Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimping 45acp shotshells- help

Boolit Buddy

Crimping 45acp shotshells- help

Been loading up some 45acp shotshells made from cut down 308 cases. All is good, except when I try and crimp. I'm using both inverted gas checks (home made) and fiber board.

How do you make the roll crimp reliably? Any suggestions and pictures would be appreciated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Which dies are you using?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried using a standard 45acp die (per Grumpas) and nothing seems to work well.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    I've tried using a standard 45acp die (per Grumpas) and nothing seems to work well.
    Are you using the RCBS .45 ACP Long Shot dies meant for revolver use or the NRA design .45 ACP Shot dies which produce a necked down case with rounded crimp like the Speer .45 ACP Shot shells?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I cobbled together some very functional 45 ACP shot shells using dies I had on hand. I form the neck and shoulder on the cut down 308 cases using a 41 Mag sizer die. For crimping the case mouth I use a 7BR seater die. The portion of the 7 BR die that represents the shoulder of the BR case is at the proper location and of a suitable taper to crimp the case mouth of the 45 ACP shot shell. Plus the BR die is of appropriate diameter to support and align the case for crimping. Anyway, that's what I do. It won't help you if you don't happen to have a 7 BR die set.

Boolit Buddy

I crimp with a rcbs 30 carbine seat die.

Boolit Master

I crimp with the tapered opening on the bottom of an RCBS 38/357-seater die.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply so far. To be more precise, I cut and trim 308 cases. Full length resize them in 45acp dies. Next is forming the shoulder with a 41 mag sizing die. Prime, powder, over powder card, shot, followed with either an inverted gas check or a fiber card. I've had some luck using a 38/357 sizing die to form the roll crimp, but it's not consistent.

Boolit Buddy

I prime, powder, 410 shot cup, then form the shoulder with 41 mag size die. I tried the 38/357 seater die and couldn't make it work.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can cut the bottom 1/2 inch off a 308 seater die, they'll work. The seater stem will hold the over shot wad in place while the shoulder of the die rolls the crimp. A carbide rod saw will cut dies, and there may be a newer solution.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    If you can cut the bottom 1/2 inch off a 308 seater die, they'll work. The seater stem will hold the over shot wad in place while the shoulder of the die rolls the crimp. A carbide rod saw will cut dies, and there may be a newer solution.
    That's pretty much what my 7 BR die does. You could also shorten any other 308 based die. 243, 260 Rem, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    That's some great info regarding the 308 based seating die. I guess I'll have to find a donor die now.

Boolit Buddy
    Would a 243 seating die work? How much, if any would it need to be shortened?

Boolit Grand Master
    Before I got my set of RCBS .45 shot dies, I crimped with the opening of a CH4D .38/.357 crimp die. Just adjust the die to the proper spot and lock it in place with the lock ring.

As long as your cases are the same length, you should get a consistent crimp, like using a standard roll crimp shoulder.

From the dim recesses of memory, I think I held the over shot wad down with a pencil while crimping. I did it both with a cardboard wad and a .35 cal gas check.

Robert

And late to the party as usual.

308 Winchester cut down.

Full length size in an old school RCBS steel die, the vintage where there is no decapping pin, just a straight through hole on the die.

Necked down with a 41 Mag sizer to pass the plunk test in my barrel.

Anneal.

Cut over powder wads with a cut in half 30-06 case with the mouth beveled and a 5/16" hole drilled through the base to push the card wads out.

Prime, powder, card wad, shot and a 375 gas check.

Crimp with a 480 Ruger seating die.

Works for me.

Still working on a load that will cycle the action. May go to a lighter spring.
    Last edited by 15meter; 03-14-2023 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The original over powder wad was a remington SP410. They pattern well and the shot doesn't lead your barrel. Kinda hard to find them, or anything else, nowadays, but they are worth the effort.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I made some a while back .
    I know this is so far out side the box .........

I cut an RP 410 case flush with the cylinder face and 250 gr WC 45 Colts data . I had some wiggle room being in a BlackHawk convertible. I used a 410 wad and a 5 point crimp closed with the expander die and finished with a roll crimp to push the crimp shoulder round .

They worked fine for me priming is a hassle without a 410 set up though .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I crimp with the tapered opening on the bottom of an RCBS 38/357-seater die.
    Me too!

I made my over shot card push rod/crimp tool. Photo #3 in this thread.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=45+shotshell

Boolit Grand Master

I cut down fired 7.62 blanks to loaded cartridge OAL, size in 45 ACP die then turn the "bullet" portion down with lathe until that portion is a slip fit into the rifling. A shoulder is thus created at case OAL for proper headspacing. This provides a straight inside diameter and less case to grab the rifling to impede functioning of the pistol. I cut my own over powder wads and for over the shot. Tthe case mouths are roll crimped using the funnel of a Lyman 55 powder thrower in adapter die in the reloading press.

Fired cases are easily reloaded by sizing case in 45 ACP die and "bullet neck" in 41 mag die.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230315_084119.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	311679
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-15-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast