MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: which scope for savage A17

Boolit Buddy

which scope for savage A17

I will be be getting a savage A17 pretty soon in the 17 hmr. I have been scope shopping and an not sure of which scope to get for it. I really doubt I will ever try and shoot past two hundred yards. I don't want to purchase too much scope nor too little scope. I would most likely zero at a hundred. Your thoughts and experience please.

Boolit Buddy
    I would look for a 2.5-8 or 3-9 Leupold myself if I was going to use it hunting small game or varmint calling. I may need to shoot at a moving target and want the field of view. Punching paper or shooting prairie dogs I’d up my scope power 4-14 or 6-20.

Boolit Master
    the vortex diamondback 2-7 is about the clearest, brightest scope ive ever owned for less than $200
    and did I mention if you happen to run it over with your bulldozer, you send it back to vortex, they will send you a new one, no questions asked.

A fine crosshair is my first requirement for a .17 as the modern dual x and mil dot reticles cover up too much target. I used my perrinial Weaver K10 on the last one I had. But any good 3x9 will work for general use hunting.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I am using a Vortex Crossfire II on my CZ 457 22lr match rifle for shooting out to 100 yards. The adjustments are positive. The lenses are clear enough that I have no problem seeing my bullet holes. The crosshairs are fine enough that I can aim at a single bullet hole with no issues.
    I tend to use higher magnifications for precise aiming.
    There are a wide assortment of magnifications available. You can choose whatever seems appropriate for your intended use.
    Some of the scopes have mil dot crosshairs but the dots are small enough that they don't cover much of anything. They serve as an aiming point. I can easily use the dots for precise aiming. This may be due to the magnification I am using.

Boolit Master

I love me a Leupold... But sometimes ya just dont "need" to spend that coin.

Burris has been really upping there game. I bought a 4-12 chepo for a hornet H&R just to have more zoom... BEST 75$ I soent on a scope in a while!!!
    When I bought my B-Mag I looked to see what Burris had and they offered a CALIBER SPECIFIC scope with proper hold over hash marks in reticule... 129$!!

Its been GREAT! Brite and clear repeatable. No need for better.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw