RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project?s

Project?s

I recently had a .224 Harvey Kay Chuck pistol built now I need to reduce the size of standard .224 bullets to .220" in order to keep pressures to believable working level in the smaller S&W K frame it's built on. Would appreciate any and all advise to get this done the cheapest way, please?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

22 Jet projectiles are .220 if I remember correctly.
    (researched and current ammunition for jet is .222-ie old common hornet diameter.)
    Have a S&W frame, cylinder and barrel to do that as well.
    Of course I started on this project in 1997.
    Been passed by a whole lot of turtles since then!
    How far from Ford Co. ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 02-14-2022 at 03:31 PM. Reason: research

Livingston county Illinois. Pontiac. Straight west of you along Il. 116.I have no idea where I'd find any bullets ..220 AFAIK theyre bit made anymore? would like to swag regular .224s down?
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 02-14-2022 at 03:25 PM.
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy
    There are several ways to do it without special equipment/ presses.
    I would get one of the NOE molds push thru die bodies:https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...size-die-body/

one of their 22 airgun .220 bushings: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ushing-b220ag/

And the 22 airgun push rod:https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...sh-rod-22prag/
    you should be able to do what you want with a standard single stage reloading press.

I have @ times used the NOE die/bushings to size jacketed .358 diameter bullets to .356 without issue (also use a good lube on the bullets)

Thanks 475AR, I've ordered the NOE stuff and now awaiting their arrival? Have absolutely no experience with this(I've reloaded for over 50 years and cast my own for the same) but, going to try it? Time to learn!
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    22 Jet projectiles are .220 if I remember correctly.
    (researched and current ammunition for jet is .222-ie old common hornet diameter.)
    Have a S&W frame, cylinder and barrel to do that as well.
    Of course I started on this project in 1997.
    Been passed by a whole lot of turtles since then!
    How far from Ford Co. ?
    Thanks.
    the Jet is .222 I believe.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    There are several ways to do it without special equipment/ presses.
    I would get one of the NOE molds push thru die bodies:https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...size-die-body/

one of their 22 airgun .220 bushings: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ushing-b220ag/

And the 22 airgun push rod:https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...sh-rod-22prag/
    you should be able to do what you want with a standard single stage reloading press.

I have @ times used the NOE die/bushings to size jacketed .358 diameter bullets to .356 without issue (also use a good lube on the bullets)
    Sir is that done with one pass.I've been thinking about the same thing for the 350 legend.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Jet bullets are no longer in inventory for several years now???
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

I've acquired the NOE stuff and now trying to size my bullets but, have a few more questions for the more knowledgeable people here. Is there any way to catch the sized bullets other than the Lee bottle. The push rod supplied isn't long enough to push bullets all the way through so I just push more bullets until they start popping out the top of die, dosn't seem to effect the nose end of bullets. When I finish sizing and take the bottle off some drop onto the floor, is there a way to prevent this? Does what I'm doing sound correct to you? Using sizing wax on bullets before pushing them through the die.
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master

Check the hardware stores for clear tubing and find a piece 7/8 ID get a length long enough to go to the floor and put the end in a tub with a towel in the bottom. I set mine up for cast bullets like this. Use a 8 lb powder can with the top cut out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Check the hardware stores for clear tubing and find a piece 7/8 ID get a length long enough to go to the floor and put the end in a tub with a towel in the bottom. I set mine up for cast bullets like this. Use a 8 lb powder can with the top cut out.
    Can you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've acquired the NOE stuff and now trying to size my bullets but, have a few more questions for the more knowledgeable people here. Is there any way to catch the sized bullets other than the Lee bottle. The push rod supplied isn't long enough to push bullets all the way through so I just push more bullets until they start popping out the top of die, dosn't seem to effect the nose end of bullets. When I finish sizing and take the bottle off some drop onto the floor, is there a way to prevent this? Does what I'm doing sound correct to you? Using sizing wax on bullets before pushing them through the die.
    Steve
    One of those "I read about it posts" but have never tried it. So take it for what it is.

There have been several references on here about mounting a press upside down and letting gravity do it's thing with the Lee push through style sizers. Claim is it works better than it has a right to.

I generally try to post on stuff that I've actually tried, not on stuff that I read about on the InnerWeb.

So take it with a grain (or large block) of salt.

15meter, unfortunately this would be virtually impossible with my loading bench and too time consuming for me but, thanks for the thought.
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Banner Sponsor

I use the NOE sizes to swage Speer .375" 235s down to .369" for my 9.3x57 Mauser.
    I use plenty of imperial sizing die wax and push the bullets through in one firm hard push.
    I use a .368 sizer and the bullets spring back to .369"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I use the NOE sizes to swage Speer .375" 235s down to .369" for my 9.3x57 Mauser.
    I use plenty of imperial sizing die wax and push the bullets through in one firm hard push.
    I use a .368 sizer and the bullets spring back to .369"
    Six thou' in one pass!!! EEeeekk!! It's amazing that you don't bust something! Wow!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Six thou' in one pass!!! EEeeekk!! It's amazing that you don't bust something! Wow!
    I'm going to guess he's not using the little Lee die cast C-press to do this.

It would be interesting to know which press he uses and how and what it's mounted to.

And why, I didn't think jacketed 9.3's were that hard to come by, but with the last 18 months of crazyness, who knows?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I'm going to guess he's not using the little Lee die cast C-press to do this.

It would be interesting to know which press he uses and how and what it's mounted to.

And why, I didn't think jacketed 9.3's were that hard to come by, but with the last 18 months of crazyness, who knows?
    Yes, I figured he was using a Rockchucker or equivalent, but still, thay's a lot of "Oooff" to go in one pass!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banner Sponsor

I use the Lee classic cast press. The Lee handle turned out to be hollow and bent. So I found a Dillon 550 handle on ebay for cheap and put it on.
    Lots of Imperial sizing wax.
    The problem I have is standard 9.3 bullets are .363", but these old Huskvarnas have a groove of .368-.369".
    Speer makes a 270gn 9.3 bullet, but I wanted something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I use the Lee classic cast press. The Lee handle turned out to be hollow and bent. So I found a Dillon 550 handle on ebay for cheap and put it on.
    Lots of Imperial sizing wax.
    The problem I have is standard 9.3 bullets are .363", but these old Huskvarnas have a groove of .368-.369".
    Speer makes a 270gn 9.3 bullet, but I wanted something lighter.
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Never tried sizing jacketed bullets, never even thought about it. Too bad I won't remember when the time comes and I need to do it.

Banner Sponsor

I also sized down some 200 Sierra's, they went through much smoother.
    They also shot very well, that's a 5 shot group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast