Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: speer shotcups

Boolit Mold

speer shotcups

Speer shot cups anybody use these and loads for them. I have a bunch of 38 and 44 calibre. I need to shoot up.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the .38/.357 in my revolvers for walk-about loads. Easy and fun to make.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I have in the 44. My best advice is to drive them hard. Light loads sometimes won't shatter the capsule and the whole thing goes down range in one piece. BTDT.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    About 4.5 grs of WW231 works well on the 44's. You may want to use a little super glue to keep them seated in the case as they can shift forward with recoil. Just a dot will do, don't glue the capsule into the case.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a taper crimp die instead of a roll crimp die. This seems to lessen the chances of the plastic capsule cracking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    About 4.5 grs of WW231 works well on the 44's. You may want to use a little super glue to keep them seated in the case as they can shift forward with recoil. Just a dot will do, don't glue the capsule into the case.
    I haven't had a problem with "creep" in any of my 347 Magnum loads, using the Speer recipe found in #13 reloading manual, and the little piece of paper they provide with the shot capsules. I have found a roll crimp that doesn't crack the capsule, but now that I have a taper crimp die, I'll try that. Speer mentions that a smaller weight of powder may improve groups/patterns. I've always loaded the Speer recommendation for Unique, which is the same as my "go to" load for 150-158 SWC boolits. I've dropped my current Experimental shot capsule loads to 5.0 and 4.5 gr. Unique "Just to see."
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

I only use them in .38 Special and they work fine. The smaller #12 shot really works the best for snakey things.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    if you have an older speer manual, there is a data sheet in the back of the book.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I loaded the last 50 I had last night. 38 special nickel plated cases, cause I like em, 4.5 of 700x, #10 shot, roll crimp, and good to go! Guess I need to find some more, but I’m trying the kit from sage’s right now, will see how that works out. Speer shot well in the past, so should be ok now! Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    My favorite for the 44 capsules is 2 350 rb and a little bit of 9 shot to top off. Fun load.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Well, go with what works for you. I have had bad mixed results with shot capsules here in rattler country. Many times my .38/.357 and .44 capsules did not shatter for a good pattern. Back to the drawling Board, I ended up with gas checks fore and aft on all my snake #6 or 7.5 loads. The snakes tie themselves in knots and my dogs are safer.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Well, go with what works for you. I have had bad mixed results with shot capsules here in rattler country. Many times my .38/.357 and .44 capsules did not shatter for a good pattern. Back to the drawling Board, I ended up with gas checks fore and aft on all my snake #6 or 7.5 loads. The snakes tie themselves in knots and my dogs are safer.

Adam
    That method works quite well, especially with 44-40 and 45 Colt. An added benefit is that cartridges made with gas checks don’t break in your pocket with rough handling.

Boolit Master
    HWooldridge,

I agree. I never had a "good" crimp on a plastic shot cup that held over time. The gas check method results in what is like a brass shotgun shell of days of yore. I think my best load is #7.5 shot. I caution to always wear eye protection because shot bounces back from hard surfaces.

Adam

Ten feet looks like the pattern is thinning.
    #9 shot in .38 Speer capsules.
    #12 would be better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have always considered the 38 speer capsules to be a 6 foot proposition. My arm is 2 1/2 feet held out so I can be as much as 8 1/2 feet away. I am usually a little closer. The idea is to shock the nervous system of the snake with as many shot in the body as possible.

#12 shot is ideal but I have been using capsules with #10 shot aimed behind the head. The small to medium size water moccasins I have killed rarely even twitch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    I have always considered the 38 speer capsules to be a 6 foot proposition. My arm is 2 1/2 feet held out so I can be as much as 8 1/2 feet away. I am usually a little closer. The idea is to shock the nervous system of the snake with as many shot in the body as possible.

#12 shot is ideal but I have been using capsules with #10 shot aimed behind the head. The small to medium size water moccasins I have killed rarely even twitch.
    I have never patterned the 38 spl 3 inch barreled gun I am using. I am shooting the factory. I usually first fire from a little distance like 8-10 ft on a water moccasin when aiming at the head, lining things so at least some of the pattern will also hit part of coil so that the snake is badly hurt and is rendered at least temporarily less mobile and then I go closer. I like to deliver that last or final coup de grāce with the muzzle within a couple of feet so that the head is visibly perforated and badly damaged. I do not take chances. I think that larger shot would do a better job. Moccasins are tough and when I get around to it I may so load some.

Boolit Buddy
    In the past I have cracked a few capsules while roll crimping them. Before I loaded my last batch I de-burred the inside of the case mouths.
    Did not lose a single capsule out of 40 roll crimped.

Boolit Master

Besk, thanks for that tip.

I’ve bought Speer capsules for .38, .44 and .45. Broke a few, mostly in .38. Similar to Adam Helmer, my best results are in .45 Colt. I press a gas check down on the powder, #9 shot and cap it off with another gas check and a roll crimp. Works very well on rattlesnakes at 10 feet.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris