RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rejuvenating Files

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Rejuvenating Files

Several times I’ve heard that you can rejuvenate a dull file by soaking it in acid. Does this really work, if so how well and what acid? HCl?
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Depends on what material they are clogged up with. That said, a dull file can't be saved. You can turn it into a knife of some sorts with a lot of work. My method & I've rescued a few good old ones [worth the whiskey]. Treat it like a rifle barrel, Solvent, card file it, oil, Little more work with a good file card brush. You may need to do the solvent thing a few times. After that, use chalk, the greasy stick type found in welding supply shops. I hope that helps you. Keep Them Clean & avoid the grief. uncle mike in ct
    Last edited by unclemikeinct; 02-19-2022 at 06:08 AM. Reason: add to

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-19-2022 at 06:44 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I’m interested in whether or not they actually get sharper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m interested in whether or not they actually get sharper.
    Yes, it works very well provided the teeth are not chipped or have large flat spots of wear. Works best with a properly cared for file that just got dull. Not as good a new but they do close if done properly.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Do yourself a favor, and just send them to Boggs. Very reasonable. They come back scary sharp, and they will use red dykem to mark any that can't be sharpened again.

I have done the home acid sharpening, and it didn't do that great of a job.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I have used vinegar occasionally. A soak in a 50-50 mix of vinegar and peroxide will help. We also used muratic acid. these help but its not as good as the new file with a few strokes on it.
    Last edited by country gent; 02-19-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master

Moderator Emeritus

This topic came up quite a few years ago. While I have a fairly large collection of old USA made metal files, I had never heard of sharpening them, or the DIY acid clean/refurbish.

So I sent a portion of my best files, 25 of them, to Boggs. Like waksupi said, when I got them back, they were scary sharp and it was reasonably priced.

I had about 30 more metal files, I researched the DIY refurb methods and gave it a try. I bought a gallon of Milkstone remover (Phosphoric acid), only costs $12 at the farm store.
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...id-rinse.html#
    The files must be thoroughly degreased first.

I dunk them in the undiluted milkstone remover for 5 minutes...it will foam up some.
    Rinse after removing them from the acid, in clean water.
    Then dunk them in baking soda water solution, to deactivate the acid.
    Then rinse in new clean water, dry them somewhat with a towel and apply a protectant right away (I use WD40), as they will flash rust quickly.

Do all this outside on a summer day with light breeze, have a garden hose handy, as this is a dangerous process.
    I am quite impressed with the results, and while not as sharp as Boggs, they come out much sharper than they were before.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Waste of time, turn your too dull for steel files for brass use, use chalk to reduce pinning and use a file brush to clean them. They last a long time if you care for them and buy good ones. Nothing is less productive or more aggravating than a dull file.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Waste of time, turn your too dull for steel files for brass use, use chalk to reduce pinning and use a file brush to clean them. They last a long time if you care for them and buy good ones. Nothing is less productive or more aggravating than a dull file.
    Your last sentence pretty much describes every file that my father owned, drill bits where the same. They where so bad my mother bought her own files to sharpen her gardening shovels and her own set of drill bits.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m in France, so it’s probably not practical for me to send file to Boggs. I can’t help but wondering what process they use to refurbish files. Does anyone know how it is done?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m in France, so it’s probably not practical for me to send file to Boggs. I can’t help but wondering what process they use to refurbish files. Does anyone know how it is done?
    they explain it on their website
    https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services

We sharpen files, rasps and key cutters using (liquid honing) abrasives driven by steam pressure.
    The abrasive blast removes metal from the backsides of the teeth until the edge is reformed. We
    make these edges very sharp.

All files are sharpened first, then block-tested and inspected. If they fail, they are marked red.
    This means they cannot be sharpened again so please do not send them back to us. These
    (rejected) files are vastly improved and will still give you plenty of use.

Rust is not a problem. We can remove most, if not all, of the rust depending on where it is at.
    Some brand-new files are not as sharp as they can be when first purchased. We sharpen new files
    as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    One of the "other" things that causes the me bug to the light is files. Flea markets, an old tool box, etc. I have many and also cannot throw away the bad ones just in case of something! I have recovered some beauties well older than I with real alloy instead of this new meatloaf Chinese stuff. Rusty or dirty clogged or both, card and pick clean, card some more. Then OSPHO hit with a bronze brush in shallow plastic tray and double, double toil and trouble and wipe and blow before dry. They turn out great if they were worthy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    they explain it on their website
    https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services
    Thanks for the info. It sounds interesting, but I am afraid the postage will maybe make it impractical for me. However, I will look into it.