RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Check one off the bucket list! S&W Model 52-1

Boolit Mold
    Been wanting one of those for years,,, always drowned my misery in buying two revolvers instead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just as a FYI, there is a poll running over on the S&W Forum right now to see how many folks would be willing to purchase high quality post factory mags for their Model 52s. There are entries for how many and how much you would willingly pay. Wanna go on record to “put your money where your mouth is”?)

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Just as a FYI, there is a poll running over on the S&W Forum right now to see how many folks would be willing to purchase high quality post factory mags for their Model 52s.
    Thanks for posting that.
    I'm in for a couple of them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Mine is suppossed to be here Friday!

I watched a group of 4 used 52 mags on GunBroker, bid them up to $100 each, they sold at $200 each with shipping and tax. Glad there are 2 with my pistol!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Bub
    Went to unload some reloads yesterday, and my 52 was part the plan. I can confirm a properly seated button nose (358091) will not function in the 52 mags, and had me searching when I got home and found this. Has anyone had success seating the button nose deeper to function in the 52? Or is a dewc mold in my future?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one magazine that will let me shoot an H&G #50 loaded to crimp over the shoulder with just the button protruding. IIRC, the cartridge run just a shade over 1.2 inches OAL, but I bought a 358-63 DEWC so I could get all three magazines to work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3802 (1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	303171
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    A Lazareth thread, coming back to life. I finally got my own boolets cast, sized (.358), lubed (just in the bottom groove) and loaded under 2.8 gr of Bullseye. They shot and functioned fine in the 52. I have some PCed ones I will be loading soon to see how they do. I am using the 358063 wadcutter mold. I have a question for the loaders of double ended wad cutters...do you put the spruce cut end down or up... or do you even worry about which end is up??
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is an article of fact that the bullet base is more important than the nose when seeking accuracy. I put the cut up.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    A Lazareth thread, coming back to life. I finally got my own boolets cast, sized (.358), lubed (just in the bottom groove) and loaded under 2.8 gr of Bullseye. They shot and functioned fine in the 52. I have some PCed ones I will be loading soon to see how they do. I am using the 358063 wadcutter mold. I have a question for the loaders of double ended wad cutters...do you put the spruce cut end down or up... or do you even worry about which end is up??
    Not sure. With pointed bullets the base is the most important. With a double end WC I don't know? Damage or irregularities have more effect the further from center line they are. Note sure if the sprue being up or down makes a difference with double ended WC'ers. Interested if anyone has tested this???
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I found an old thread a couple years ago that discussed that.

A couple guys tested them both ways and couldn't find any measurable difference.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

revolver only, but I unreasonably fear that any imperfection on the top could interfere with the seater cup, so spruce cut down ( I actually hate seeing the scar),
    but I think I'm wrong, because the base is more sensitive to ballistics.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    Dr. F. W. Mann published the book, The Bullet's Flight over 100 years ago. Although primarily concerned with rifles, he demonstrated conclusively that a good base was more important than a good nose to accuracy. Though upon reflection, If you were careful in cutting the sprue on your DEWC, you'd most likely have little impact on the group, perhaps too little to really measure against the other variables involving the case, the loading technique and the gun itself.

Smile

...in my experience, I've seen how a lousy shooter can make the difference totally indistinguishable, even making up for the flaws of a lousy caster
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Thanks a lot remy, I had forgotten about owning a 52 until this thread resurrection and now it has me looking at 52's on Gun Broker again. I've been happy in my own little world searching for Contender items and 1885 low walls. The 52's are fine looking pistols. Maybe some day I'll run across one that will find it way into my safe.

wcp

Boolit Master

Fellow 52 shooters,
    Does anyone want to characterize the sound / feel of a 52-2 trigger?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Dr. F. W. Mann published the book, The Bullet's Flight over 100 years ago. Although primarily concerned with rifles, he demonstrated conclusively that a good base was more important than a good nose to accuracy. Though upon reflection, If you were careful in cutting the sprue on your DEWC, you'd most likely have little impact on the group, perhaps too little to really measure against the other variables involving the case, the loading technique and the gun itself.
    Imperfections on the base are subject to a least two forces. First is the pressure of the gasses. Any uneven gas flow as the bullet leaves the barrel is believed to have negative effects on accuracy. The sprue being at the base should not affect this. Next are imbalances. The further the defect or imbalances is from the centerline of the bullet the more it will affect accuracy. On most bullets the point is smaller than the base so it only makes sense imperfections on the base will affect accuracy more. On the DEWC the front and the back are the same except for the sprue.

On the DEWC is the airflow/pressure wave effected by the front or back location of the sprue?

For the record I load mine with the sprue as the base. I've done limited testing and didn't see any difference.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-04-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

never owned a 52 but did buy a 952 to shoot ppc with. it just didnt end up being accurate enough and i repaced it with a sti trojan that was an absolute tack driver. probably the best shooting handgun i ever owned

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    never owned a 52 but did buy a 952 to shoot ppc with. it just didnt end up being accurate enough and i repaced it with a sti trojan that was an absolute tack driver. probably the best shooting handgun i ever owned
    I own a 52-2 and always wanted a 952. Twice I’ve had the opportunities to try one at the range. I was disappointed both times. My STI Targetmaster is far and away the best shooting pistol I’ve ever owned.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234