WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube Sizer issue

Boolit Mold

Lube Sizer issue

I have an RCBS lube sizer I use to size and lube my BPCR cast bullets and I use SPG lube. Does anyone else have problems with the lube getting under the bullet in the sizing die. I don't use a heater and it's a pain wiping out the die every cycle. Is there a trick to this? Thanks, Bob

Boolit Master
    Use a flat base boolit. Too much bevel will leak. You can super glue a gas check to the piston and trim a little if needed on a bevel base.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-08-2022 at 07:36 PM.

With bevel base boolits, I expect a little bit around the base, but not very much.
    Otherwise: When mine does that it's from the lube being soft (My heater set too hot)
    and/or too much pressure on the hand crank.

Also, be sure the boolit goes below the lowest of the lube delivery holes in the sizer die.
    Then don't put so much pressure on the crank.

Residual pressure is another variable. Sometimes I can lube two boolits with one crank on the handle.
    But if you do one, then let it sit a few minutes, and little ribbons of lube come up around the rod-
    you're putting too much pressure on the press handle.

Once I get going one one size, I'll get tuned in to where I know how much to rotate it.
    Sometimes it'll be like from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock, or 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock, etc.
    in 'two hour', '3 hour' or four hour increments.

There are several variables, how big the grooves are, softness & lube temp.
    handle pressure, and you just have to balance them out.

Once I get mine figured out for what I'm doing,
    I run all of that boolit I plan to use for at least a year.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-08-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Might need to lower your bullet a bit. The lube hole might be too low on the bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, my bullets are all flat base and 45 caliber. I will try to get a little more gentle on the crank handle. Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Alas, this is where the Star Sizers shines. Many things have been tried with the other sizers over the years, but a thin styrofoam wafer (egg carton) under the bullet helps.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    if you have a sizer die with rows of Holes at different heights

plug the lower holes with some shot that is larger than the hole

Most 45 acp cast bullets only have 1 lube groove and only need 1 row of holes to fill them

I have also found softer lube to get under bullet if too much pressure is used
    or if using a heater lube gets too hot

Boolit Master
    A flat base boolit can't leak on the bottom unless it's smaller or out of round or the lube sizer is not adjusted properly or too hot or over pressure. The clearance could be wrong with the lube sizer.<.451 boolit with .452 sizer.> Measure the base of the boolit. I adjust my boolits just deep enough to fill the lube groove. The only trick I know is to powder coat.

I wipe the base of every bullet after lubing/sizing with a couple of paper towels folded over and a couple swipes across the towels. Clean and dry nothing to let powder or wad to stick to the bottom of the bullet, I was taught this many moons ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Place a foam disposable plate over the die hole and punch a disk out with the top punch. Leave the disk on top of the eject pin and size as normal. The foam makes a gasket to prevent the bleed of lube under the boolit base.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I wipe the base of every bullet after lubing/sizing with a couple of paper towels folded over and a couple swipes across the towels. Clean and dry nothing to let powder or wad to stick to the bottom of the bullet, I was taught this many moons ago.

Exactly, how I do it with the LAM. As said, the Star is the better choice.

Winelover

I have this problem also. I just have decided to live with it and keep an old Allen wrench that I use to remove the top punch and scrap the lube off the bottom punch if it gets too thick. I may try the styro-foam trick.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I have also plugged lower holes in sizer dies. Keep plenty of downward pressure on your bullet too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Might need to lower your bullet a bit. The lube hole might be too low on the bullet.
    ^this^ And maybe ease up on the lube pressure a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

1.Make sure your lube groove(s) are lined up with a hole in the die .
    2.Make sure the boolit base isn't lined up with a hole in the die .
    3.Look at plunger , mine has a flat end and a slightly concave end , make sure you use the flat end with a flat based boolit .
    4. Go easy-easy on the pressure ... 90% to 95% filled lube grooves will do the job . Overpressuring will force lube under base ... ease off , apply just enough pressure to fill and if you partially fill the groove , turn the boolit 90 degrees and finish filling with a little more light pressure .
    You have to develop a feel for just the right amount of pressure ... practice filling 95% and leaving a clean base ... develop the "Fine Touch" .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    3.Look at plunger , mine has a flat end and a slightly concave end , make sure you use the flat end with a flat based boolit .
    4. Go easy-easy on the pressure ... 90% to 95% filled lube grooves will do the job . Overpressuring will force lube under base ... ease off , apply just enough pressure to fill and if you partially fill the groove , turn the boolit 90 degrees and finish filling with a little more light pressure .
    You have to develop a feel for just the right amount of pressure ... practice filling 95% and leaving a clean base ... develop the "Fine Touch" .
    Gary
    If you have a troublesome die/boolit combo, and if you did everything Gary posted above, and still get some lube under the boolit, there is a little trick, a wee bit time consuming, but less time consuming then cleaning the boolit base of each, as well as cleaning out the Die.

Use a straight wrench instead of a ratchet on the lube pressure screw. Don't pressurize the lube until the boolit is pushed down into the die, then pressurize the lube (usually half a turn), then depressurize the lube (half a turn back), then lift the lubed boolit out of the die. Problem solved.
    >Bullshop taught me that trick
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    XXXXXXXXXX I do mine with the concave side of the plunger to the top. When the sprue plate cuts the boolit end it sticks out a c- hair. If you turn the flat side up you will probably get a little lube. If the concave side is up the sprue cut on the boolit doesn't touch.: I have six 450 lube sizers and a few others to keep me entertained.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-18-2022 at 05:02 AM. Reason: detail more

Boolit Mold
    I will try the foam and watch my heavy handed pressure. I didn't notice the concave and flat sides so I will check that also. Thank you. Bob

[QUOTE=45DUDE;5352921]
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    XXXXXXXXXX I do mine with the concave side of the plunger to the top. When the sprue plate cuts the boolit end it sticks out a c- hair. If you turn the flat side up you will probably get a little lube. If the concave side is up the sprue cut on the boolit doesn't touch.: I have six 450 lube sizers and a few others to keep me entertained.
    Dittos.
    Cognitive Dissident

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I bought the pneumatic "Air Feed for the Bullet Lube" for my Star Sizer (an Honest to God Star from San Diego!), and have never looked back. It is awesome, and the $105 it costs for the pneumatic upgrade pales in comparison to the frustration I've had with the conventional spring feed system.

I wish I'd done this ten years ago???? Duh?

The price has increased but they have not updated the web page. So if you call to order it tell them the price is $105 according to their web site.

Look for "Air Feed for the Bullet Lube (60 psi air pressure required) $105.00"

here: https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

And, depending on the bullet, I run mine from sixty to ninety PSI, usually at around 124F- 126F with Magma Engineering Blue lube.

The thermistors for the temp controller and the DMM (which will read temps) are stuck into some "horse pucky" window sealant stuck around the lubricant column base, which you can buy at Home Despot that is lots softer than kiddies' modeling clay..

Don't leave home w/o it. The Air Feed. It rocks.
    Last edited by pcmacd; 02-10-2022 at 10:19 PM.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast