Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 308 with cast bullets your personal experience

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, and great story Larry! My early hunting experience included horses and dogs, so I can see it all so clearly.

It is interesting that wild hogs that have been hunted seem to avoid confrontation unless wounded or dogged. Domestic hogs, or those whose privileged life has not included human contact, may behave differently.

In all the time I have been hunting them I have only once had one have a go at me unprovoked. Or perhaps I have just not given them time to come to the point. A colleague and I were making a professional visit to a property in remote country. My colleague was driving, and I was doing the gates. As I was closing a gate a big spotty boar came out of the shrubbery doing all the woof woof hostile stuff. His mother must not have explained the facts of feral porcine life to him. We were of course armed but had no visa for that place, and wanted to get off on the right foot. We merely reported our encounter.

A few days later the owner met up with the boar whilst out fencing. Equipment comprised the motor bike, fencing tools and wire. And the axe. No firearms. The boar pulled the same stunt again. Our Man was not one to take nonsense from man or beast, and unleashed his Inner Viking upon the boar. End of story, for the boar at least.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 02-20-2022 at 11:12 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master

Larry that is one of the best stories I have ever read. I always look forward to learning things from you. Your knowledge and experience is something most of us can only dream about.

Larry all I can say is thanks for shearing your story and thanks for teaching all you know , you have help me more then once and looking forward to all you teach. Looking forward to other stories you have . It is something to learn by in real life . You never know what you will come up to deal with .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Like a friend that sets traps when he's on the property, released hogs and then shoots them. Told me one time a released one turned on him, either he forgot to chamber a rnd or had a missfire but racked the slide fastest he'd ever done in his life. He changed from 40sw to 9mm until he got the gun fixed. That shield would stove pipe every so often. Think he had to change his britches that day. Worst time I had with animals was getting charged by an big black steer down in Corpus after Carla. Don't much take to somebody waving and yelling to chase them off the base. My hog alloy is tough, hard, fast and flat point. Soft just doesn't penetrate. My learning about hogs was when I was in school, got our milk and eggs from local farmer. Reached in the pen to pet a youngun until the lady screamed at me. You want your fingers?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    This is my work up with 308 and cast for me in a 1/12 twist

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ss!!-Fantastic!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    This is my work up with 308 and cast for me in a 1/12 twist

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ss!!-Fantastic!!
    That’s dang impressive. I just so happen to have 12 pounds of 800x

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFE38E4C-0692-48E1-936E-851144AA5989.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	296588 this is the best so far with the cast boolit,and the 308 win for me. Lee C312-155-2r, cast from 50/50 ww/ pure with 2% tin added. Powder coated, heat treated for one hour @400*f then splashed in ice water, gas checked, sized to .310”. Loaded with IMR 4895. Data in picture.

P.S. I’m going to try that 800X load for sure!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post

ID:	296588 this is the best so far with the cast boolit,and the 308 win for me. Lee C312-155-2r, cast from 50/50 ww/ pure with 2% tin added. Powder coated, heat treated for one hour @400*f then splashed in ice water, gas checked, sized to .310”. Loaded with IMR 4895. Data in picture.

That looks like a very good load. Have you any idea of speed?
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post

I haven’t tried 4895. Yet I may need to try that. Good shooting

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Driver man, I killed my chronograph last time out, don’t know the velocity, but, according to book loads, and advice from a fellow shooter, his loads chronograph approximately 2600-2700 FPS. The powder load, which is written on the target I posted, is 40 grains of IMR 4895. I seated the cast boolits to the crimp groove on this particular boolit.

Sloughfoot, thank you for the compliment. I cleaned the barrel really well, then 2 fouling shots. And then shot for group. Might have been better, but I had been shooting for a while, and was flinching really bad. I’ll own up to that. I also forgot to mention these rounds were loaded in LC NM 77 brass.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Hurts my head.
    At 70, I've taken a pile of deer and pigs with cast bullets... .30, .357, .45 Colt, 45/70.
    Never have had to trail one.. more often than not, DRT with a shoulder shot.
    Full penetration through pig shoulders too.
    Bullet alloy is softer than Lyman #2, but normally gas checked and heat treated to 20+bhn
    No magic, just dead critters...
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy
    Old thread I know but here are some articles I have posted about my 308 hunting

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...o-this-morning

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...can-make!!-308

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-hunting/page3

I hope this helps, I have settled on 37.5 of varget for my load, but that’s my rifle with a 1/12 twist

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    jaw was hitting the ground and her eyes were as wide as saucers! As I galloped toward the crippled sow, I shouted back to her that I would be back. I was able to close the distance to the crippled hog quickly, dismount and finish the job with a shot to the sow’s head. I again swung back into the saddle and at a gallop crested the hill in pursuit of the boar and last sow. I glanced back at the farmhouse seeing the neighbor lady waving at me and saw the calves still running in all directions. I was even more certain then I was in really big trouble for "doing something stupid".

However, I had no time to feel sorry for myself as the boar and last sow were now more than halfway back to the fence line. If I was going to be in big trouble, then the other two hogs were not going to get away with putting me in that situation. I knew there was no way, even as fast as my horse was, that I could beat them to the property line fence. I turned my horse toward the left open gate. We went sailing through the gate at a full gallop heading for the thicket as I figured that's where the boar was trying to get back to. I made it to the edge of the thicket just in time to dismount, shove two more cartridges into the magazine and take up an ambush position where the trail from the fence came into the thicket. I had little or no time to wait. My blood was still rushing, my heart was pounding, and I was sweating like the proverbial "stuck hog" as the boar, in the lead, came straight down the trail. I got two quick shots into him straight on in the front shoulders at maybe 30-40 yards and then had a broadside running shot on the sow as she swung around the side of me still trying to make the thicket. The shot, at a very short range, took her through both front shoulders and she piled up. I quickly levered in another round and swung back to shoot the boar again, but it was not necessary as he was down for keeps. I was so pumped up I think I let a war hoop out that wouldn't quit and probably did a little victory dance too!

Getting on my horse I then rode back to the house to see if my father had returned yet. On the way the shakes set in, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. For the first time in my life, I was truly scared of the consequences of something I had engaged in. Maybe I did do something stupid and took a few chances, but the thrill was unbelievable. My mother had my father and the other two guys in tow when I rode up. She looked awfully relieved and was glad to see me. The first inkling she had of the whole adventure was a very excited telephone call from the neighbor lady. When I told her what happened she took the new bottle of Old Crow away from my father and his two buddies. She proceeded to tell them, in no uncertain terms, that of all the dumb and stupid things to do was to leave me alone to shoot the hogs. In defense my father replied saying that I was entirely capable of handling the situation and, in fact, had done so. I knew I was off the hook then as he was acting downright proud of me. She ordered them to go back up on the hill and take care of the dead hogs. My mother said I needed to put my horse away and go to the neighbors with her.

I was glad as I was pretty worn out and wasn't looking forward to helping load the dead hogs. I think my mother saw I was a little scared as she told me I had done a good job even if it was probably very foolish. My mother and I then drove over to the neighbors in our old Rambler station wagon; she had me take a "snort" of the Old Crow on the way and it settled my nerves a bit. The owner was there by then with his wife who was all excited about that brave boy who saved her life from the marauding pack of 40 or 50 "wild crazed hogs!" After some discussion my mother let them have the sow hog, I'd killed in their pasture for their dog that had to be "put down" and the trouble caused. The neighbor already had the calves rounded up and the fence fixed so there wasn't much other damage. The bright side was the daughter who had come home with her father. I had for some time thought she was kind of pretty, but she was a year ahead of me in school and had not even noticed me before. Seems that for the first time she took notice and smiled at me asking if we could go horseback riding sometime, but then - that's another story.

After leaving the neighbor's place mother and I stopped by the top of the hill where my father and the other two guys had managed to find the dead boar and two dead sows and had already thrown them in the pickup. The dog's owner had buried what was left of the dog that was killed, wasn't much left though. By then the Sun was going down and the three men left to drop the hogs off at the slaughterhouse. The sows went just a little over 250 pounds on the hoof and boar went better than 350 pounds. Not large for domestic pigs but pretty good for feral hogs. After dropping the dogs off at the local vet’s, the men also spent the rest of the evening in the local bar reliving "their" adventure. I did hear later my father kept bragging about his "hard riding and straight shooting boy". I showed mother where the last shootout had taken place and managed to find two of the 30-30 cases where I had shot the boar and last sow. On the way back to the house mother had let me have another "snort" and I settled down even more. I went to the barn and curried my horse and gave her an extra bowl of oats. Every boy should grow up with such a horse, such a rifle and such adventures. Later at the house, as I was cleaning my M94, I figured this "big game" huntin' was pretty dad burned exciting and perhaps just the thing I always wanted to do. And so, it has been…….
    Thank you for sharing this adventure with us!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123