Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice 00 buckshot load

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised, I must be wrong about those paper basewad hulls. It has been years since I used them.

Boolit Man
    I just took a closer look and the 10 pellet shells are just a little to lumpy on the sides. So I tried doing a 3 pellet layer for 3 layers and a much nicer looking shell.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing you can try is compressing the wad like mad. The 12S4 doesn't really compress all that much, but it might work.

Boolit Man

Sometimes a can picture help when a hull is not available. These were whacked some months ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base wads.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	298664 and the other side Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win & Fed high & low.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	298665

When looking over the supply of straight & taper wall hulls of different manufacturers a Bandsaw can be of value.
    A bit more destructive than using a dowel to check wad thickness but more informative.
    Federal is the only paper base wad hulls I have and paper base wads do not cut worth a hoot.

I haven't been able to find any data using the BPI X12X Symmetrical Gas Seal and Teflon or Mylar wraps using Red Dot for 1 Oz loads.
    A .125 Nitro Card on top of the gas seal reduces the deformation of the seals and helps the pattern of a 3X3 stack of 00 buck, the group size & std dev of 1 Oz sabot slug cast for use in a shot cup.
    The 3X3 stack of 00 Buck stack fits the hull with out making bumps much better with a gas seal, nitro card and wrap than in an OLD TRICO 12 ga universal wad.

I would prefer using Green Dot or Universal - if had any.
    Maybe when supplies get back to normal the Old Curmudgeon will gin one up with #47 Buffer in a straight wall 2" hull plastic base wad cut down from a 2 3/4" with a Trim Doctor II

The Labradar velocities with the slugs fall in line with quite a few published loads for 2 3/4" straight hulls with plastic base wad and 1oz pay load at around 1170 fps at the muzzle and 770 fps at 100 yd.

Labradar says they don't do shot but I got one reading for muzzle at 1165 fps & 979 fps at 25 feet so it locked on a 00 buck once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12