Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks for a successful first casting session!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Astocks2622, what lube are you going to use? Traditional or PC? As hard as those probably are, they should feed pretty well what size are you going to size them to? We love range reports. You have done well so far.
    I have White Label Lubes BAC and Carranuba Red. I used the BAC this time. My goal was 20-21 bhn with quenching, and I landed right about there. Sized .4015. Only fired a dozen through a chronograph into a snow berm to verify function and that my load from the Beartooth bullet is still viable. No keyholing at 15 yards, and velocities were spot on. I did have to shorten my oal from 1.255 to 1.227 to get the driving band inside the case.
    12.5gr of AA#9 got me 1150fps, and nice straight line variation up to my original load of 13.5gr and 1250fps, matching the performance of several commercial hot loads. Again, this load is safe in my gun, not necessarily yours!
    Minimal leading, slightly more than the gas checked Beartooth version, but certainly acceptable.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

200 grs at 1150-1250fps is a very potent load. In my 10mm the 170gr Lee truncated cone was a very accurate load with Accurate #7. Good little mold for not a lot of $ if you feel the need to try it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by agcannon View Post
    Good job. I learned everything I needed to know to cast boolits just by searching this forum
    I have belonged for years. Collecting info, and molds. Hope to cast my first soon, now that I am "retired".
    Last edited by jmcghee; 02-18-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Congtats on retirement. You will soon realize that you never had time to work!
    Astocks, I like Carnauba Red when I squeeze and grease for the hot weather especially. I used to use beeswax and alox but in the hot summers we have it was pretty sticky. Not so with Carnauba Red but it will probably take a heater under your luber. Easy to build btw.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    a normal high for us is about 70 in the summer. once in a blue moon it will hit 85. i'm more concerned with low-temp performance, when it's 10 below here. I am using an old lyman 45 lube-sizer, and I drilled a small hole in the base and stuck a temp-regulated soldering iron in it that I had laying around. keeps the base around 100-120, and the lube right around 90. easy flow, nice & stable temps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Astocks2622 View Post
    a normal high for us is about 70 in the summer. once in a blue moon it will hit 85. i'm more concerned with low-temp performance, when it's 10 below here. I am using an old lyman 45 lube-sizer, and I drilled a small hole in the base and stuck a temp-regulated soldering iron in it that I had laying around. keeps the base around 100-120, and the lube right around 90. easy flow, nice & stable temps.
    Wherever you are, that sounds like hell to me. Here it drops below 70 in the winter, and summers are over 100. Once in a blue moon it will hit 110. When it's 10 below, my only concern is the fastest road south.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The feeling is mutual, though opposite. 100 sounds like hell to me. There's only so much clothing one can appropriately remove. I can always add a layer. We're in Alaska, and winter is gorgeous here.

Boolit Master
    The feeling is mutual, though opposite. 100 sounds like hell to me. There's only so much clothing one can appropriately remove. I can always add a layer. We're in Alaska, and winter is gorgeous here.

Alaska is beautiful. But I prefer to visit snow.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

BAC sounds about right as long as it does the trick in your 10mm. I have had good success with Carnauba Blue in revolvers but it gets a little warmer where I am than in AK. BTW you are right about Alaska in the winter, it is spectacular to say the least. I saw it 88 degrees in Fairbanks one time and it was miserable. The 'skeeters darn near sucked me dry! Those things even live on the North Slope next to the Artic Ocean. Must be the toughest insect ever created. Thanks goodness for 100% DEET.
    In semi auto pistols, I have started PC'ing those because the slickness of the pc has made the difference between feeding and not feeding in some of my guns. It's not a cure all but it made a difference for me. Please keep us posted on how those boolits work for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12