Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: High BC .458 caliber casting molds.

As a general rule of thumb do BPCR rifles tend to have a lot of free bore?

So, what types of paper are best for paper patching?

Here is another question in a .45-110 case is better to use a Large Rifle primer or a Magnum primer?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterNCUS View Post
    As a general rule of thumb do BPCR rifles tend to have a lot of free bore?
    Early Shilohs, Pedersolis and C Sharps yes. B serial numbered Shiloh's no.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

So, what types of paper are best for paper patching?
    Best is one of those questions that can only be answered by you.
    I can tho tell you my preferences based on what my rifles tell me. Either Seth Cole 55w or 55Y depending on bullet diameter and what the rifle and target get together and report back.

Here is another question in a .45-110 case is better to use a Large Rifle primer or a Magnum primer?
    My rifles don't seem to think a Magnum primer is a big requirement. I have a friend that shoots nothing but magnum primers and he and his wife are a couple of folks that show up to a match and you know you're going to have to be on the mark to keep up with or best them. Again, that's something your rifle will explain to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    My rifles don't seem to think a Magnum primer is a big requirement. I have a friend that shoots nothing but magnum primers and he and his wife are a couple of folks that show up to a match and you know you're going to have to be on the mark to keep up with or best them. Again, that's something your rifle will explain to you.
    That of course makes sense. But, I was looking for basically what types of paper should I be looking for: thicker stiffer paper or thinner paper. That way I could be at least a few steps closer to the getting a better result than just me buying a reams of paper and blindly going at it. As for the primers I never see in these loadings online that I've read anything about the primer. So I figured I would try the most popular setup first and see if that works with my rifle and then work backwards from that. I figure that if a lot of people are getting decent results with a magnum primer perhaps my rifle will also do the same. And if not then go back to a large rifle primer.

I am just trying to no reinvent the wheel as much as possible. If I can build on the wisdom of shooters like yourself Don then I am that much closer to figuring out my favorite pet loads for this rifle.

Thanks for all the information.
    Last edited by WalterNCUS; 02-12-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Paper depends a bunch on what type of shooting. Long range target etc, you need to fall back on knowledge the Old Dead Guys left us with, back in the day there was what they referred to as thick, medium and thin.
    For better accuracy with a straight sided bullet in a chamber that isn't over sized or excessive throat, then you start with a bullet at .004-006 under bore diameter, and then experiment a bit with paper some to see what the rifle's preference runs on weight, and width of the patch. Seth Cole 55 W is never a bad place to start, and maybe stick with, altho I have rifles that will tighten groups when using the 55Y (which is thinner). The closer to bore diameter the bullet is before patching, generally the thinner the paper.
    Hunting and such then that leaves the door wide open to bullets as much as .010 or more under bore diameter and then patched up with 9 lb or heavier paper.
    Wad stacks can make a huge difference in the performance of a patched load to, and there again you start having to look at the wrapped bullet fit to the bore.
    Paper patching is also very heavily dependent on fouling management for that fine grade target accuracy. Hunting and gong match type stuff you can get away with a lot of crap that will put you at the bottom of the tally sheet in a target match.

Boolit Master
    Your C. Sharps might have a little bit of freebore but shouldn't have much. Every .45 cal C. Sharps rifle I've owned seemed to have different chamber design for whatever reason. None had a lot of freebore, but usually had some.

Chris.

Early Shilohs, Pedersolis and C Sharps yes. B serial numbered Shiloh's no.
    I was just curious given the length of some of these bullets if they had a lot free bore. I will have to measure that and see what my rifle likes whether it likes a jump to the lands or right on them. I have to say the part I like best about getting into a aspect of shooting is all the data collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Your C. Sharps might have a little bit of freebore but shouldn't have much. Every .45 cal C. Sharps rifle I've owned seemed to have different chamber design for whatever reason. None had a lot of freebore, but usually had some.

Chris.

That sort of concerns me that company keeps changing the set up. You would think that they would create one setup for each cartridge and then stick with it. Unless the purchaser has specific reamers he/she wants to use for the chamber then I could see variations like you're talking about. But thanks for the info Chris.

How do like the quality of the rifles overall?

Paper depends a bunch on what type of shooting. Long range target etc, you need to fall back on knowledge the Old Dead Guys left us with, back in the day there was what they referred to as thick, medium and thin.
    For better accuracy with a straight sided bullet in a chamber that isn't over sized or excessive throat, then you start with a bullet at .004-006 under bore diameter, and then experiment a bit with paper some to see what the rifle's preference runs on weight, and width of the patch. Seth Cole 55 W is never a bad place to start, and maybe stick with, altho I have rifles that will tighten groups when using the 55Y (which is thinner). The closer to bore diameter the bullet is before patching, generally the thinner the paper.
    Hunting and such then that leaves the door wide open to bullets as much as .010 or more under bore diameter and then patched up with 9 lb or heavier paper.
    Wad stacks can make a huge difference in the performance of a patched load to, and there again you start having to look at the wrapped bullet fit to the bore.
    Paper patching is also very heavily dependent on fouling management for that fine grade target accuracy. Hunting and gong match type stuff you can get away with a lot of crap that will put you at the bottom of the tally sheet in a target match.
    Well, I can shoot paper matches at the club I found near me but that is only to 200y. And to be honest I only shoot paper or steel targets. I want to get into the BPCR Silhouette shooting but I will have to travel to PA for that and it's about 5 hours. I need to find a closer range for that sort of stuff in NYS. But that is my goal Paper targets for score and Silhouettes too.

So, basically, I figure I will be using thinner paper patches and tighter fitting projectiles to the bore-- probably about .003-.006 like you say. I will have to test out which ones work best in my rifle. But at least with the information you have given me Don I have a baseline from which I can start my experimenting.

I really want to do the 2023 Quigley Shoot if they still do it.

They are I think shooting paper matches out to 1000 yards at Read Pennsylvania
    They abandoned those matches a few years ago but resurrected them last year,haven’t seen any announcements for this year yet
    Also I think they shoot midrange at a range in New Jersey a couple of times a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both my C. Sharps 45-70 and Browning 40-65 have a lot of freebore. Neither of them will shoot a parallel sided paper patched bullet well. It needs to be big enough to patch to groove diameter, which defeats the whole purpose, or of a 2 diameter design. Those are a bit harder to patch, but the results can be spectacular. The Browning especially will shoot groups half the size with it's custom 2 diameter bullet than it will with the best grease groove loads I have been able to come up with.

They are I think shooting paper matches out to 1000 yards at Read Pennsylvania
    They abandoned those matches a few years ago but resurrected them last year,haven’t seen any announcements for this year yet
    Also I think they shoot midrange at a range in New Jersey a couple of times a year
    I thought NJ had a range too but when I searched for it this time I couldn't find it. I have been looking for a month now. I will find something. But I wish the sport were bigger where I live.

You are talking about the Quigley Matches when you speak of being resurrected?

https://www.quigleymatch.com

According to this website the match will be in June this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Both my C. Sharps 45-70 and Browning 40-65 have a lot of freebore. Neither of them will shoot a parallel sided paper patched bullet well. It needs to be big enough to patch to groove diameter, which defeats the whole purpose, or of a 2 diameter design. Those are a bit harder to patch, but the results can be spectacular. The Browning especially will shoot groups half the size with it's custom 2 diameter bullet than it will with the best grease groove loads I have been able to come up with.
    What do you consider a lot of Freebore? I'm not sure what you mean by 2 Diameter? .2 over the regular diameter?

I thought NJ had a range too but when I searched for it this time I couldn't find it. I have been looking for a month now. I will find something. But I wish the sport were bigger where I live.

You are talking about the Quigley Matches when you speak of being resurrected?

https://www.quigleymatch.com

According to this website the match will be in June this year.
    No the Whig key match is a gong match in eastern Montana

The Read range is somewhere in Pennsylvania
    I may not of spelled it right
    Think the match in NJ is Cumberland range or some such

Boolit Grand Master

What do you consider a lot of Freebore? I'm not sure what you mean by 2 Diameter? .2 over the regular diameter?
    The bullet has two diameters. The front part is bore size while the back is sized for the grooves. People use the term bore size all the time. They are actually referring to the groove size. These are commonly referred to as bore riding bullets.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

When I refer to bore size it’s the bore size
    Groove size is larger
    Ie 45 caliber rifles .450 bore diameter and groove diameter .457 or .458

Boolit Grand Master

When I refer to bore size it’s the bore size
    Groove size is larger
    Ie 45 caliber rifles .450 bore diameter and groove diameter .457 or .458

That is the proper way but it doesn't stop people for stating you have to slug your bore and what's the bore size? I don't believe I have seen anyone asked what is your groove size unless it was part of a conversation about bore and groove sizes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast