Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Vintage 38 special Winchester

Boolit Bub

Vintage 38 special Winchester

Anyone ever have any luck selling vintage ammo? I have some that's too nice to shoot, but I'm not an ammo collector and would rather it go to someone who is going to appreciate it for what it is.

2 Boxes of Winchester 38 Special, based on lot code it was packed on November 4th 1960
    1 Box of Winchester 38 Special, based on lot code it was packed on July 29th 1964

These are full boxes of the W38S1P WRA head-stamped nickel.

Again, not trying to sell, just looking for some direction on whether or not anyone has had luck selling it, and where. If it's only worth what new ammo costs, I'll just shoot it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6395.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	296293

Name:	IMG_6396.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	296294

Name:	IMG_6398.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	296295

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I frequently buy small batches of similar ammo off GunBroker for less than the cost of new range ammo. I shoot it up for practice and reload the brass. Have gotten about 1000 rounds a few hundred at a time. Even the WW2-ERA WRA and Western shoots well, but older Rem-UMC frequently has misfires or hangfires, so I now avoid it.

Some of the more unusual ammo like 200-grain or Super - X .38-44 brings collector prices, but plain vanilla 158 LRN goes cheap.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I collect a little bit of vintage / antique ammunition and frequently purchase the boxes like your examples for less than factory new also.
    That said, there's a market for anything! These are pre- child danger label and in pretty good shape.
    Research a few of the dealers in such things: rtgammo, joesalter, etc. That may give you a better idea of what they're worth.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I had picked up some 1970's era Western Match Wadcutters from a good pal. They were pretty badly corroded visually on the rims where they were exposed out of the Styrofoam, But, all of the rounds I have shot from it worked just fine!
    I'll be making good use of the brass, however, i had lost one piece of brass due to a split case. I'm certain they will be put to use many times over!

Name:	20211106_014445930_iOS.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	296307
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 02-15-2022 at 04:49 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    After shooting the ammo I've been successful selling the older empty boxes at gun shows for $10 each.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    After shooting the ammo I've been successful selling the older empty boxes at gun shows for $10 each.
    Yep, you're right!!
    I personally collect boxes of ammunition for each of the firearms I own. Preferably unopened, then open and full with correct headstamp ammunition, then correct boxes in good shape with ammunition or brass from the era, then just a box in great condition - in that order (ever try to find a 45-90 box from 1886? Let alone afford it?).
    So the market may be me!? If I had the period correct revolver, I may just get one of these.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I had this ammo for many, many years. Never figured it would sell. Took it to the range and shot it over the chronograph. All still comparable to its modern counterparts

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk