Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Gun Show

Boolit Grand Master
    I rarely go to a gun show anymore. There is nothing I need so unless I find a bargain I am not buying anything.
    And I have not found a bargain at a show for a very long time. For years I lusted for a .357 bolt gun or single shot rolling block but that desire cooled.

Looks like things have not changed for the better.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    My dad said he remembered gas station cut-throat price wars where it was 8 gallons for a buck. Best price I recall was $.24 a gallon. My MG Midget had an 8 gallon tank. I could fill it up, buy a quart of bulk motor oil and two candy bars. They gave green stamps too.
    You could have filled it up if it was $3 a gallon also. Need some context, you filled it up, got some oil and two candy bars for how much??

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IHuntDragons View Post
    You could have filled it up if it was $3 a gallon also. Need some context, you filled it up, got some oil and two candy bars for how much??
    Sorry. Almost forgot, it cost me one hour’s wages: $2.00. Detail-wise, the 1100 cc, 3 bearing engine leaked oil out of what in a normal vehicle would have been the rear main seal. Instead of a seal it had machine threads cut int the back end of the crank that were supposed to ‘sling’ oil back into the oil pan. That’s where the bulk oil came in. One quart a week in city driving.

Boolit Master

Hit a show yesterday in Harrisonburg - needed a fix ! Well attended, some nice old guns here and there . Primers $149/1000 and up, shotgun primers "only" $100/1000 . Did see one box of older white box Winchester SPP for $100 . Some powders, Red Dot $49/lb.
    Some kegs of various powder as low as $250, as high as $550 . NO .35 J-words that I was looking for. Made the bride happy on the way home, stopped in Waynesboro at the FishNPig and ate ! Spent more there than in the Show !!
    Let's go, Brandon.

Boolit Mold
    Every time I go to a gun show, I remember why it’s been a long time since I’ve been to a gun show!

There are a lot of things that frustrate me about the shows- tire kickers, outrageous prices, guys just their to socialize, guys just “displaying” their stuff w/no apparent interest in selling, etc. Of course regarding the guys just there displaying their stuff… it is a gun “show,” after all!

Final straw for me is the general lack of hygiene amongst a good percentage of the attendees. You don’t have to look fancy, but washing the stink off yourself before coming would be a nice gesture.

I think GunBroker and the internet killed the gun shows, around here, anyway. Not that GunBroker doesn’t have its own list of problems…

Boolit Master
    There was a local gun show last weekend. Cousin had three tables and I helped out. I had a KKW 22LR training rifle and a 98K - BNZ43. Both tagged for @$1,200. Lot of lookers but no buyers. My cousin was selling like mad, but his stuff was tagged for what the folks at this show were looking for - $300 - $450 rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Also had a lot of ammunition. I plan on selling mine on a commission basis at a local gun shop. In any event for me it was a combination gun show and family re-union. Saw a bunch of kinfolks and had a good time visiting.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have one this weekend. No fu-fu stuff allowed at our show. I have a table and will see how things go

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    We have one this weekend. No fu-fu stuff allowed at our show. I have a table and will see how things go
    Rockrat will see you friday afternoon

Boolit Master
    "My MG Midget had an 8 gallon tank. I could fill it up, buy a quart of bulk motor oil and two candy bars. They gave green stamps too."
    If your Midget leaked like mine did, you needed that oil!
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I do enjoy attending a gunshow. The one in Sioux City has just gotten to be the same stuff for about the last 3 times. I skipped the last one they had. I am usually looking for reloading components, maybe a choke tube or magaizine, or anything that catches my eye, but just nothing that appeals to me recently, the $8 or so entry fee is all I had been spending. I am pretty sure that there would have been tables full of "good stuff" this last time...but I had been think this for a while now. Maybe I am just getting pickier on what I drag home these days. I do enjoy seeing a few folks at these that I don't see elsewhere and just checking things out...topwater would find me irritating, as he must find most things and people.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

I always go to the local gun show here in MS. There is usually one in 2 different city's close by for me about a month apart. There's always something handy to acquire.
    The best thing I like anymore is the 1/2Lb hotdog and sitting in the bleachers and watching the hub'bub below. Chat with guys I hadn't seen since the last show. There are no bargains to be had at a gun show anymore. Heck I'm focused on single shot H&R's anymore. Used to be scorned and cheap on every table. Now? IF you can find one. Their priced like a Winchester Model 70!
    Last edited by Electrod47; 03-03-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Hoping that the Baltimore Military show is worth the effort. Last one was in 2019. It’s an 8 hr drive each way but I have good friends that I will stay with over the weekend so even if the show’s a bummer it won’t be a total loss. Have a few items that I’m want to sell too. In 2019 I found a very nice 1896 Krag rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 731D2F5E-14E4-4097-B253-CDB30B1D8B37.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12