RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Anyone made a western gun belt?

Boolit Man

Anyone made a western gun belt?

I am able to buy some holsters with a belt loop for my twin 1858 New Army Remingtons 8" barrel, but I can't find a nice wide belt with a cap and ball bag and I was thinking about making one for myself. I do have some leather tools but no experience other than practical sense and the internet. Has anyone made anything like this that could speak to the difficulty of belt making?

Boolit Buddy
    Look at Tandy Leather. They have belt blanks and used to have some decent period buckles

Boolit Master
    Belts are pretty straight forward, especially if you are the end user. Pick a design you like and start!!! There are hundreds of designs online for what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Making the belt is simple but time consuming (if hand stitching). This is a good gateway project to get stsrted in leatherworking, I say that because there are 7-8 different tools your going to want to have to do a good job on this belt. If this is a one and done project then order a strap of leather to your desired width, they can be bought with finished edges. Buy a separate strap of 1 1/4" for attaching buckle and fastening end. Even doing this yourself your going to need diamond stitching chisels, @) 1mm waxed nylon thread , needles , a sharp utility knife for cutting the leather, a hole punch and contact cement. I actually found my leather mentor on this very forum but I would suggest you view hours of tutorials on dyeing, stitching, edge finishing leather. Good luck on your gun belt, it'll look nice with the matching holsters
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^True words, these. There is a lot of work involved.

I have only made one, for the cutting, carving and stitching lead to about 40 hours of labor. If I can find my camera I'll post a picture.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man
    The prices of leather at Tandy's almost make it cheaper to buy one already made.

Boolit Master
    Yes...leather prices have followed many other things. I made a belt for my son this Christmas. IMO, Tandy belt blanks are a tad flimsy, sooo, I bought two and glued them
    together.
    Now, THAT is a belt! I went by information I got from his significant other, and made it a 42. When he tried it...too short!
    Disappointed! He said he loved it, and ordered an extension, which made it fit. I may make him one to match the original basketweave. Ah well...the best laid plans...
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !