Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Sharps

Guys I have ? about loading a 45 cal paper cartridge Sharps without paper shells,or those reusable brass cases that take a ring-tailed bullet.All I have on hand right now is a Lyman 457191. So can I lube this bullet push it into the chamber with wood dowel then fill chamber with powder and get on with shooting this Sharps.Picked a bad time to go looking for a bunch of stuff to load a Sharps.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes.

Boolit Master
    You can, but if my own Pedersoli Berdan is anything typical, the chamber will take about twice the weight of loose powder if a paper cartridge isn’t used.

It probably takes many shots to do this, but the people who complain about gas-cut breechblocks always seem to be the ones who shoot the loose powder charges. Be careful to avoid reopening the breech after the rifle is charged before firing. Loose powder can migrate down into the space around the lever spring in the wood forend and ignite when the rifle is fired. Not a healthy situation, if you are holding the rifle normally.

You can make a cartridge kit with a wood dowel, tapered on a drill press with a file and polished with sandpaper. A glue stick from a craft store, some permanent-wave papers from Sally Beauty Supply, and a little practice in getting the length right to chamber, and you’re set.

I didn’t know Pedersoli made percussion Sharps replicas in anything but .52 caliber. Is this .45 a Sporting Model or something?

Boolit Master
    Yes sir it is a 1863 Sporting model. It is from the late 90's not sure if it has the O ring gas seal. Could one use a filler to take up space before adding black powder?

Boolit Master
    Forgot to ask does the bullet have to be a ring tail type

Boolit Master
    I'vr never tried fillers. The ring tail on the "Christmas Tree" boolit is for attaching to paper cartridges, not necessary at all for shooting otherwise. You could push the 457191 into the rifling and make a paper tube of powder to drop in after it. The boolit might even fit the chamber wrapped in the paper; you'd have to experiment to see.

Mine has the Pedersoli version of the Lawrence gas-check system; I guess it's an early one.

Boolit Master
    Thank you,Yes I'm going to try the method you suggested. I really didn't need a new project,but I look forward to squeezing the trigger on this Sharps for the first time.

Boolit Master

Cartridge Kits makes a former for the .54 Sharps. I use their kits for my Ruger Old Army and it works well.

https://cartridgekits.com/
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

I always shot loose powder in mine. There is a bullet out there called a "trash can" that shot best in mine. Looks like a "trash can".

Yes they work with loose powder and yes you can use cornmeal or cream o wheat between the bullet and powder. If it's 45 caliber you can use any 45-70 appropriate bullet in it. Once you shoot it and get tired of the leaking and block sticking you can get Larry Flees or Charlie Hahn to modify it so it will not leak and keep running for a long time. Before you do shoot it, take the gas plate out and make sure it's got a fresh O ring in it. And buy several replacements, they don't last long. Use good grease on that plate so it can be removed from the block when you're done shooting.

Boolit Master
    Will do all of the above Nobade.Just going slow on this because it is all new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Will do all of the above Nobade.Just going slow on this because it is all new to me.
    Should be a fun rifle. Enjoy!