Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube for sizing before PC

Boolit Bub

Lube for sizing before PC

Can you suggest a lube for sizing bullets with Lee push through sizer prior to PCing? Something easy to clean up? Or no lube necessary?

I thought I had read light coat of dish soap would be a good idea.

30 cal rifle bullets is what I have in mind, just for knocking off a couple .001”s and installing GC prior to PC

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

unless your sizing die was turned with a dull file you shouldn't need any lubrication. Shove a few through it and see. I've never needed too but have read here about folks lightly misting their boolits with water for lubrication.

But I must ask why do you think you need to size naked bullets before PCing? In my experience your PC thickness will vary from batch to batch and sizing after PCing will ensure all of your boolits are a consistent diameter.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    unless your sizing die was turned with a dull file you shouldn't need any lubrication. Shove a few through it and see. I've never needed too but have read here about folks lightly misting their boolits with water for lubrication.

But I must ask why do you think you need to size naked bullets before PCing? In my experience your PC thickness will vary from batch to batch and sizing after PCing will ensure all of your boolits are a consistent diameter.
    Mostly to seat the gas check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

NOE sells tools for de-burring bullet bases, expanding gas checks and seating gas checks.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    If you have any kind of lube on your bullets the PC will not stick. If your bullets are way oversize then size down in decreasing steps, if you have the dies. But realize you are moving metal and it has to go somewhere and the bullet's base is the worst place as it will destroy accuracy. These de-burring tools are a pain and almost impossible to achieve uniformity; without uniformity there goes accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t size before PCing because I worry about getting something on the boolits that will prevent good adherence of the PC.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No lube before PC. I don't even like to handle mine much before PC, but I'm picky about my coat. If you have to GC before PC, you can run em through the sizer, but do it clean. (I run mine through backwards on the rare few profiles that I have to seat a GC before coating)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Actually you can PC before installing a gas check because that is what i do. I also double PC rifle bullets for full power loads. All you have to do is shield the gas check shank for the first partial cure coat, then install the GC, do a second full cure coat.

Make a pan for gas check bullets by drilling/reaming holes in the pan. Bullets are held upright for spraying and the base remains completely clean. Second coat covers the GC and it is now it is glued on so tight it part of the bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1811_1_1.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	296260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1819_1_1.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	296261

Boolit Man
    Gas checks can be seated without sizing by using a Lee factory crimp die, the PC and size.

I never touch my boolits after they fall from the mold. They're dropped on a towel, scooped up with a spatula and put in a container. From there, dropped into the pc container and shaken, picked out with needle nose pliers and baked. Then sized, and if needed, that's when the gas check is crimped on. Never has been a problem.
    On the rare occasion that I've had stubborn checks that wouldn't stick to the base before sizing, I dab the boolit base on a lube pad and stick the check on that way before sizing. The checks will self center due to the friction force required to push them through the sizer.
    Deplorable infidel

I have been having a few gas checks tear when sized after PC. Is that common?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Have PC's many thousands of rounds since 2013 and have NEVER had to lube anything before, during or after PC EVER! The stuff is slick as goobers on a doorknob. Any lube you use will prevent the PC from sticking in the first place. You do not need anything.

Like said above, if you are sizing down way too many thou, you need to do it in incremental steps, or buy another mold of the correct size!

I not longer use GC's since PC'ing, so others will have to answer that one. Just don't see the need for them any longer.

banger

Things depend entirely on the as-cast diameter of the GC shanks on the various bullets.

- If the shank will fully accept a GC after PC, seat/size the combination then
    - If the shank will not accept a GC after PC, seat/size (no lube*) the combination before PC

NOTES:
    - The GC has to at least cleanly start onto the shank in either instance before sizing. If not, you run likely risk in mangling it as it enters the (Lee) die

- Use a case chamfer tool to clean up/bevel the shank base if required, PC'd-or-or-bare as the case may be.

- Every once-in a blue-moon, I'll have to seat/size a GC on using the Lyman 450. Judgement call/depends.

* If lube has somehow gotten onto the bullet if/when GC seating/sizing before PC, boil them in a pot of water with a drop of dish soap. Dump water/rinse with hot clean water onto a dish towel. When dry/still warm --> shake & bake normally.

-
    Last edited by mehavey; 03-04-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I seat the GC before PC using NOE sizing bushings.

Cast, then tumble the bullets for a few minutes (just the bullets, no media). Seat GC by hand, size bullet. Then I clean them with acetone. Apply PC. Size again.

If I need lube for the initial sizing I use Hornady case lube, but, just about anything will do.

Yes, my process is a bit time consuming, but, it gives me the best accuracy with my rifle and I am only making 200-300 bullets at a time.

Tallow...

I use this stuff. lightly smear my index finger over the top. Rub my thumb and and finger together. pick up the bullet and lightly roll between fingers. Usually good for 3-5 bullets.

Rinse off with a little bit of acetone

Never an issue with PC sticking

You can try silicone spray from the auto parts store if needed. I tried it to get difficult to tumble coat powders to stick. There are a few videos on YouTube. Worked so-so for that, easier to just use proven BBDT powders. But the PC adheres well and passes smash test without washing off. The PC will have a slightly "silicone-y" feel after. Can help to keep oversized checks from smearing when seating before coating. No rinsing required.

I GC/size 30 cal rifle bullets with Lee push through before PC all the time. Nothing special, cast, drop on damp towel, cool and into a plastic (covered) container till time to size and GC. They coat/resize and shoot fine. 308W,30/30 and BO. If your sizer gets leaded or dirty from scraped PC, clean it well or it will scrape PC off the next bullets. You can roll the bullets on a damp cloth to aid in sizing if you go down many thou.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I've tried a water-based electrician's wire-pulling lube when sizing before applying PC but found it to be a real PITA. First apply lube, size, rinse boolits in warm water, change water and rinse boolits again, rinse boolits in acetone, apply GCs (if required), apply PC, and bake. Much easier to order correct size NOE bushing(s) to begin with and use neoprene exam gloves when handling raw boolits.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Size to grove diameter after PC, just use case lube on a pad, easy, peasy. PC nose down, bake in a hardware cloth box. No GC needed.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

--delete--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast