MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About cowboy hats.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

About cowboy hats.

Here is an extract from The Best That Can Happen: The Grand Trek. It thoroughly discusses the benefits of cowboy hats.

I have never understood farmers’ preference for baseball caps, other than that feed and equipment dealers pass them out the way banks pass out ball-point pens. Cowboy hats are, after all, the perfect solution for those who make their living outdoors. Hats are important to the health of such folks.

It is well-known that, past the age of about ten, or whenever they start working in the fields, a little bit of both farmers’ and cowboys’ brains—or the males’, anyway—do leak out every time they take their hats off. They therefore take them off as seldom as possible. Well, some say the brains don’t leak out so much as dry out a little, or freeze. As a result, cowboys share with old-fashioned nuns and their equally frequently hatted brethren, farmers, a line above which the forehead stays distinctly pale. With age, some folks even develop a little dent in their forehead, which helps keep their hats from riding too low.

I probably shouldn’t be telling you this, but one of the reasons country folks can always spot city folks is that city folks do not have tan lines or hat dents on their foreheads. And they don’t even try to cover this up with a hat at all times when they end up in the country. This make country folks as suspicious of city folks as one might be of a naked woman without any tan lines, or with no bra straps dents in her shoulders. There is only one way on this Earth that can happen: not wearing your hat. Now, how smart can someone be, if they don’t wear their hat all the time?

There is another reason country folks always wear their hats. Why, everyone remembers once at one church supper one evening, when Claudie Baker, I think it was? accidentally knocked Floyd Olson’s hat off reaching for Maggie Shepardson’s slaw, and every Methodist in the county saw that Floyd was bald. Slicker and shinier than a fleeced sheep. He didn’t look like himself at all. Maudie Olson fainted on the spot. Heard they’ve been divorced since then. First divorce in the Olson family since anyone remembers, and Maudie’s living with her widow Mom in town, now. Anyway, between the benefits of keeping the smarts you started with and your looks at least consistent, it’s best to keep your hat on.

So, we can agree that wearing a hat is important. And, I think we can all agree that cowboy hats, especially as they come in a variety of brim widths and brim rolls and crown heights and hatbands, offer much greater fashion statement potential than a baseball cap. All you can do with a baseball cap is pick a logo, a color, and a brim orientation. With the variety of cowboy hat styles available, anyone can find one that suits.

Besides fashion, there’s politics involved, admit it or not. To wear a baseball cap is to allow yourself to be exploited as a living billboard for whoever made the hat and put their logo on it. Go ahead. Find me a baseball cap without some logo on it. Now, find me a cowboy hat with a logo on it. See what I mean? Cowboys really are independent.

There are practical considerations. Wide brimmed all around where the baseball ball cap shades only the eyes, the cowboy hat is surely superior. It does not leave the ears and the back of one’s neck bare to the sun. Thus, no cowboy would ever earn the nickname ‘red-neck.’

Cowboy hats are like built-in umbrellas. Being outdoors all the time does mean that you know what direction the weather comes from. You can see the storms coming and how fast they are moving, but that doesn’t mean you will have time to ride back to the farmhouse to get an umbrella or a poncho when you are miles out riding the fence line and see a storm headed for you.

Turn up the back of your collar, lean back a little and tip your hat just so, and the rain which has been collecting in the curves of the brim just sloshes off behind you. Your horse probably can’t tell the difference between the water you dumped on his back from the rain drenching you both, so it usually won’t mind. True, if you look down, the rain sloshes into your lap, but since the seat of your saddle as well as your hat has been collecting the rain, that doesn’t much matter. But if you want a dry neck and collar, now, a cowboy hat’ll do that for you.

A cowboy hat held upside down can also carry water like a bucket, unless it is the straw kind, of course, but those are only for around the house or garden. Murphy and Country appreciated this use of my hat more than once on hot days when a pond was on the wrong side of a fence line. It’s not a big bucket, but it’ll eventually get your stock watered when they need it. Don’t waste your time trying this with a baseball cap.

Baseball caps make poor fans. That dinky little brim doesn’t move enough air to even bother a mosquito. You’ll seldom see farmers holding their baseball caps by the brims, flapping the soft head parts around; they know it makes more sweat than it dries, with the head part being so limp. But you can get a real wind going with a cowboy hat. You can hold it by those dents in the front or by one side of the brim, and they are usually made so you can re-shape the brim after a bit. That’s the kind you want, anyway.

Cowboy hats also have a hatband, a great place for a pack of matches until it rains, or a pack of cards, or a letter, or a grocery list you are adding to through the day as you ride the fence line. Toothpicks, hoofpicks, a roll of tobacco, a picture of your mother or your girlfriend, the lottery number you know will win one day, a Swiss Army knife, about anything you need easier to hand than in your pockets, those thing go in your hatband…but only if you’re wearing a cowboy hat.

Horses are also much more impressed by cowboy hats than by baseball caps. Smack a horse on the rump with a baseball cap and they might raise their head to see what the tickle was. If you smack a horse rump with a cowboy hat just right, you get an attention-getting ‘Whop!’ from m the air caught in the head part, plus the brim has just the right flex and stiffness in it to make a clear and large impression on horse butt fur. They notice that more.

If the horse is out of physical reach, or is one which you don’t want to be within arm’s length of when you whop it on the butt, cowboy hats make decent Frisbees. For at least the first time or two, you can surprise a horse into action by spinning your hat at them from a safe distance. Or maybe it’s the same kind of surprise to the horse that Maude Olson had when Floyd’s hat came off. After the first time or two, the horse realizes the hat just bounces off even if it does hit, but it’s good for a couple times with most horses, more with others.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Love it! Great post - thanks for sharing and a "tip of the hat" to you waksupi!

Boolit Master
    I copied this post and sent it to a friend of mine to read. I thought it was a good post. I guess my friend and I have different viewpoints (he’s a cantankerous old coot). He sent me a message back saying that cowboy hats and hemorrhoids have one thing in common, they’re both found on………(use your imagination here). Anyway, I have both types of hats. I wear the wide brimmed ones fishing and they do a pretty good job of protecting my neck and ears from sunburn. Do you think my friend’s trying to tell me something?

Boolit Master
    Great post.

I will take exception to the never removing a hat.
    At the dinner table, & to greet a lady. I was raised to never sit at a dinner table with ANY kind of hat. And if I were to meet a lady, remove my hat & be polite. Momma & Daddy both taught me manners.

Boolit Master

I also Love this post!!

I Like cowboy hats, and Filson wide Brim hats and some of the old time hats that people wore it the 20`s to the 50`s. thank`s for posting .

Boolit Grand Master

Amen to the dinner table thing, My Mother kept a LARGE wooden spoon handy for wacking off any hat at the table and the head too.
    I still have dents!

Boolit Buddy

Can add a couple more thing about cowboy hats, know this from experience, they work a lot better at beating the yellow jackets off when you get into a ground nest and realize they have swarmed you, compared to a ball cap, of course this works better as you run as fast as you can. They work pretty good at turning cattle away too, unless it a mean old critter, which sometimes will charge just because of waving the hat.

Boolit Buddy
    Horses love those straw hats, never had a problem with the felts! And don't forget about the snow down the collar when wearing a baseball cap!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Buddy

I have 6, most Stetsons but one from Finchers in beaver fur when I was in the Ft Worth stockyards. Go to a cowboy church in a pole barn, we only take our hats off to pray
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

I only have an acre lot so it would be just wrong for me to wear a Cowboy hat as I can't call myself either a cowboy or a farmer. I do know where produce and meat come from so I'm not a city slicker and wouldn't take kindly to being called one. I do agree with the essay, right on the mark and pretty darn funny.

Boolit Master
    I wear one of my many hats every day, sometimes two or three a day depending on the day. I just had a 45 year old hat rebuilt by a custom maker, Naomi Bennett in South Dakota. This hat is a griz 10x beaver, and I only wore it in the rain, or the snow. thing is like a tank, it just don't care. I gave up taking them off in the restaurants due to no place safe to set it.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    Been wearing a broad-brimmed hat a long-time, even worn out a few sweat bands. Ball caps seem to show up in pick-up truck cowboys, in the old cabs the brim hits the rear windshield, in the new ones the headrest/whiplash guard gets in the way. That headrest is easy to remove and if you do any real work, your neck muscles keep your head in place. I've always enjoyed standing in a snow or rain visiting with another hunter or neighbor, watching the rain or snow going down their neck, then they realize I'm dry under my hat and head for cover. Big difference in sun strain on the eyes between a ball cap and a full coverage brim. I do use a stampede string in the wind or on horseback, particularly on horseback in timber, saves a lot of off/on the horse or chasing a hat moving at 30 mph across the prairie. I usually have two, the broke-in everyday hat and a 'town' hat that is being broke-in for the next rotation, seems mine last 15 years plus/minus. The dark hats are easier on the eyes out in the sun, less reflection from under the brim, just practical outside.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Great post.

I will take exception to the never removing a hat.
    At the dinner table, & to greet a lady. I was raised to never sit at a dinner table with ANY kind of hat. And if I were to meet a lady, remove my hat & be polite. Momma & Daddy both taught me manners.
    Absolutely. And removed for prayer. My favorite 50 odd year old Stetson met the brushhog a couple of years back- and I haven't found a new one yet that is "right" but I'll keep looking. The overly large current fad cowboy hats are stupid looking in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Didn't discover Stetson's till in my "50's" Wish had learned sooner. Steton's from 6 to 10 X, stay away from cheap wool hats if work in the rain LOL Got one blown off my head and rolled into a creek. Couple days later went down 2 sizes and from brown to green GW

Boolit Master
    Thank you for sharing that!
    I have worn a lid for my entire life, as does my father and his father before. Felt Stetson unless it's hot then it's a Resistol straw. I wear a ball cap for outdoor work when the sides of a hat are a hindrance.
    I was raised that a hat in the house was akin to dragging muddy boots across the carpet and still subscribe to that. I refuse to wear a hat while eating indoors also.
    It truly chaps my behind to see that it's somehow accepted to wear hats / caps in church, funerals, nice restaurants, other folks' houses, etc.
    I was also taught that women can wear hats in church and other places (think Easter type dress) but that is now being stretched a bit also.
    I guess I just see ignoring that sort of etiquette is a part of the decay of polite society.
    (I'll try not to sprain my ankle while dismounting my soapbox now)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

around here the ranchers wear the base ball style of cap, the cowboy hat just costs to much and gets destroyed to quick. some do have a sunday go to meeting cowboy style hat.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I was taught that it was improper to remain covered indoors unless you had the duty watch and were armed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I was taught that it was improper to remain covered indoors unless you had the duty watch and were armed.
    I was always asked if my head was cold! LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I only have an acre lot so it would be just wrong for me to wear a Cowboy hat as I can't call myself either a cowboy or a farmer. I do know where produce and meat come from so I'm not a city slicker and wouldn't take kindly to being called one. I do agree with the essay, right on the mark and pretty darn funny.
    Likewise, except I don't even have an acre. My family has a registered cattle brand in Colorado, but they bought the ranch and built the herd after I left home. I have enough other social defects I don't care to be known as "All hat, no cattle." I don't like much of anything but a cowboy hat, but I don't qualify.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    This past week in Alaska there has been a news story running that reports on a handful of people wearing cowboy hats to a school basketball game. Since the visiting team was from a nearby Indian reservation, the only one in Alaska, people from that reservation said the hats and the people wearing them are racist. The school system apologized for the hats. You can read it on www.mustreadalaska.com, or the Anchorage Daily News. Since there is no pasture in the part of Alaska where this took place there are just about no cows or horses, no authentic cowboys I suppose, and maybe no authentic Indians either. No cowboy movies have been filmed here so far as I know. I suppose if there was a statue of some famous person wearing a cowboy hat it would have to be torn down. School systems everywhere tend to be run by people who belong in California. I don't know where we put our common sense but I hope one day we find it again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast