Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First results with S&W M69

Boolit Master
    There is only 1 size of X frame grip made for Smith by Hogue. Seems weird in that the 29 and 629 are on the N frame, and the model 69 is on the L frame.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Shuz,

That makes it easy to swap them to my MG and try before “the buy”.

Thank you

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I'm thinking of a pair of Herretts Ropers on a 69. It would look pretty slick but it is hard to beat the Hogues when you step on the gas a bit.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I'm thinking of a pair of Herretts Ropers on a 69. It would look pretty slick but it is hard to beat the Hogues when you step on the gas a bit.
    My thoughts exactly, Murf. But I'm leery of the recoil, even with "Skelton" level loads: (240 gr LSWC's at 960 fps). I'm 75 now and have beat the crud out of my strong hand for 60+ years and it hurts....

I ordered a pair of Altamont "Ropers" a while back, still waiting on delivery though. Got 'em for a Smith 686 headed my way. Between the extra 3 oz. in the full length lug and my 800 fps wadcutter tgt loads, I figured I could comfortably shoot that .357 with my arthritic strong hand thumb. Here's hoping...I'll try them out on a M-19 & a M-66 that I have here, as well.

The Mikulek's on the M-66, below, do real well in DA shooting...I really like them...but they do beat the heck out of my thumb web with strong loads. The Altamonts on the M-19 are great looking and comfortable with tgt level loads but are at least 1/8" thinner at the top of the hump than the Mikuleks and beat me up as well.

I really like wood grips for their looks mostly, but I sure wish some maker would duplicate the Hogue Mono-Grip in good, solid wood (no laminated)...something with a little figure in it that wouldn't necessitate mortgaging the homestead...Best Regards, Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 02-26-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Master
    A strategy that I would use on a 69 that works with my 629 Mountain Gun is to ration the top loads in practice fairly sparingly. I run from just above standard 44 Special power level to my pet load of HS6 running the RCBS 250K to 1066 FPS (11.8 gr of powder). These along with Skeeter Skeltons 8.5 gr of Unique, same bullet all magnum brass get fired the most.

I even carry the HS6 load as long as the bears are down for their winter snooze.

My upper end begins with 20 gr of 2400 and tops out with 23 gr. H110 and either of those are my bear carry pushing the same RCBS cast boolit. I end my practice with a cylinder full of those but do not push myself into losing my edge.

My hat is off to folks that use just high Enders, practice or carry but I feel for me that is detrimental to accuracy and pounds my body unnecessarily.

With my MG, I have fired two cylinder fulls of bear stompers back to back. It’s the limit for me in a gun that weights just 39 oz and is non-ported. But then when will I need to fire more than that? Not often.

In a situation with a human attacker, my HS6 load would be totally adequate and I can continue to shoot that one on a very extended basis.

I love the look of nice wood grips but for function and wearability I have to stick with a set of “Goodyear’s”.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Rod, are those M-66 stocks made buy Mikulek? I know how the beat up hand feels (it's been broken 2 times) you and I are the same age.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Nice shooting. Love seeing the data on plain base bullets. My choice of bullet. Ty for posting.

Murf...sorry for not responding sooner...wife was invalided in mid-April with a fall resulting in a broken knee cap, left wrist and a double break of her pelvic arch...total bed rest for three months and now just learning to walk again...been busy you bet.

The M-66 is wearing Mikulek grips sure enough. Really like them for DA shooting but they do punish my stronghand, thumb/trigger finger web. Not generally a problem for me as I load wadcutters to ~800 fps for 90% of my range practice and carry with mostly with the old FBI load (158's at ~950 fps). Both loads will do nicely for all chores here on the farm, save putting down large stock...for that it's one of the .44's and thankfully I haven't had to do that soul deadening chore in quite a while.

Best regards, and good health to you and yours. Rod
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12