Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Vs. Kubota

Boolit Grand Master

JD Vs. Kubota

Looking to get a small tractor for the wife. She likes to mow the pasture but her JD770 is too big for her.
    Been looking at a JD1025 and a Kubota B2601. She prefers the hydrostatic pedals on the JD vs the Kubota, but likes the seat better on the Kubota. The Kubota is a bit larger but she still likes it, but her only dislike is the hydrostatic pedal arrangement. I like the lower idle speed (1500 vs 800) on the Kubota and the bit larger tires which I think would give a better ride.

Anyone have one of these and can give me your likes/dislikes.

Drawback to the Kubota is that they don't know when they could get the mower for the thing

Boolit Master
    I can only give a small amount advice . The guy that does my ditch digging for me loves Kubota equipment has mini x diggers ,trac hoe diggers and small tractor for mowing. He also use a JD track hoe. I have used his Kubota tractor with a pull behind mower deck I thought it was very nice. I hope this will help a little.

Boolit Master
    In my opinion, the most important aspect to tractor ownership is competent local dealer support. Most of the common brands are similar with regard to specs and performance. You might also look at Mahindra - commercial private shredding companies around here use that brand and will tell you they are bulletproof. The state of Texas generally uses big JD machines with an AC cab for road median mowing but the state probably has a long term purchase contract.

With that said, my neighbor has a Kubota B2150, which is an older version of this same general family you mentioned. He bought it new in 1994 and has experienced little to no trouble over all these years. He has broken some items but it was operator error rather than the machine.

I have a large JD tractor and the main issue I've discovered after owning two Fords is that JD is very proud of their OEM parts; many SKU's are two to three times more expensive than other brands.

If it were my decision and all else was equal, I would buy the Kubota.

Kubota. I have a 2620 with a belly mower makes short work out of a hay field.
    I like it

Boolit Buddy
    IIRC Deere is supposed to have fixed their equipment to where nobody other than Deere dealerships can repair them. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a John Deere 2305, came with my place when I bought it. I like it and it has served me well. However, I am not a fan and when my Brother was looking to buy something like it I suggested whatever was close to him and not a John Deere. Deere stuff is simply overpriced.

Kubota is a great option (that is what he ended up buying) but whatever is close would also be high on my list if I were looking.

To make my Deere situation worse, the local dealer closed up last year.......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    IIRC Deere is supposed to have fixed their equipment to where nobody other than Deere dealerships can repair them. That’s a deal breaker for me.
    That is absolutely correct. Readers digest had a huge article about how ticked farmers were about that. Deere claims everything in their electronic systems is “proprietary” and won’t release any info to consumers or independent mechanics. Ridiculous!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    If just mowing, a zero turn is a better option if the ground is in decent shape.

If you have an LS dealer look at them. LS was not on my list when I was shopping but I wound up buying one. A lot more tractor at a lower price and a very good warranty. My dealer has been excellent. I bought my Bad Boy ZT from him as well.
    Don Verna

I've a 25hp Tym, made for cabelas. Bought 5 years ago. Mid mower. I cut almost 4 acres with mine, most flat, some hills. 4wd makes it safe on the hills, no matter which way I go. But it is a pain to remove the mower. JD supposedly has a drive over to attach. I'd have to see it in use to determine if better, but kubota like tym isn't. If only for mowing, yes, get good zero turn for half the price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Much of this is a Ford or Chevy situation. I do agree that with JD you pay extra for the name. Kubota is very popular. We looked at many a couple years ago and ended up with a NH Boomer. Major factor in that decision was the NH dealer around here was miles better than the JD and Kubota dealers. After two years of hard use we are thrilled with our decision.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    it only has to do with the computer, any other part that breaks, you can buy and fix yourself.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Thumbs up to Kabota in general. I would worry about JD’s policy of not letting you work on your own equipment.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Sold my pre emissions JD 2950, bought a pre emissions Kubota with a front end loader. John Deere, if I remember correctly, locked their ecm on their equipment to prevent tampering with emissions equipment. No more deleting, altering the power outputs, or bypassing any emissions controls now. Want to bet that some computer geek hacker type has already figured it out? Just my opinions, as always. Good luck in whatever direction you proceed.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I wish Kubota would make something that's Not ORANGE
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Much of this is a Ford or Chevy situation. I do agree that with JD you pay extra for the name. Kubota is very popular. We looked at many a couple years ago and ended up with a NH Boomer. Major factor in that decision was the NH dealer around here was miles better than the JD and Kubota dealers. After two years of hard use we are thrilled with our decision.
    LS makes many of the NH tractors. Another reason I got the LS. LS had more features than the same NH model and was $3k less. No brainer. Even if the LS dealer goes belly up, parts will be available from NH.
    Don Verna

I have a bigger place, looked at different tractors, have many customers with equipment schedules, including rental equipment dealers. The Kubota owners were very happy with their equipment, so I bought a L4400, probably would buy an M today to get a bit heavier frame with industrial tires, filled with water, 4x4 with a manual transmission for added power. I added a 2,000 pound lift capacity to the FEL, when I added a grapple.
    I mow with a 6’ bush hog. It is the biggest tractor I can get between the planted pines.
    It takes two days of dry time to put the tractor on the yard.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Ask her which one she wants and buy that . I used a JD 955 with a 72" belly mower to cut my in laws 5 acres with , took about an hour and I'm slow. If it's flat and reasonably dry turf tires are fine but if it gets wet and soft and there's any hill to it get the Ag type tires . Mine has turf tires and can get slippery on damp hilly spots . How big is your pasture ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I wish Kubota would make something that's Not ORANGE
    Pittsburgh makes paint pretty cheap.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I have a 1025 with a belly mower and a loader bucket. It works way out of proportion for it's size. Any after market attachment will fit and work fine. I got my 5' rototiller, PTO spreader and quick detach from the local TSC. I would suggest that if you get additional attachments, get the quick detach. One reason is it make implement changes a breeze and second, you will probably have to shorten your PTO shaft if you don't. I haven't found any difference in getting parts and service from any tractor dealer regardless of manufacture. I have both JD and Massey Ferguson. Kubota though popular with some, a couple of contractors I work with had purchased compact sized tractors (the 1025 is a sub compact) and found them under powered and break down prone eventually swapped them out for an equivalent sized John Deere tractor and remain pleased with the performance. Good luck on your purchase.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 02-17-2022 at 06:58 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I bought a 17HP Kubota back in 1981-83(?). Still have and it still runs just fine. Tires and hydraulic hoses, rebuild of the hydraulic controls for the bucket(not Kubota). Have a John Deere zero-turn mower, mostly because John Deere is about the only dealer for zero-turns for 50 miles. It does cut a lot grass fast compared to the old riding mower. No Kubota dealer nearby here so went with the John Deere, for just mowing, hard to beat zero-turn. Back when I got the Kubota, all the rental shops ran Kubota tractors, my reason for the Kubota, they were not wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast