Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check one off the bucket list! S&W Model 52-1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    .Model 52's were built away from the main production line at S&W and had many parts hand fitted, including the barrel bushing.
    I’ve heard from members on the S&W forum that the guys that built 52s formed the nucleus of the Performance Center after model 52 production ceased. All the examples I’ve seen seem to bear this out. Also got help dating my 52 from the same site.

Boolit Master
    Thats pretty neat stuff! I would not be surprised at all if some of the guys that built the older 52's were at S&W during the days of the Registered Magnum. I highly value the days of hand fitted, well crafted guns. When there was no such thing as MIM and revolvers were pinned & recessed. Guns had mile-deep lustrous, glossy hot bluing. When most of the things in this country were made with pride in the United States! Guns like the 52 are beautiful time capsules of then.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I will add my congratulations to your new purchase. I've never fired a 52 but would like to try one some day. I have an affection for S&W revolvers and autos. I especially like the older models, first, second and third generation autos and even have a few of their new guns. I passed up a model 52 a few years ago because I thought it was too expensive at the time but in todays prices it would have been a bargain.

I have a question for the 52 owners here, is there a preference or benefit of one model number over the other, 52-1 or 52-2?

wcp

Boolit Master

They started with a Model 52. It could be operated DA/SA but unlike the Model 39 it was based on, to switch modes required a tool. On the 52-1 they changed it to the SA version. Then the 52-2 came out with minor improvements. Production ended in 1993.
    From a standpoint of collectibility I’d think the Model 52 version would be the most valuable. From a shoot-ability aspect the 52-2 version is my pick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post
    I will add my congratulations to your new purchase. I've never fired a 52 but would like to try one some day. I have an affection for S&W revolvers and autos. I especially like the older models, first, second and third generation autos and even have a few of their new guns. I passed up a model 52 a few years ago because I thought it was too expensive at the time but in todays prices it would have been a bargain.

I have a question for the 52 owners here, is there a preference or benefit of one model number over the other, 52-1 or 52-2?

wcp
    The 52 history in detail here https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._200906/100100
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies and the Shooting Times article was a good read plus it gives the time frame of the models. I will have to be on the lookout for another nice old smith auto. Don't know if I will ever find one to buy but the hunt is part of the fun of gun buying/trading.

wcp

Boolit Master

Don't know if I will ever find one to buy but the hunt is part of the fun of gun buying/trading.
    wcp
    Be careful, wanting any version of a S&W 52 becomes an obsession. Don’t ask how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Well if anyone of you fellas have any mags that you just have to evict from your collection, I know a guy that takes vagrant mags in
    Last year, when I was looking for an extra, there were none to be found.
    I was willing to pay $100. for a used one that worked, even if it looked like it'd been run over by a train.
    It didn't take long to figure out that wasn't going to happen.

Now there's several out there.
    There's one on a ebay auction that just started, and some for 'buy it now'.
    Following it will give ya an idea of what they're going for now.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-19-2022 at 01:29 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Be careful, wanting any version of a S&W 52 becomes an obsession. Don’t ask how I know.
    I know the addition, I have an affection for 1885 High Walls especially Browning's but at least they come in a few different calibers.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Ya, the cost of mags, that one stings...
    I feel like I'm part of the crowd looking for original Chauchat mags or StG.44 mags or something like that.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Mytmouse
    I couldn't help but look at your profile when I saw your Avatar. Were you ever in the military? I spent 20 years in the AF working on fighters and bombers then another 4 as an A&P mechanic working on corporate jets and general aviation before changing careers then finally retiring. I always look up when I hear any plane going over. I guess it will always be in my blood to love aircraft. Sorry for the off subject.

You have a very nice Smith 52. Good luck finding additional Mags.

wcp

Mytmouse
    I couldn't help but look at your profile when I saw your Avatar. Were you ever in the military?
    That old J-79, F-4 Phantom engine caught my eye too.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Nope, no military service unfortunately, I wished I was part of that brotherhood now. I always wanted to fly pointy nose jets with afterburners but my shot at that was never an option as I am colorblind. Always been an aviation nut though! I am an A&P mech, still am with most of my time spent in experimental flight test and the cooperate jet world. Maybe someday ill get to work on warbirds or cold war jets, that would be neat. That is indeed the venerable J-79 in my picture! An outstanding engine that powered a lot of different aircraft and still an impressive engine to this day! Just like I like my jets, loud & smokey! I have a polished 1st stage compressor blade from a J-79 out of an F-104 Starfighter in my nook. My favorite jet and the magnificent howl of the J-79 is music to my ears! A jet to be respected but also a thoroughbred of a performance machine. Phabulous Phantom a close 2nd. I retired a career as a BMW master tech to go play with planes, still loving it today!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Malibu, you are a terrible influence, you got the juices flowing and now I have a 52-2 coming and I found a 358063 4 cavity and it is in route also. I hope I can get this to shoot my reloads, I will not buy any factory ammo.
    Last edited by remy3424; 02-26-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Believe it or not, in the local Cabelas gun library! About the last place I figured I would find one. Went there with a couple buddies, just having a good time with friends. I dont go there much after Bass bought them and usually don't bother with the library. Glad I did that day! It had an optic & mount on it in the case. One that fits the frame weight mount and a J-point type red dot. I could care less about on a 52, I wanted it to be an iron sighted gun. I was concerned about potential damage from the mount so I asked to have it removed for inspection. Unfortunately it did have some under it so I said thanks, I need to think about it. Gave them 30min and countered the sticker price of $1600 down to $1300 and they accepted surprisingly. I made sure to point out that it came with only one mag, no box or accessories and mag rarity & price. I don't think I stole it nor did I get raked over the coals. Probably a reasonably fair price. I'd love to have a pristine example but I have a great shooter grade gun. It has some finish wear on the front & backstrap and a few blems. I suppose it has a right to have some for its age. Other than going the auction route, its the only Model 52 I have ever seen in person.
    Eyeballed one today at the gun show. $2200 with 3? Factory mags and 2 aftermarket mags. Didn’t bother handling it for inspection. Looked nice but probably less nice than yours. Now I think I need one for some reason. Gee thanks.

Boolit Mold
    there are some on flea hay,,, but Ouch!!! Mags that is..

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Eyeballed one today at the gun show. $2200 with 3? Factory mags and 2 aftermarket mags. Didn’t bother handling it for inspection. Looked nice but probably less nice than yours. Now I think I need one for some reason. Gee thanks.
    Going rate on them now is around the low teens on Gunbroker for one in pretty good shape with one magazine.
    I've never seen or heard of aftermarket mags. for one, but factory ones are going for around $150-175.

If that one you saw was in good shape with 5 mags---- that price is pretty much in line with the current market.
    If you didn't feel the need for them, you could sell some of the 'extra' mags to get part of your money back.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Winger, the seller said they were aftermarket (I think) it was noisy there. I might have bought the thing if it was JUNE when my money is coming in. Winter for me is the tight time. It did have the box as well. Maybe I will find him at another show by that promoter when I am flush with fun money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Malibu, you are a terrible influence, you got the juices flowing and now I have a 52-2 coming and I found a 358063 4 cavity and it is in route also. I hope I can get this to shoot my reloads, I will not buy any factory ammo.
    Looking forward to seeing it! I'm sure you'll be able to find something it likes. I normally wouldn't shoot factory WC ammo but I had some of the Precision stuff collecting dust that I had sampled at one point. I much prefer my own WC's, I just didn't have any loaded to try.

Sorry for being a bad influence but you won't regret picking up a Model 52!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Thanks just plan thanks!
    Like I don't have enough things to "lust" for!
    Very nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast