RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: RERUN: MiHec Brass 45-270 OHAUS HP?

Boolit Master

RERUN: MiHec Brass 45-270 OHAUS HP?

According to the Group Buy archives, this mold was last produced in 2012. I am including some quotes from the previous Group Buy almost 10 years ago:

"This boolit was done as a solid in a Lee GB by Dutch4122. He would like to see a good MiHec brass HP of it to go with his six shooter.................. The original GB weight was about 270 gr. A blank plug could provide that as well as a couple of HP weights depending on what was wanted. Here is something to look at. "

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-270 Ohaus HP #2.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	296088

Other quotes:

"This is an excellent heavyweight in the .45 Auto Rim revolvers. My 625-6 Mountain Gun absolutely dotes on this slug from the Lee six cavity Group Buy I ran previously. Now I really want this design with the hollowpoint option. Newer (stronger) N Frame guns like mine can be loaded to push this boolit into the 850-900 fps range with careful powder selection. Older M-1917's and 1937 Brazilians would require a more conservative approach to pressure in mind.

Also, this boolit is not for all .45 caliber revolvers. I have attached below a picture detailing the relation of this boolits long nose as it will sit in certain cylinders; specifically in the .45 Colt. Basically, .45 Colt Rugers, and full size .45 Auto Rim revolvers will work with this design." Dutch4122

Name:	ka3zVbm.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	296089

"This boolit design was meant for the .45 Auto Rim. It will fit all of the S&W and Colt .45 AR revolvers. The OAL of the cartridge with this boolit design loaded in Starline .45 AR brass is 1.360" The length of the cylinder on my S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun is 1.540" This boolit design will also fit Ruger Blackhawk and OM Vaquero .45 Colt cylinders when loaded in .45 Colt brass. I do not know if it will fit the Taurus Tracker cylinders; which are reported to be shorter that the S&W and Colt cylinders.

I have shot a lot of these slugs through my S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in the years since I ran the original group buy (270 grn solid) through Lee Precision. The gun absolutely dotes on this boolit. My load is 6 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays. I got the load from the .45 Auto Rim article by Brian Pierce in the August, 2008 issue of Handloader. He lists a 280 grain cast load for the RCBS 45-270-SAA boolit with Universal Clays; and a load range of 5.0 grains (738 fps) to 6.0 grains (921 fps). The test gun used was a S&W Model 625-6 with a 4 inch barrel.

This boolit is 10 grains lighter than the slug used by Pierce and takes up less case room due to the short length from base to crimp groove. Again, this slug was originally designed by Ohaus as a "heavyweight" specifically for the .45 Auto Rim; and I am of the opinion that they got it right. My gun also prefers boolits of this design to be hard. No less than 22 BHN, but not brittle. My best accuracy and no leading so far has been with an alloy consisting of 50% clip on Wheelweight and 50% pure lead with and additional 2.5% added Rotometals Nickle Bearing Babbit to get a very small percentage (less than 1% total) of copper blended into the mix.Boolits are water dropped from the mold into a 5 gallon bucket. These boolits are hard, but malleable. They do not shatter when struck by a hammer; but they do rivet. The gun stacks them at 25 yards. Further testing will be done to determine velocity, which I believe should be close to 900 fps; and accuracy at 50 yards from the bench.

***Note: I do not recommend that anybody reading this post use the higher end loads with the older WWI S&W and Colt 1917 revolvers. Not because I think you might blow the gun and yourself up; but because these higher pressure loads will be hard on the older (almost 100 year old) guns. I would personally stick to starting loads with this boolit in the 1917's. After all, it's 270 grains (solid) and will still penetrate just fine @700 fps."
    Dutch4122; 08-01-2012

Name:	2013-10-24 12.23.13.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	296090

I'm not sure how many sign-ups we would need to have Miha do a re-run, but I would imagine he still has the tooling in his shop... which might expedite a Group Buy. I am hoping we could have this one run in 2 and 4 cavity HP molds (with all pins). Members' feedback appreciated (particularly those who were in on the previous Group Buy).

Vendor Sponsor

Hi NY,

I would love to get my hands on one of these molds! Yes could be done in 2 and 4 cav. But even though the cherry is still in Miha's shop, the pins are still the "tall pole". When he was ordering the pins from another shop the requirement was 100 pin set minimum which means 25 qty, 4-cav or 50 qty 2-cav molds. HOWEVER, Miha is in the process of getting a new micro lathe delivered and setup, once that happens he can start running pins himself. He'll still have to clear out all the backlog on my active GB's and the other Honchos, but I see light at the end of the tunnel...

I think this would be a great mold to run!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Hi NY,

I would love to get my hands on one of these molds! Yes could be done in 2 and 4 cav. But even though the cherry is still in Miha's shop, the pins are still the "tall pole". When he was ordering the pins from another shop the requirement was 100 pin set minimum which means 25 qty, 4-cav or 50 qty 2-cav molds. HOWEVER, Miha is in the process of getting a new micro lathe delivered and setup, once that happens he can start running pins himself. He'll still have to clear out all the backlog on my active GB's and the other Honchos, but I see light at the end of the tunnel...

I think this would be a great mold to run!
    Sure could use your expertise in Honcho-land to help make this happen...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    Sure could use your expertise in Honcho-land to help make this happen...
    Absolutely will

Boolit Master
    bttt...

Boolit Master
    I would sign up for one as well.

Boolit Master
    UPDATE: after a year of wondering whether anyone besides myself and 2 others had any interest in a re-run of this mold, I received a note from Miha that this design was back in stock as a 4-banger.

I have notified the other 2 interested parties. As far as I am concerned, the mods can lock this thread.

Contact Miha directly to get one of these “once in 10 year” mold runs, Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    UPDATE: after a year of wondering whether anyone besides myself and 2 others had any interest in a re-run of this mold, I received a note from Miha that this design was back in stock as a 4-banger.

I have notified the other 2 interested parties. As far as I am concerned, the mods can lock this thread.

Contact Miha directly to get one of these “once in 10 year” mold runs, Good luck.
    Any idea what Miha's mold designation was on this? I would love to have one of these!!

I think this is it: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-45-270-ohaus-hp/

Interesting that it seems to only be available in .455", which is bigger than I think I can use with my Rugers. I could size them down, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

Boolit Master
    Bullet was designed for pre-war Colts and Smith & Wesson revolvers; chamber throats run .454+” (my model 1917 S&W has chamber throats @ .4545”).

Contact MP MOLDS website and search for HP molds @ .454”; order from him directly as this mold was last run in 2012, and when they’re gone, God only knows when it will run again.

Boolit Master
    Old reloading book I read 10 years ago said one can safely size bullets .1% (.003” for a 30 cal., .004” for a 40 cal., etc.) and. not lose a lot of accuracy.

Old reloading book I read 10 years ago said one can safely size bullets .1% (.003” for a 30 cal., .004” for a 40 cal., etc.) and. not lose a lot of accuracy.
    That should work just fine then. WTH, I need yet another mold!