helped me, he has some good ones, not to mention the massive amount of MENTORING I have gotten here on CB.
    https://youtu.be/kVg_6CbVfBA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Boolit Bub
    You fellers have just convinced me to try the 45-45-10 formula. Going to get a can of Johnson's tomorrow on my way back from a gun show.

Alox versus Powder (contact)

You fellers have just convinced me to try the 45-45-10 formula. Going to get a can of Johnson's tomorrow on my way back from a gun show.
    Ah, the smell alone will make you cry with feelings of freedom! I also have a Lyman 450 lube sizer and it’s great but the 45-45-10 is just exponentially more efficient and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spoonz; 02-26-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Boolit Buddy

Or just buy some already mixed.

https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index....r65ucmh55ig1n1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12