Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Rem

Boolit Master

30 Rem

How hard is it to make 30 Rem from 30-30 brass without a lathe? I'm looking at a Standard Arms Model M in 30 Rem.

Boolit Master
    It's not super challenging, but I sort of enjoy these sorts of projects.
    And keep your eyes open, it does show up for sale pretty frequently, as well as 25 and 32 Remington brass which takes the lathe work out of it.
    https://youtu.be/CjyyQWXQfjg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Graf and sons have 25 and 32 Remington brass in stock, size up or down as needed.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I haven't bought the rifle yet. It's on consignment in a shop and I'm going to make a lower offer tomorrow. A member on this forum offered 35 Rem brass, which would make life easier. Interesting rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the .35 Remington is too large to form into the smaller Remington cases. I believe the .25, .30 and .32 share the same basic case, with the .35 being the bigger oddball.

Look up some of Grumpa's posts. I am fairly sure he posted a detailed writeup of converting .30-30 to .30 Remington. If you can find it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think the .35 Remington is too large to form into the smaller Remington cases. I believe the .25, .30 and .32 share the same basic case, with the .35 being the bigger oddball.

Look up some of Grumpa's posts. I am fairly sure he posted a detailed writeup of converting .30-30 to .30 Remington. If you can find it.

Robert
    I agree with Robert. The 25, 30 and 32 were basically a rimless 30-30, whereas the 35 more resembles something Krag sized. Might be doable.....? But I think 25 or 32 is what you want if forming.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Mk42/Trails4u are correct, 35 Remington is a completely different case. 32 Rem, 30 Rem and 25 Rem are derived from the same case. Lube and run any of theses cases (25/32) into a full length sizing die and your in business. Overall length is the same for all three cartridges. For 30 Remington, use 30-30 data for reloading purposes. They are pretty neat calibers and very good deer rounds. Post some pictures when you get your rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    How hard is it to make 30 Rem from 30-30 brass without a lathe? I'm looking at a Standard Arms Model M in 30 Rem.
    Before I found some for sale and almost mortgaged the house (just kidding, but price was unreal!) to purchase some .30-30 Remington, on the advice and with the help of a friend we used a "vertical lather" to produce some from .3oWCF brass. Using a Delta 14" drill press, we filed a three or four inch length of wood doweling to snugly hold a fired case, which was lowered on a (hi-tech here) cut off and ground smooth roofing nail tip which was driven through a piece of scrap plywood.
    When the chuck was lowered, the primer pocket would keep case bottom from drifting, and an ordinary plain-Jane mill bastard file was applied until the rim was filed down to same diameter as the case. Then removed, a knife shaped file was hand held as the case was turned to remve the formed burr. A touch or two of 600-grit wet 'n dry paper on the outside edge -- and that's all she wrote!
    Bion, we did twenty cases, and they all fired, and functioned well, in a Model 8 Remington.
    What I did... Re loading, the same bullets as for .30WCF, as well as same powder (I used IMR 3031) was employed -- exact same loading.
    geo

Boolit Master

I haven't bought the rifle yet. It's on consignment in a shop and I'm going to make a lower offer tomorrow. A member on this forum offered 35 Rem brass, which would make life easier. Interesting rifle.

It’s a typo he meant 30 Rem brass

Gmsharps

Boolit Master
    More than a typo - it's a brain glitch. I have a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem and i keep thinking the Standard Arms is 35 Rem. I did check out a Standard Arms Model G in 35 Rem last year but from what I've read, the Model G was prone to breaking, so shooters just used it as a pump, which is why they came out with the Model M (just pump). Plus they wanted $1700 for it. The one I'm looking at is alot cheaper. I'm pretty sure I can use 30-30 dies and load data for the 30 Rem.

Boolit Master
    There are a few differences in case shape between the 30/30 Win and the 30 Rem.
    1.base to shoulder, 30 win 1.440 30 rem 1.498
    2. Shoulder length 30 win .476 30 rem .075
    3. shoulder angle 30 win 15 degree 30 rem 23 degree
    You can make 30 Rem from 30win but it will require fire forming. Reloading with 30win dies will require continued fire forming which will ruin brass quickly. I made 50 30 Rem brass from 30/30 but once made and fire formed I use 30 Rem dies. I used a lathe to make mine and ground a tool to cut the extractor grooves in one pass. I would think cutting extractor grooves using a drill press would be difficult but I haven't tried it.

Boolit Master
    More than a typo - it's a brain glitch. I have a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem and i keep thinking the Standard Arms is 35 Rem. I did check out a Standard Arms Model G in 35 Rem last year but from what I've read, the Model G was prone to breaking, so shooters just used it as a pump, which is why they came out with the Model M (just pump). Plus they wanted $1700 for it. The one I'm looking at is alot cheaper. I'm pretty sure I can use 30-30 dies and load data for the 30 Rem.
    I personally own or have owned each Remington caliber in the model 8. I have never owned a set of Remington dies for them though. I have Lee neck sizing dies for each and data for both the Winchester and Remington, and have had no problems encountered.
    I know that the shoulders are (minutely) different, but I haven't had an issue after many thousands of rounds of 25, 30, 32 and even 35 (waaaay different case).
    Mostly because the proper dies are 'spensive. And I use the same dies dialed differently for 25-35, 30-30, and 32 Special.
    I am quite sure your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Brass is available and properly marked. http://www.qual-cart.com/300%20cal.htm
    USMC 6638

Pretty sure the 6.8 SPC was formed from the 30 Remington. Is it possible to reverse it ?

Boolit Master

Too short, unfortunately Starline's basic 6.8 is also lacking.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    qual cart does not show them in stock and if they had them, they are over $35 per 20. If I didn't have 400+ 30 Rem cases, I would make them from 30/30 Win.

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread. Years ago I lucked onto a 30 Remington pump. Even then (early /70's) there was very little ammunition around. I bought it whenever I found some so I have a good supply of brass, but knowledge is never wasted.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I believe that the 25 Remington brass is the way to go since it's available through Graf's.
    Ironically - when I got my 25 Remington I found a bunch of 30 Remington brass that I resized down, and it actually lasted longer than quite a few of the properly headstamped brass.

Boolit Master
    A gentleman has some 30 rem for sale on S&S right now.

Boolit Master
    I made an offer on the rifle - it's on consignment at a gun store. The store will contact the owner and get back to me. Now I wait.
    I'm pretty sure that my offer is more than what the store offered to buy it for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast