Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Savage 99 Takedown

Boolit Master

First Savage 99 Takedown

Just picked up my first takedown model 99. Found it from a reputable dealer I have done business with in past at what I considered a very fair price. I guess now I’m going to need brass/dies in 250-3000 as I have never loaded for this caliber. Thought I would share as I have been patiently looking for the right one in this chambering for a while. Is almost in to good of condition as I like to shoot my guns. They didn’t have it listed as a takedown.

I am a bit giddy and no one else to share with…especially the wife, so I am posting to share with my fellow enablers! Not drilled for scope and told an excellent bore. Made in 1920 from the serial, 2194xx, and I believe it to be a deluxe g. Any additional information or corrections greatly appreciated. Should have in hand on Friday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7864DD0F-D7EB-4BB2-99DC-2A99E443BBFD.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	296401

Name:	B252EEEE-7A7E-4DC2-81E5-BCC1FCA791AF.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	296402

Name:	2CDA3A82-3B87-4074-BA42-73D77D4DB1F4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	296403
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 02-16-2022 at 09:34 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    That is awesome!!!!
    Congratulations on your rifle. I have a weak will for take downs, and another one for awesome 99's.
    Betcha that sucker shoots the lights out!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

250 Savage brass is hard to come by currently. It can be easily formed from 22-250.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...to_250_Savage_

I have 3 standard 99's. I would like a TD but have not found one I wanted to pull the trigger on.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-17-2022 at 01:12 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have a takedown in 30-30, will be the last center fire I ever get rid of nice find.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That is awesome!!!!
    Congratulations on your rifle. I have a weak will for take downs, and another one for awesome 99's.

I have two Savage 99's already. One in 30wcf and one in 300. First takedown and I think I was lucky no one else snagged this one before me. Looking forward to shooting it!

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    I have a takedown in 30-30, will be the last center fire I ever get rid of nice find.
    Same feelings here, that 30wcf one I have sure has character, but it isn't a takedown.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That is awesome!!!!

Really looking forward to testing this cartridge out! Has been on my list for some time..
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    I have an early (1903ish) in 30 WCF, and my Canadian uncle leaves his JM marked 1895 in 303 and later 99 in 308 with me. Very fun rifles to mess with. But alas, no takedown.

You apparently acquired a Model 99-G - which might be verified via looking at the front wall of the receiver, under the forend.

Savage often stamped the model designation there.

My latest Savage is a solid frame .303 Savage Model 1899-H Lightweight from 1914.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    1908 Takedown in 303 Sav with Lyman tang sight. Tried to take it apart once but was tight so didn't force it. No need to take it down - tight is good!

Name:	asset.jpeg 
Views:	390 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	296440

Boolit Master

Those are great rifles. I form my brass from 308 or most any of the other 308 family I have handy. A form and trim die makes forming brass easy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Forming 300 Savage from 308 is not a problem. Forming 303 Savage can be done from .220 Swift brass or 30/40 Krag but it is a major undertaking. If 303 Brass was not such a PITA I would have a take down.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/142105231
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I had a 1899 takedown .250-3000 with a Weaver J2.5 in Stith mounts that came to me in " rode very hard and put up wet in the Rockies" condition. No matter, it stacked all bullets below 100 grains into small groups. Of all the 1899s and 99s I've owned, that mutt is missed the most. And the .250 Savage is as close to a perfect cartridge as it gets in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Love the old Savage 1899’s. We both originated from the same place, Utica, NY. My 1913 vintage 303 is a hoot to shoot. Although not common, if your diligent in your search 250 brass can be found reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

Forming 303 Savage can be done from .220 Swift brass or 30/40 Krag but it is a major undertaking.

If 303 Brass was not such a PITA I would have a take down.

I solved that problem via buying several boxes of Hornady .303 Savage loaded cartridges.

https://www.thrillon.com/tag/hornady...150-grain-rnsp
    Last edited by pietro; 02-17-2022 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I solve that problem via buying several boxes of Hornady .303 Savage loaded cartridges.

https://www.thrillon.com/tag/hornady...150-grain-rnsp
    Dang that was not available when I was offered a 303 Savage TD at a reasonable price. Loaded ammo is currently out of stock at Graf's but they do have brass in stock.
    https://admin.grafs.com/retail/catal...roductId/75913

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have enough 303 Savage cases that should cover the rest of my needs as it's not shot that often. I played around making a handful from 303 British cases using John Barsness' technique from an old Handloader article but stopped when some more of the Savage became available. Those are close to fitting just have to reduce the web a bit more and I have a bag of new British cases if I ever get that bored. Also use 30-30 cases FL sized for low power cast roundball plinking loads and didn't notice any difference to the Savage cases but wouldn't use them for anything with more zip than that.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dang that was not available when I was offered a 303 Savage TD at a reasonable price

Actually, that very same thing happened to me about 20 years ago, when I came across a tiny gun shop housed in a steel shipping container in an industrial area (go figure).

The subject was a very well done un-blemished custom Savage 1899-F in .303, complete with factory engraving & a high-grade walnut stock; but I sadly passed because there was zero .303 Savage ammo readily available.

Boolit Master
    For 303 Savage brass, Prvi (PPU headstamp) is available from Graf's and Powder Valley, probably others. It is good brass at a reasonable price. I have loaded quite a bit of it (500-700 rounds).

Boolit Master
    Have a 30-30 one. (99) Condition is average. Bought it for one reason. 3 Generation owner had the matched 410 barrel and 22 HP barrel as his Granddaddy purchased new.
    Having a 250-3000. "Lucky Dog" Those who have one up North of you are seldom willing to sell any 250-3000 cal.

Boolit Master
    kevinakaq,
    I, too have a deluxe Savage m1899, cal 250-3000, lightweight takedown, 1932 vintage checkered,etc.
    Not as nice as yours,and mine sports a vintage Paul Yaeger detachable side scope mount, and a vintage Weaver V7.
    Like yours, it is a 14 twist. So, it needs shorter bullets. I worked up a very accurate load for deer with a Hornady 117 grain Round Nose
    over a charge of Hodgdons Varget. It will group 1" to sub 1" groups at 100yds with this load. I prefer the heavier bullet over the 87 grain ones. Less bloodshot meat..... My same Varget powder charge under 100 grain spitzers or HPs from Speer also shot very well.
    Longer spitzer or boat tail spitzer 117s will likely not shoot well. They are too long for the 14 twist.
    Other similar powders that work well in this ctg are IMR 4320, 4895.
    Hope this helps you get that very nice 1899G shooting well.
    beltfed/arnie
    Last edited by beltfed; 02-20-2022 at 12:15 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a take down in .22 Savage High-power. Delightful to shoot. It came with dies to make brass from .30-30 brass, and a mold. It has been taken down too much and is a bit loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast