Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GXCS3 Compressor?

Moderator Emeritus

GXCS3 Compressor?

A range-buddy rang me inquiring my thoughts re the GXCS3 PCP air compressor, available on Amazon for $479 USD. < https://www.amazon.com/GX-Compressor...NsaWNrPXRydWU= >
    He does not wish to go the extra bucks for the Nomad as I have, and -- to his research -- this GX CS3 seems a better unit than those in the $279 range.
    I know nothing re any of these, other than I meticulously put in the requisite oil as directed in my Nomad II compressor; change the filter as recommended; and, my unit has been nothing other than a pleasure for me to enjoy having.
    That said, I told him I'd post an inquiry on this site; perhaps one of the airgun gurus here may be able to offer some pros/cons/thoughts?
    Thanks!

geo

Boolit Bub
    I have one. I bought it a year ago, and it has been great. Too small to fill big bottles, but perfect to fill gun bottles. I have had zero problems, and love the auto-stop—I can set it then refill each time to the same psi. I call it “poor man’s tethering “!

Boolit Buddy
    Just following along hoping to learn something. Been thinking about the PCP route lately after reading some posts by Dverna about them.

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends....
    If he has or will get a tank down the road, it is not a good compressor as it has a short duty cycle and it will not fill the tank without repeated cool downs.

I took NSB’s advice and got the tank. I get 4000 shots from a tank. Cost to fill is $10. I can get 48 tank fills for the cost of the compressor. Tank cost $600, but no maintenance.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It depends....
    If he has or will get a tank down the road, it is not a good compressor as it has a short duty cycle and it will not fill the tank without repeated cool downs.

I took NSB’s advice and got the tank. I get 4000 shots from a tank. Cost to fill is $10. I can get 48 tank fills for the cost of the compressor. Tank cost $600, but no maintenance.
    My friend is quite restrictive re any funds being spent by him , and bought a brand new $159.00 PCP air pistol. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCP pistol.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	296573 At his age (mid-late 70's) I'm pretty certain he shan't be purchasing even another airgun. Along with his financial astuteness he was driven -- from his advanced arthritis -- to not even consider a hand pump, and the closest place where a tank maybe filled is roughly thirty miles away -- with complications. "Complications?" They do not fill on sight, but tanks are sent to a city 172 miles distance, hydro inspected, and returned -- generally three days turnaround.
    "Yes" -- it is possible and doable to go the tank route. But, as even in my case -- the portable 12V and 110V compressor seems the way to go. (*I* also have a few springers should I run out of air...
    Re Capt Keith's post -- thank you -- I'm printing it and passing it along.)
    geo

Boolit Master
    Just a reminder to everyone who owns a large tank: You might want to check with your fire department. They all use SCBD tanks for fire fighting. They may fill your tank for a small donation. Some will, some won’t. It doesn’t hurt to find out.

I have a Hatsan 135 Vortex .25 caliber break barrel which is pretty awesome, hits like a sledgehammer.
    Recently I bought an ATN digital scope, but do not want to use it on the break barrel due to the scope killing recoil break barrels are known for.
    So, I have been entertaining the idea of getting a PCP rifle in .25 caliber so I can play around with my digital scope in the backyard.
    Should I even consider a handpump for this or just get the compressor?
    Perhaps start out with the handpump and later spring for the compressor?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have a Hatsan 135 Vortex .25 caliber break barrel which is pretty awesome, hits like a sledgehammer.
    Recently I bought an ATN digital scope, but do not want to use it on the break barrel due to the scope killing recoil break barrels are known for.
    So, I have been entertaining the idea of getting a PCP rifle in .25 caliber so I can play around with my digital scope in the backyard.
    I bought a Hill pump when I ordered my PCP Daystate. The first five or six fills on the Daystate were with the Hill pump. It’s overstated that it’s too difficult to use a hand pump on a PCP rifle. I’m in my mid seventies with four cardiac stents in place. I can full my Daystate tank (the tank on the gun) which is 168cc in about five minutes of pumping and I get about 45-50 good shots from that fill. I’m not wasted or huffing and puffing from using the pump. It’s totally doable to pump. However, I am lazy and would just rather take about 3-5 seconds (yes, seconds) to fill the gun with an SCBD bottle. I’ll get my exercise some other way….maybe walking back and forth checking targets If you want a PCP gun just get a pump to get started. Get the bottle when it’s convenient. One note: if you’re going to hand pump don’t buy a gun with a huge bottle on it. You’ll be hand pumping a long time to fill it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Here is a video. Bear in mind this gentleman is pumping up from 2000 to 3000 psi. You will be doing this about every 20 shots with a .25 cal PCP. It takes even longer to pump from 0-2000 psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ryn_w6hrY

Here another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQrKYbEjsU

And filling from empty only took 118 pumps:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jzOA4b4M8

Look at the age and condition of these "testers". I am 71...no way I would use a hand pump and want to shoot a PCP rifle/pistol as I normally average 250 shots per session. With the tank, I top up after 20-25 shots when doing accuracy testing even though I can go 30 shots with the .22 rifles before velocity drops off.

You will get less shots with .25's.

Plenty of other YouTube videos so you can judge for yourself if the hand pump is going to work for you.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

NSB made some good points. In my areas, "there's too much liability plus 'opening the door for... all'" for fire department tank filling. That said, I started out with a costly Hill Mark-whatever (newest) pump and after maybe the third filling it stopped being fun for me. I read/heard/was told that the "only working is for the first filling; after that it just takes a few pumps to get from, say, 2,000 to 3,000 psi". Maybe -- maybe not. I have two Benjamin Marauder air rifles plus two more in the pistol flavour. All are in .22. Additionally, I have a couple/three additional PCP arms.
    I envy those with tank availability -- if it would be convenient for me, without a doubt that is the route I'd have taken!
    But -- it is what it is -- and the choice -- which turned out to be a stellar one for me (so far) -- was the Nomad II compressor route.
    One added thought I had is the time/expiration date of tanks. I was NOT aware of this, but when I made inquiry with local welding supply shop (which ships tanks out/in} -- SCUBA, Paintball, air-arm, etc. -- the manager advised that tanks are stamped with a manufacture and hydro date. They only have a life of "X" years (often a decade) before they need be hydro tested. Further, he suggested I may wish to check documentation of my air arms. Yup! He is correct as these have dates on their tanks as well.
    Two things come to mind -- 1st, a "headsup" to other good folks on this site who might be contemplating buying a tank on the cheap, say even from an online auction site or even a local fire department selling SCBA ("Scott Air Pack") tanks -- you may wish to check the dates on the tanks! And, unlike say, that Model 8 I have which was made in 1907 and can be shot with no worries -- the little air tanks as part of PCP's do have a finite (safe(?)) life.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    George is correct. My tank has a 15 year life and must be hydro tested every 5 years or a dive shop will not fill it. Hydro testing costs $35 and includes a fill worth $10....so not too bad. The $600 tank will cost me $40/yr if I replace it....I will be 85 Then, so hope that happens..LOL.

Do not buy cheap tanks from eBay. None I found were DOT certified and no one will fill them. You will need your own compressor to fill them. I have not seen reports of them failing...but...

BTW, I nearly bought the compressor George has. It is well regarded and a good choice if someone decides to go that way. The less expensive units were a crap shoot when I looked into it last year.
    Don Verna

I bought the Hatsan Flash Pup in 25 Cal. and a hand pump to start out.
    Entry level gun, but sure it will do fine for me.
    A compressor may be in the near future.
    Now I just need to wait until it all arrives.

Boolit Bub
    I purchased Fx impact m3 last year and at that time also bought the Gxcs3 compressor . So far , no complaints .
    As said earlier , its best for filling air guns or their onboard tanks .
    I cant see ever using it for a large air tank . Mine runs cool and as it pumps slowly ,the stroke isn't hyper fast , it seems to fill the FX impact and not get too warm with the fans running being the only source of cooling . Some other compressors have built in radiator cooling systems with fans and then there's some using the bucket of ice water method ,that also seems to work well for tank filing.
    I figured for the money spent compared to alot of other compressors on the market it was a sound purchase to get my feet wet -so to speak then later invest in a heavier unit .
    I also liked that it was portable in size and easy to hook up to a car battery and the newer unit don't need the addition converter as it looks to be built into the unit now ...figures after I took the plunge .
    Also some of the original first marketed units required grease topping off , through the bolt on the top of the unit ...Mine is supposedly maintenance free . You also get some spare parts from the factory supplied for potential rebuilds ..hope I don't get too familiar with that part but not so far ?
    It should also be stated the Fx impact is regulated . If your shooting unregulated airguns (only a couple hard shots) your going to be needing a tank and good compressor if you plan on shooting very often .

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by baddoglowder View Post
    I purchased Fx impact m3 last year and at that time also bought the Gxcs3 compressor . So far , no complaints .
    As said earlier , its best for filling air guns or their onboard tanks .
    I cant see ever using it for a large air tank . Mine runs cool and as it pumps slowly ,the stroke isn't hyper fast , it seems to fill the FX impact and not get too warm with the fans running being the only source of cooling . Some other compressors have built in radiator cooling systems with fans and then there's some using the bucket of ice water method ,that also seems to work well for tank filing.
    I figured for the money spent compared to alot of other compressors on the market it was a sound purchase to get my feet wet -so to speak then later invest in a heavier unit .
    I also liked that it was portable in size and easy to hook up to a car battery and the newer unit don't need the addition converter as it looks to be built into the unit now ...figures after I took the plunge .
    Also some of the original first marketed units required grease topping off , through the bolt on the top of the unit ...Mine is supposedly maintenance free . You also get some spare parts from the factory supplied for potential rebuilds ..hope I don't get too familiar with that part but not so far ?
    It should also be stated the Fx impact is regulated . If your shooting unregulated airguns (only a couple hard shots) your going to be needing a tank and good compressor if you plan on shooting very often .
    Happy to read your happiness and success with your GXcs3 air compressor! Through the years the one choice it seems manufacturers give us has not changed. To wit, either a wee unit on the several hundred dollar price market for filling individual arms OR those in the thousand(s) dollar range for larger tanks and similar. My wee unit is still chugging away (Nomad II), As a side note, my buddy's quest -- which initiated my initial post in this thread -- was -- after too much time and effort than anyone sane might invest -- he reckoned a Hill Air Pump was the way for him to go, using the compressor at club while there and doing a few pumps for other -- when wanted -- PCP shooting. Hence, he never got a GCXCS3 -- again, thanks for your report.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.YouTube.com/PCP AIR RIFLE HAND PUMP

Hope this works, cheap four uncles hand pump from Amazon $79.95, not sure how long it will last ,but have been filling both my DAR’s for about 3000 shots, no problem so far, takes about 10min to get from 1200psi to 3000psi. Rotates about 12rpm, does not over heat, can buy 4 or 5 hand pumps for the price of a nomad, maybe I should get a spare to keep on hand in case of a failure? Pumps do come with a O ring repair kit.

Built from parts that were on hand, gearbox came off a supermarket check out counter drive belt, was originally connected direct drive to 1725rpm motor , rpm had to be reduced with use of belt and pulley drive system.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    http://www.YouTube.com/PCP AIR RIFLE HAND PUMP

Hope this works, cheap four uncles hand pump from Amazon $79.95, not sure how long it will last ,but have been filling both my DAR’s for about 3000 shots, no problem so far, takes about 10min to get from 1200psi to 3000psi. Rotates about 12rpm, does not over heat, can buy 4 or 5 hand pumps for the price of a nomad, maybe I should get a spare to keep on hand in case of a failure? Pumps do come with a O ring repair kit.

Built from parts that were on hand, gearbox came off a supermarket check out counter drive belt, was originally connected direct drive to 1725rpm motor , rpm had to be reduced with use of belt and pulley drive system.
    Link did not work...RATS!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Oh my try it again, it works on my iPad.

Maybe it works for me because I’m the poster??

Someone else try.

See post below for video
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 04-19-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Oh my try it again, it works on my iPad.

Maybe it works for me because I’m the poster??

Someone else try.
    I tried, too, with no luck. Going backwards/playing detective, the only $79.95 Amazon airpump is: IMAYCC Portable PCP Hand Pump 4500Psi/30Mpa, 3 Stage High Pressure Air Pump for Filling Air Rifles, Scuba Diving, Paintball - Stainless Steel Body with Oil Water Filter ; URL is https://www.amazon.com/IMAYCC-Portab...7&sr=1-25&th=1 . I'm guessing this may be the pump -- re seeking a video showing its automation -- no luck here.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 04-19-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Interesting solution, I will just use the pump manually as I really need the exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast