Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9mm pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    CZ75B. Solid all steel gun. Double action. Doug Guy did his work on the barrel. Chambers everything and never had a malfunction. Good shooter too.
    +1!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I'm with the CZ 75 crowd. I have 2 of the CZ75BD decocker models. I went into the LGS years ago to get some primers and spotted the CZ in the case. I asked to see it and based on how well it fit my hand and it's reputation I bought it. That 1st one has between 40-50K rounds thru it and is still going strong.

My second choice would be the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Because of it's size and weight it is extremely pleasant to shoot. It's accuracy is outstanding.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the CZ75 or a clone. Or, get a $400 (or less) police turn in Glock G22 or G23 and a 9mm conversion barrel. From what I've seen, you can do that for about the same price or less than a Glock that is 9mm from the factory.

Police trade-ins are a good option.
    I bought Beretta 92S for $299.00 back when the market was flooded with them.
    Smith and Wesson 5906 stainless for $400.00
    You can get Glock 22 in .40 SW pretty cheap and with an inexpensive conversion barrel shoot 9mm or even .357 Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    Got a couple of cc pistols. Just want a full size 9mm with hi cap mags to mess around in the pig woods with. I'm still gonna carry my 41 mag...but I might run into a whole herd of piglets.....
    I
    I would buy a CZ 75 in a heartbeat-if I didn't already have a Ruger SR9. It is a full size pistol with 17 rnd capacity. I have fed mine every weird concoction you can think of, even 158gr swc and it never once hiccuped. It is about a 2" gun at 25yds but it shoots anything I stuck in it that way...except the swc. I shoot with a friend who has a CZ and it is a great gun but the SR9 does what I asked of it. I had a S&W Shield and thankfully it is a memory although not a fond one! You have many choices in this category.Attachment 296593
    Last edited by murf205; 02-20-2022 at 05:48 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I was in your position a few years ago trying to figure out which to get for my first 9mm. I went with the Beretta 92 Compact, which has to be one of the largest "compact" pistols in the world. I just liked the looks and proportions of it. I didn't want to spend weeks studying all the 9mms on the market so I decided I couldn't go wrong with a military design and I haven't been disappointed. Found some cheap surplus mags which will work in the 92 Compact. Function has been flawless with all sorts of factory ammo and handloads, FMJ, hollow point, and cast. Be aware that the bore on mine (made in Italy) slugged .3580 in the grooves which I have since found out is not unusual. The ambidextrous decocker also made the decision easy for a left-hander.

I'm a big Browning High Power guy.
    Me too...Mine's a "Practical" (two-tone 9mm) and I've removed the magazine safety giving it an almost 1911 good trigger. The gun's a keeper, <2" @ 25 yds with selected ammunition and absolute reliability. I've replaced the stocks with Hogues giving it a little less width, mid-ships. I'd say that any Hi Power and especially this one with the Hogues has the best "in the hand" feel of any pistol....ever.

Were I looking for a new one, I'd give the Springfield SA35 a hard look. The reviews from the Rifleman & Guns and Ammo were very positive. The price is right too...at a MSRP of $700 IIRC...finding one currently is going to be tough but that'll change as they come on line. YMMv Rod......here's mine:

Rod

Boolit Master
    You could go to a good indoor range and try some out. Was down in Panama City years back and tried some different 9's out. The Beretta 92 really impressed me as a pistol you could just pick up and shoot well. Same with the Sig 226.

Boolit Grand Master
    Target guns are different than working guns. And target guns for competition are different than guns for plinking and target practice.

You need to decide what you need (want?). Otherwise, you get what you have got so far. People telling you what they use that have no idea what you need (want?).

Best advice so far is to go handle a few and see what fits your hand. And frankly, accuracy is moot for most folks. I can outshoot most guys using a 1911 with my *** Glock. I shoot 1911's better and carry a Glock. There is a good reason for that. Accuracy is not the most important consideration in a "working" gun.

If you want a target gun to play with, get a revolver unless you enjoy picking up brass. Our SD guns are 9mm's but we mostly target shoot with .357 revolvers using .38 Spl cases that are cheap. Not hard to push a .38 Spl to 9mm levels safely in a .357.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    A trio of steel framed 9mm. The CZ 75b and the S&W 639 are both double actions, the CZ can be used cocked and locked though. And a Browning Hi Power. The Hi Power and the CZ feel about the same in the hand the Browning is a bit lighter but not as much as to really notice. The only one you're likely to find under a $1000 is the CZ and some (used) can currently be found around $500 or less. I have a pair of the CZ's and a pair of Hi Powers but only a single 639 and that pretty much says how I feel about these three.

Boolit Master
    I've several 9 nm pistols mostly 1911s,1 Beretta and a CZ 75 the one I carry is the SR1911 commander 10 rd mag. The only advice I can give is the recoil spring needs to be replaced with a 12 lb spring,had to many ftf for my liking.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I would buy a CZ 75 in a heartbeat-if I didn't already have a Ruger SR9. It is a full size pistol with 17 rnd capacity. I have fed mine every weird concoction you can think of, even 158gr swc and it never once hiccuped. It is about a 2" gun at 25yds but it shoots anything I stuck in it that way...except the swc. I shoot with a friend who has a CZ and it is a great gun but the SR9 does what I asked of it. I had a S&W Shield and thankfully it is a memory although not a fond one! You have many choices in this category.Attachment 296593
    The SR is the last 9mm pistol worthy of the Ruger name, in my opinion. The Security 9 is a Kel-Tec/Sccy level gun, the American Pistol is big and heavy and nobody cares about it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123