Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Gun Show

Local Gun Show

Today I went to a gun show in Monroe, MI about a half hour east of me and was really disappointed with it. They claimed 400 tables and the tables were sold out it seemed but out of that many tables there were maybe 20 % of them that even had a gun or ammo on them.
    I seen people selling T shirts, candy, honey, snake oil mixtures, pots and pans, and I mean their whole display were just these items. I have only lived here in MI less than a year and both my wife and I have found that nearly everything in MI is much higher in cost , electricity is more than double per kilowatt hour, internet is 2 x, and on and on but the tables at this show were $ 70 ea. for the weekend and the shows in OH that I usually frequent are either $20 or $ 25 ea.
    I just don’t see how some of the table holders could ever even break even selling the junk they were selling and pay for the table(s) at that price ?

The price people were asking for their guns was really high, I know people can ask whatever they want but I didn’t see anyone buying today, not one !

I usually go to 3 to 5 shows a year and this was I believe the worst I have seen yet. My inner voice told me I would be wasting my time going to this show but I didn’t listen.
    I know inflation is everywhere but just since December when I went to a small show in another town
    asking prices have gone crazy, I didn’t see any primers at all and the few who had powder were asking $ 70 for a pound can of OLD stock.

I guess I had to get that rant out to feel better.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

I agree Jedman. Primers are outrageous....guns high and the only deals to be made were probably by the vendors before the doors opened.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Last gun show I hit Primers were 20bucks per 100 That's a big pass for me!

I quit going to ones around here.
    What they call a gun show--- it was tables with one or two old rag guns and the rest was garage sale looking trash.

If you saw a table with several decent guns, they were prices at about retail plus 50%.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The one I attended today in Fredericksburg, TX, was as always, full of guns, knives, ammo and leather. There was some glotch, but it was just a few tables. I found some odd ammo I had been looking for, 32 S&W, 25 ACP, 410 hunting loads. Also a box of ten aluminum training rounds of 20 mm for a good price. Had never seen these before and I shot a lot of them from several different jets.

Then a fine German sausage lunch with a Warsteiner Dunkel and a back road drive home. Had a helluva good morning.

It is the new norm.
    Everything is a lot more expensive.
    I used to have high energy bills due to my old inefficient furnaces, I have two due to remodels.
    My bills during cold months were sometimes in the high $400s.
    I replaced the furnaces with new higher efficiency units and my bills dropped like a rock, maybe on the coldest month a little over $300.
    I just got my bill yesterday and it was over $518.
    Higher than it had ever been before I put in new units.
    Thanks Joe

Boolit Master
    Went to the show in Corbin, Ky today. Lots of high priced guns, nothing especially interesting. Lots of ammo but prices were high, $30's and up for common rifle stuff, 223 about 80 cents each. Didn't check pistol ammo prices but did notice shotshells were over $10 a box. No powder, only primers were the ones I brought to dispose of. Sold them for $60/K and didn't get from the entrance to the tables area before they were gone. Suspect I could have asked more and gotten it but felt uncomfortable at $60. Some guns were selling, mostly pistols, but I wouldn't call the sales brisk.

Moderator Emeritus

2nd day of our local show. Tables were $35, primers ran from $145 per K to $100 for LP, LR, SR, SP. Shotshell primers were $50 at only one table and they went fast. 50 BMG were $200 for 500 same guy with an estate.
    We had 3 tables of jewelry, 2 of art and 2 of nail stuff. The rest were guns, magazines, reloading and related. Friday from 1-6 I was super busy, today not as much. We blamed it on the nicest weather of the year so far. Our town and surrounding area is about 3000 people in a 15 mile radius. We had people from 120+ miles away attending. Prices were high but deals were out there to be found. Much more new guns and really old stuff, very little built between the 60's and 00's. I had a box of magazines for AR, AK, a few pistols and some HK. I bet there were 60+ from an estate. All were sold by noon today.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Last show I attended had a lot of black rifles and various components for black rifles which does not interest me. NO reloading components of any kind, and only a smattering of ammo. I did notice one shop worn box of .22 thunderbolts with a $100 price tag. I just kept on walking.

Boolit Master

Just went to one in a near by town and it drew a ton of people. Not much to speak of other than gun shop owners. One guy was selling primers for $125 per 1000 or $20 for 100. I would rather save the time and $$ and order it from Kentucky Gun co or Buds and have it shipped to a local ffl.

Boolit Master
    thanks for the reports, I would like to go to a good gunshow.. been very disappointed in past decade or more. there are not what they used to be. or at least ive have not been to any good ones. I remember years ago there were vendors that made a circuit of shows, like reloading vendors that had hundreds of bottles of powder and crates of all brands of primers, and several vendors that had multiple tables of containers filled with every little part or big part imaginable for AR's AK's 1911's, all kinds of magazines and more. and the guys who had boxes and boxes and boxes of military surplus stuff, rifles, mags ammo everything.
    just thought I'd share a little gunshow story

Boolit Grand Master

Dad went to farm auctions often His normal purchases were a bear claw and coffee in the morning and a barbecued beef sandwich about noon. I have stopped going to most gun shows as the crowds just arnt wheel chair friendly. Even the table set ups make it crowded for the chair at some.

Moderator Emeritus

I remember when candy bars were a nickel.
    when are all of us old guys gonna stop complaining about gunshow Prices?
    the free market is the free market, we are in a inflationary cycle, the laws of supply and demand require prices are to increase.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Haven’t been to a gun show in years, but I was early for an appointment today so walked into a pawn shop to kill some time. The price they were asking for ammo made me wonder if it had serial numbers on it.
    They had about 50 handguns and a dozen long guns. One had a nicely figured, but dirty wood stock so I asked to look at it. It was a Win 70 in 300WM with a cheap Bushnell scope. No blueing left to speak of, 50% of the steel had fine surface rust that must have been oiled over. Floor plate, bolt, front sight had it bad. I could see heavy rust in the muzzle. Priced at $799.00!!

Boolit Master
    Went to one in Askov MN on Saturday. Lots of nice old guns but none i needed. Did get to see a nice old Marlin lever in 25-20. It was two grand.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I remember when candy bars were a nickel.
    A old friend's Dad said he remembered when gas was 17 cents a gallon....... But nobody had 17 cents.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A old friend's Dad said he remembered when gas was 17 cents a gallon....... But nobody had 17 cents.
    Yep, Dad ran a station down on the border of Tx and La, I remember 15 cents a gallon.
    We boys would catch softshell turtles out of the Sabine and got a quarter apiece for em'
    Brother and I surrounded a wild sow with piglets, He'd fake a charge and as the sow chased him I'd run in and grab a piglet.
    Then I'd fake a charge and he'd run in and grab a piglet.
    We got 5 bucks apiece for them but enter the Oldman to spoil our new found riches.
    Yall going to get yell's xxx ate up, Quit chasing down hogs, Thus ended our new found rags to riches plan.
    Did figure out I could get a buck apiece for live bullfrogs from the science students.
    The bus driver, What's in the sack, Me Bullfrogs for science class.
    Bus driver, Make sure none gets loose on the bus.
    Me, Yessir!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I think that a lot of the old timers that buy tables at gun shows with exorbitant prices don't intend on actually selling something, they just want to get out of the house.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My dad said he remembered gas station cut-throat price wars where it was 8 gallons for a buck. Best price I recall was $.24 a gallon. My MG Midget had an 8 gallon tank. I could fill it up, buy a quart of bulk motor oil and two candy bars. They gave green stamps too.

If you do not have gun or knife related items on your tables, not allowed in, no garage sale, junk.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast