Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help identify this press

Boolit Master
    Even has holes drilled for oil lubrication for the bearings on the linkage for the ram. Have no clue about the hunk of brass. I had a buddy who built a shooting rest. Whole thing was made of brass and bronze. When he polished it up shined like gold. Had a lathe, drill press and milling machine in his basement. Frank

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Pretty well done for a one-off. Someone had skills! Too bad Pressman isn't here.
    Where is Pressman? I've notice he has been absent awhile. Is everything ok? Ken is an encyclopedia of press knowledge that is truly remarkable.

Pressman was banned.... I have no information nor any idea why.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    looks home made, and done very well too.
    there is a difference between then and now. people who grew up during the depression and after ww2 many times made what they wanted. many had skills that are much more rare today. I was thinking about this recently when playing with my little sears lathe made by atlas as the 618 back in the 40's. there were lots and lots of these types of tools sold in the 40's and 50's and it was common for people to make all kinds of useful stuff. just thinking out loud here.

Thanks for all the replies. It’s a keeper for now. It does weigh a lot. My guess over 20lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Very nice work on them. There are a lot of craftsman who would rather make something than buy it, and they do a good job of it. The priming tool is interesting and looks to be a simple design.

Im wondering if the press was line bored after being welded up, Die head and ram in one set up. It appears there may be bronze bushings on the ram also.

Im thinking a benchrester made these for his range loading use at matches. ALso there was a time when reloading equipment was hard to find and O frame presses were scarce.
    When I read the last paragraph I thought "that works" but the more I looked at that press the more I thought about the size and weight of that thing and then noticed that it had 6 mounting holes. You would think at that size and heft it would stay put without bolts or screws. If he took it back and forth to the range to set up and use I can only imagine this guy was a bull. Heck he shoulda been able to hold a sizing Die in his left hand and with his right hand push the brass in and pull it out. Great workmanship to be sure. Or is it made of aluminum and I am off in the ditch. LOL

That primer seater is a thing of beauty.

Boolit Mold
    That is a really nice piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Nice work for sure.
    I’m trying to think of a situation where it would make sense to build vs buy these, and I’m coming up with nothing.
    You have never worked in any of the Detroit auto plants, in the old days they had full machine shops with lots of employees and at times nothing to do. Instead of sitting around drinking coffee, playing cards or sleeping, a lot of top secret government projects got completed on company time. And usually company material.

I've got one buddy who has a complete brass conditioning setup at work, he works hard when there's work but there is down time when nothing is broken. He polishes, sizes and trims all his brass at work.

He built a custom bracket that mounts to an I-beam to hold the tool, when work calls, it gets dismounted and goes back in his tool box. If he had seen a custom press like this one, he probably would have built one "just because".

There has been literally tons of custom car/motorcycle/hot rod/boat/iceboat parts that have come out of these plants. I have a considerable number of custom iceboat parts that came out of a local machine shop during lunch hours or down time. The boss was fully aware and just figured it was a free perk to keep a skilled machinest from getting bored and looking elsewhere for work.
    Last edited by 15meter; 07-30-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12