Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for a successful first casting session!

Boolit Mold

Thanks for a successful first casting session!

Thanks to the stickies here, my first casting session was a complete success yesterday! From learning about lead alloy metallurgy and matching alloys to intended uses, to learning how to judge when your mold has reached optimal temperature, to fluxing methodology, and much more, the hours of reading and researching, primarily here, paid off in spades.
    More specifically, it paid off in successfully casting several hundred hard-cast bullets for use in my 10mm woods gun. I've been using a 200gr WFNGC from Beartooth Bullets for 10 years. I placed an order last June, and have been not-so-patiently waiting for them. Come to find out they just went out of business.
    That was the catalyst for jumping into casting my own. And now I have 4 molds, and intend to get several more to eliminate one more dependency on the supply chain. Not much I can do about powder, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    Thanks for everyone who has put in the time and effort to get this knowledge out there! It helped me diagnose and correct several minor issues on the fly.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Nice, that must be the NOE 200gr WFN. That should leave a mark. They look great.

Boolit Mold
    Close, it's actually an Accurate Molds 40-200A. Cast with 2:1 pb:lino and quenched.

Boolit Master
    The only nitpick would be to give the sprue a little more time to cool so you get flatter bases. Otherwise they look great. Good shooting!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    The only nitpick would be to give the sprue a little more time to cool so you get flatter bases. Otherwise they look great. Good shooting!

Thanks! I was having trouble if I let it cool much more, then the sprue plate had to be gently hammered open with a rubber mallet instead of just pressing it open with a gloved hand. Am I missing something else?

Boolit Master
    Use a hardwood stick, one or two sharp hits should cut the sprue and leave cleaner bases. The base is the part that has to interact with the hot gases, so cleaner/smoother is better.

That said, at pistol velocities and ranges, as long as they don't lead it's really not a big deal. I cast plenty with torn bases. But I strive to clean that up, just for uniformity. You'll get more consistent weight if your bases are clean.

In rifles it starts to matter more. Higher pressure/velocity and longer ranges make every little bit count.

Boolit Mold
    Those boolits look good, should hit like a hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Astocks2622 View Post
    Thanks! I was having trouble if I let it cool much more, then the sprue plate had to be gently hammered open with a rubber mallet instead of just pressing it open with a gloved hand. Am I missing something else?

No, those bases are just fine. You won't get them much better than that with that alloy. You can walk a fine line to get a little better, but it isn't as simple as waiting longer to cut sprue's. Getting bands fully filled out, getting sharp base edges, and getting consistent bullet weights are what matter.

Excellent results. Your research paid off.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I'd have given anything to have had those come out on my first try.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

They are fine. When the sprue is really hard, banging will tear the cut and the plate rises a little giving a slanted base. If the mold is just a little larger than the sizer, sizing will kinda flatten a soft alloy base. When culling, toss the ones with a divit greater than 1/2 dia of the base - it will have voids underneath. Well they could be used for plinking. I cut the sprue with gloved thumb and don't get many with pimples, I toss any that would be GCd - GC wont sit straight. I posted here someplace a recent target 145gr PB(30/30 PB @ 50 and similar GC in AR BO) with bases like yours. Mostly a ragged big hole.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Very nicely done - congrats!
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Welcome to the addiction brother. You'll have a shelf full of molds before you know it.

Pretty bullets making a pretty good start.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Good job brother, your hooked now and the best part is you will never be dependent on supply and demand fluctuations. Welcome.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

Those look a hundred times better than my first casting session.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Astocks2622 View Post
    Thanks to the stickies here, my first casting session was a complete success yesterday! From learning about lead alloy metallurgy and matching alloys to intended uses, to learning how to judge when your mold has reached optimal temperature, to fluxing methodology, and much more, the hours of reading and researching, primarily here, paid off in spades.
    More specifically, it paid off in successfully casting several hundred hard-cast bullets for use in my 10mm woods gun. I've been using a 200gr WFNGC from Beartooth Bullets for 10 years. I placed an order last June, and have been not-so-patiently waiting for them. Come to find out they just went out of business.
    That was the catalyst for jumping into casting my own. And now I have 4 molds, and intend to get several more to eliminate one more dependency on the supply chain. Not much I can do about powder, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    Thanks for everyone who has put in the time and effort to get this knowledge out there! It helped me diagnose and correct several minor issues on the fly.

Way to go. Read, then practice. Welcome to the forum
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Welcome aboard and to the addiction, and down that rabbit hole you go with the rest of us. Those are a whole lot better than the first ones I cast nearly 45 years ago.

Look around the stickes and find the thread about making a lead hammer. A good tap on the sprue plate ant it will open easy peasy. When the hammer gets beat up
    put it in the melt and cast a new one.

Astocks2622, what lube are you going to use? Traditional or PC? As hard as those probably are, they should feed pretty well what size are you going to size them to? We love range reports. You have done well so far.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Good job. I learned everything I needed to know to cast boolits just by searching this forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast