Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need recommendation for .44 caliber 200 grain for Winchester 94

Boolit Master

Need recommendation for .44 caliber 200 grain for Winchester 94

My father left me a Winchester 1894 in .44 Magnum. He had always shot it with factory 240 grain JSP bullets. It will not feed Keith 240 grain SWC out of the magazine. I am looking for a recommendation for an appropriate bullet mold. I believe I would prefer a gas checked design, as I would probably drive them fast, and I have a lot of gas checks on the shelf. I believe I would prefer a flat-pointed round nose. I guess I would prefer a bullet of about 200 grains weight. I have a lot of NRA formula 50% Beeswax/50% Alox 2138F, as well as LLA, so I am happy with either. I am looking at the Accurate 43-205G.

I would particularly appreciate recommendations from anyone who has one of these rifles.

Had a similar problem with my Browning B92 but swapped to 44 Special brass and problem went away!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    You don't want a true round-nose, for stuffing into a tubular magazine. You want a round-nose flat-point projectile. I don't know, off hand, who makes one, but I'd bet that such molds are fairly common. Lee makes a 2-cavity mold for a 200 gr. RNFP, which is intended for use in .44-40, but I suspect it would work for your carbine. NOE makes a 240 gr. WFN mold (sometimes), that I would EXPECT to work through a lever action, and likely give you better down-range performance.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I have the Accurate 210E (plain base) and the 210EG (gas check) mixed in a four cavity. The gas checked cavities are for use in my Marlin 1894 carbine. Plain bass for 44 caliber revolvers. I size my bullets to .433 so I had Tom cut the cavities to drop .434 diameter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090174.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	296010

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Lyman 429215 would be one to look at. 200gr GC bullet. I like the idea of a Keith bullet in 44 spec brass too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ranch Dog or any of it's clones.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Lyman 429215. They work great through my Henry.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    For feeding in tube fed leverguns I’ve found the best bullet shapes are RNFP and truncated cone styles (incl LFN &WFN shapes).

SWC styles were designed for revolvers and their sharp edges can sometimes hang up feeding in a levergun.

Also groove diameters in 44 mag rifles tend to be very generous compared to 44 mag revolvers. The mould you selected is designed for a 44/40 and they have narrower groove diameters. It should work fine if you request a larger diameter (eg. 0.434).

Otherwise I would go with ‘winelovers’ suggestion in post 4, including asking for the larger bullet diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot these in my Rossi 92. No gas check but I powder coat. No leading issue. However, I usually load fairly light.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010208562?pid=520228

Boolit Master
    mp 432640, miha makes it in both gas check and non gas check versions

Boolit Master

The Saeco # 420 200 gr tc works great in several winchester & marlin 44 mag rifles

Boolit Buddy
    I second the mp 432640 gc version based on your needs.

Boolit Master

Lyman 429215

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Lyman 429215 would be one to look at. 200gr GC bullet. I like the idea of a Keith bullet in 44 spec brass too.
    +1 for this bullet. It fed w/o any problems in a M94 chambered in 44 magnum I had. I pushed them (cast of COWWs + 2% tin) right at 1900 fps loaded over H110 with excellent accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man

I second the 'use 44 special brass' comment. I use a 77/44 which has a short magazine length. To use a keith style bullet, special brass are the answer. I suppose going back to long brass would require some special detail to cleaning. My gun shoots that keith bullet quite well in special brass, somewhere around 2" at 100 yds. It will take the head of a rabbit cleeeeeaaaan off within 50 yards, it's so accurate.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Try Arsenals 432-210 Iv'e had real good results with it in .44-40 leverguns and it can be ordered with a gas check base.

Boolit Master
    I suggest the Lyman 429215 based on your velocity desires.
    However, the Lee 44 200RNFPis an excellent boolit for the .44 mag as long as you don't drive them too fast.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!