Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tractor PTO

Boolit Master

Tractor PTO

OK Maybe a strange question
    But is or was there a 60 - 100 HP tractor with a 540 RPM PTO Shaft that came out of the Front of the tractor ?

I know there is a Kit to add a 1000 RPM PTO Shaft and 3 Point Hitch to the front of some tractors

But a 1000 RPM PTO shaft is to fast

I may have a chance to buy a older Case Tractor with a PTO powered snow blower attached to it
    The Snow blower is in good shape , it worked last year before the tractor died
    The tractor has a seized motor and someone took it part way apart and quit

I am not interested in putting a new motor on it

If I could I would like to mount the snow blower on the front of my tractor
    I have a Allis-Chalmers 185 with a cab
    In the winter Blade in the back and a front loader
    But no front PTO shaft
    I also do not think the hydraulic pump would be anywhere close to having enough power to run a snow blower
    If I took off the front bucket and mounted the snow blower in it's place

So I was wondering if I could find a used tractor with a front PTO shaft

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    not sure about what tractors exactly. but ive added hydraulic pumps to the front of case and ford tractors in the past. bolting adapter to crank shaft pulley, made my own shafts on the mill and lathe and found ways to mount pump up front on steel plate. shaft went through the pivot bushing on front axle. the same way the old case 580ck backhoes were set up.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Some of the 10 series John Deere tractors had a pto shaft under the belly of the tractors facing forward for attaching a side mounted sickle bar hay mower. My personal opinion, attach a hydraulic motor to the blower input shaft, hook it up to your remote hydraulic outlets and then go blow snow, brother! Or, put a hydraulic pump on your pto shaft on your tractor you have now and you have complete control then. Good luck whatever you choose.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

A jack shaft could be made to run from rear pto to front with a belt drive to transfer power. Would require 2 pillow block bearings. I would also limit loaders range if mounting blower on a loader so it cant be lifted up to where the pto shaft slides apart. The loader is going to have much more lift than the 3 point

Boolit Master

a lot of newer tractors have a front pto, as well as lift arms for front mount equipment. I think it has to be ordered as an option if you want it. my newer kubota has a rear, mid, and front pto shaft. most of the pto's are duel use, depending on which stub you install they can be either 540 or 1000
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    a lot of newer tractors have a front pto, as well as lift arms for front mount equipment. I think it has to be ordered as an option if you want it. my newer kubota has a rear, mid, and front pto shaft. most of the pto's are duel use, depending on which stub you install they can be either 540 or 1000
    I think this is the most practical solution.

But this for the heck of it:

https://www.zuidbergna.com/front-3-p...tch-front-pto/

I have no experience with this company or any front pto/lift arrangements though I am a farmer.

Best regards and good luck at your endeavor!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I know front crankshaft pto’s were available for jeeps. 1000 rpm seems about right.

I think the older JD 3010, 4010, then the 3020 & 4020 had front facing 1000 rpm pro shafts under the tractor belly. Not sure in the 30, 40, 50, 55 and 60 series tractors had them or not or newer models , any brand. Newer models you are looking at big bucks. If you are in the bigger snow belt some equipment dealer should be able to tell you how much hydraulic capability you would need to run one on oil. Good luck.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Me thinks that Zuidberg front 3 pt and pto would exceed the value of your Allis 185. Just a guess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Me thinks that Zuidberg front 3 pt and pto would exceed the value of your Allis 185. Just a guess.
    LOL YES!!
    My Allis 185 was built in 1980
    I bought it for $500 and the rear tires were just 2 years old
    I just had to replace both front wheel bearings

Bad thing , I talked to my brother tonight
    He IS a farmer and also works a full time job
    He told me right now used farm equipment many times costs the same amount as new
    Because of production shortages

He told me , if I can get the snow blower
    Just mount it on the rear 3 point hitch of the Allis 185 and learn to back up

He said finding and buying a tractor will cost me at least $10,000 and that would be a older high hour tractor
    He said a 10 year old tractor could cost at least $20,000 if it is in good shape and medium number of hours
    He just bought a new 1000 gallon nurse tank for spraying fields , he has to wait over a month till it get to the dealer
    As buying the same nurse tank at a farm auction would probably cost as much or more than a new one

So I will just offer the farmer what I hope he will take
    If not
    I will be scraping my driveway

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    I think the older JD 3010, 4010, then the 3020 & 4020 had front facing 1000 rpm pro shafts under the tractor belly. Not sure in the 30, 40, 50, 55 and 60 series tractors had them or not or newer models , any brand. Newer models you are looking at big bucks. If you are in the bigger snow belt some equipment dealer should be able to tell you how much hydraulic capability you would need to run one on oil. Good luck.
    This. As far as I can remember, both the 3020 and the 4020 we had, had a mid-mount PTO facing forward. It came out of the front of the gear case where it mounted to the back of the engine.

Most people never noticed it because it had a dust cover over the splined shaft.
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-11-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are looking for an economical solution, Consider mounting it on the back and using the tractor in reverse. Lots of farmers used to use a blade in back to plow snow before things got so modernized.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    OP, Yes there was. as previously posted JD started them with the 10 series. All front, or mid PTOs that I am familiar with are all 1000 rpms. It matters not that they are to fast for your dreaming application. they are 1000 rpm because at this higher speed they can utilize/tranfer more usable HP. a 540 system is only capable of 57HP. IMHO, your 185 does not have anywhere near enough weight in the back to make it even slightly usable with a front mounted snow blower. you would have to hang so much ballast on the rear to maintain any amount of traction. as soon as you point the nose down hill you wont be able to back up. to use a front mounted blower in any type of adverse conditions it needs to have the front wheels driving of the vehicle or tractor.

My JD 1020 has the mid 1000 rpm PTO but I am not foolish enough to think mounting my 6' double auger Mckee snow blower to the front would be a good idea.

With the Plandemic/Election infection, Government Fear mongering, still raging on, how can one be so naive to think it only effects the supply of powder and primers. LOL

Good Luck
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-11-2022 at 08:15 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

In my part of the world that Allis 185 if it ran decent would bring 5 to 7 grand. You won’t get much more for 10. A 4020 maybe if it was really rough. A nice 4020 could be 15+ easy. 40 series JD’s bring more than they cost new, esp big ones.