Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well had to try CCI again

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 296745Attachment 296746I went to a local Walmart yesterday for other items but noticed they had some 22 RF in stock at not to bad a price so I picked up just one carton of 325 for $ 21.00. I have never seen this particular Federal ammo before so I will see how it shoots before considering buying more. It figures to be about 6.5 cents a round which is a bit high for junk ammo but if it shoots good it would be worth it.

Jedman
    When they were the first, and only, 22LR ammo I could find last summer I bought a few boxes for $17 at Walmart before the $4 price hike. Figured I’d use them for plinking and trap line worst case scenario if they didn’t shoot. The only thing I tried them in was my Anshutz woodchuck. I had a pencil eraser size group with 5 shots at 50 yards and a 1 1/4” 5 shot group at 100 yards as stated above. They work good on trap line but haven’t tested them on small hunting at distance yet. Had zero FTFs with them knock on wood.

FYI if anyone is need of turkey ammo I bought a bunch of Remington nitro turkey 10 round loads at Walmart for $5.96 a box and also some 5 round boxes of hi velocity versions for $6.78 a box. I’m sure the price will go up on them as well. Don’t remember buying 10 round boxes of 3” #5 turkey loads for $6 ever. I think I paid more in the late 80’s for them.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting mostly CCI SV in all my .22s, handguns and rifles, for about twenty years. In it's price range, it's been remarkably accurate in good quality .22s that are pretty much straight-out-of-the-box and unmolested. In scoped rifles (6X is the most powerful magnification I have on a .22) it will often shoot into a half-inch at 50 yards. It's been pretty consistent from case to case as well. I have not shot any from three cases I purchased two or three years ago when it was selling for as little as $200 -$250 per case of 5000. Some say this recent ammo is of lesser quality. That may be true; I don't know yet.

CCI SV will function in every semi-auto pistol or rifle I've tried it in, something I can't say for many other standard or high-velocity .22 ammos. In many years of shooting CCI SV, I've had one failure to fire with the first pull of the trigger - one in thousands of rounds. While CCI-SV is not the most accurate in every one of my dozen, maybe fifteen, .22 rifles and handguns, overall it's more accurate than other ammo in it's price range.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree that sometimes you get a bad batch from any manufacturer. I've had consistent results with Federal Automatch (and it helps that Walmart always has them in stock) but Winchester can be hit or miss.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 296745Attachment 296746I went to a local Walmart yesterday for other items but noticed they had some 22 RF in stock at not to bad a price so I picked up just one carton of 325 for $ 21.00. I have never seen this particular Federal ammo before so I will see how it shoots before considering buying more. It figures to be about 6.5 cents a round which is a bit high for junk ammo but if it shoots good it would be worth it.

Jedman
    I believe Federal came out with "AutoMatch"...or should I say rebranded Champion? after the 2013-14 rimfire shortages.
    I rarely buy bulk pack 22lr, but the AutoMatch was the first to show up after 2014, so I bought a couple packs. It has functioned well in a Ruger MKII and a Henry levergun. I never bench tested for accuracy, but I did hit was I was aiming at when shooting offhand.
    That's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I believe Federal came out with "AutoMatch"...or should I say rebranded Champion? after the 2013-14 rimfire shortages.
    I rarely buy bulk pack 22lr, but the AutoMatch was the first to show up after 2014, so I bought a couple packs. It has functioned well in a Ruger MKII and a Henry levergun. I never bench tested for accuracy, but I did hit was I was aiming at when shooting offhand.
    That's my 2˘
    Regarding Auto Match...several years ago I tried about twenty-five .22 LR ammos that were all in the price range that most of us use, from the real cheap bulk stuff up through the better CCI, Remington, Federal, Winchester, Aguila, etc. products, but no "pure" and expensive target ammo. I fired five, five-shot groups (I know, statistically flawed, but good enough for most of us) at fifty yards with each of two scoped rifles. The Auto Match was just a fraction behind the costlier CCI SV, which shoots good in about anything. The Auto Match averaged .68" which I think is very good for cheap ammo. Of course, we all know some batches may provide better or worse figures than my results.

Now I need the weather to calm down to go shoot some of the Federal auto match ammo. We have had typical late winter weather where it’s always windy and some days really cold others a little nicer but always a 20 mph + wind
    I I have several single shot rifles I want to try it in, a M 12/15 martini and a Mauser BSW bolt action scoped with a sporter barrel and a 2 lb. trigger.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I'm glad some of you are enjoying good results with Auto Match. I bought some when they first came out. I have yet to find a rifle or pistol that did well with it. Poor accuracy in everything I tried it in. Maybe I got a bad batch.

Boolit Master

I also use CCI standard velocity 40 gr in my .22 semi-auto and they are way more accurate than any of the High Velocity rounds I've tried.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I'm glad some of you are enjoying good results with Auto Match. I bought some when they first came out. I have yet to find a rifle or pistol that did well with it. Poor accuracy in everything I tried it in. Maybe I got a bad batch.
    Probably the case. Until I started buying top level match ammunition, auto match was my best shooting ammo in nearly everything. I only had one revolver that didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That's my 2˘
    Actually federal used the cmp as a testing ground (that white box thing that all mfg's test with) back in +/- 2011. They got excellent feedback from the cmp and decided to roll with it on a commercial scale.

This ammo was designed to be used at the club level with pistols.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Actually federal used the cmp as a testing ground (that white box thing that all mfg's test with) back in +/- 2011. They got excellent feedback from the cmp and decided to roll with it on a commercial scale.

This ammo was designed to be used at the club level with pistols.
    Thanks.

that's good info.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I remember for the Atlanta Olympics, Federal made a big deal about making the ammo for the US shooters. They came out with a special match round with a dimple in the base of the case like some of the Russian match ammo of the day. The first couple of lots were ok. When they started selling it, boxes of ammo would have some dimpled cases, some regular cases and it shot like crap, still supposedly the Olympic match ammo at the Olympic match ammo price. Haven't trusted Federal rimfire ammo since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12