RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the downsizing started?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If I am one of the guys you are refering to, as I have posted a wheelbarrow full of stuff in the last month. Truth is, I actually started the downsizing in 2015 when I held a gun Auction and sold 3/4 of my gun collection. My reason? I had always been a shooter and scoffed at collectors. As 2015 approached, I came to see I was shooting much less and I seemingly became a collector, and then I decided a change was in order. The Auction was designed to eliminate calibers, so I could eliminate caliber specific accessories and tooling. Since the auction, I've been selling in fits and bursts...just when I felt like it, not wanting the downsizing to take over my life...especially in the summer.

I'm getting pretty close to where I want to be ...maybe?
    JonB,
    I recall your auction and understand completely. I started "thinning my herd" about 15 years ago. I had a lot of "useless" calibers and guns that I had never or rarely shot. There are more to get rid of this year.

The gyrations of the last two years have made me realize the new reality. What I imagined was a lifetime supply is actually more than I need. Prepping for SHTF based on what I thought I might need 20 years ago has changed as my horizon gets closer. Plus, I am too frugal (cheap) to burn up $100/k primers to punch holes in paper or ring steel. I can shoot more for less with air guns.

I retired 9 years ago and the "projects" I thought would interest me when I had more time dropped off the radar. There are molds I have never used and may never use. At the same time, I moved to northern MI. Boxing and hauling all that stuff was an eye opener.

The big wakeup call was about 6 years ago. I offered my son one of the Dillon 1050's and he did not want it. Offered him one of the 550's (thinking the 1050 was too much machine for him) and he did not want it either.
    When I "go upstairs", he might want some guns, but he has no interest in the rest of the stuff.

Yes, you are one of the guys that triggered this thread but there are others. It hit me because I have seen them on this site for a long time. There is a certain sadness in seeing other old timers I have learned from winding things down. That is compounded when I surmise some are in the same boat as I...no one to pass things on to.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Sometimes interests change. Myself I (70 +) find myself with more stuff than I feel I can use GW
    I can agree with that. Seems to be the same rifle and shotgun that get used

Everything remains relative in value. For example, if you bought a used Win. '94 .30-30 in 1980 you might have paid $300. You can probably sell it today for $650 and think you made a killing, but it will cost you at least that to replace it tomorrow if you change your mind; and next year $750. Inflation raises the sticker price on everything, but the values of this to that remain relatively constant.

I've always been very certain that I wouldn't regret selling something before parting with it, as I might never get another like it.

DG

Boolit Master
    guy I used to work with that built an empire and had more money than he could ever spend taught me a lot but one thing that comes to mind here is never get married to anything but a woman. stuff comes and goes and you better off selling than hanging onto stuff you dont never use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    guy I used to work with that built an empire and had more money than he could ever spend taught me a lot but one thing that comes to mind here is never get married to anything but a woman. stuff comes and goes and you better off selling than hanging onto stuff you dont never use.
    Farmbif, some might want to disagree with that thought. I don’t know of any rifle, pistol or shotgun that cheated on me or wanted a divorce ! None of them took my money but I’ve spent money on most of them. Lol

Dverna, I agree lots of the folks that were on here and active casters n shooters that helped me learn the hobby back when I joined are now deceased, off the web or just fell out of touch.
    I too need to seriously think about downsizing and parting ways with “ stuff “ I no longer use or unable to use. Recoil is not my friend anymore but,..... I enjoy seeing a friend or ex coworker cringe when pulling the trigger on a magnum that’s new to them.

Mike

If you haven't used it, held it, or thought about it in 5 years- you don't need it. Let it go.
    My "5 year plan to avoid hoarding".

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm another one of those guys. I retired in 2015 unexpectedly due to health problems. (MS) I started cleaning out my closet, sock drawers, ect. Knives, belt buckles, surplus hunting clothes, ect. I offered everything to the boys and sold the rest. Then I started on my loading room and shop. I sold the reloading equipment that was duplicates or stuff I no longer had the need for. In 2020 I sold about a dozen guns. Once again I offered them to the boys. And they wanted a few of them. I'm still sitting on most of that money, with the plans to buy a few other guns that interest me.

I am in the middle of moving. What a wake up call! I had no idea I owned so much stuff. Once I get settled in the new place I am going to start actively trying to sell off what I don't need, which is most of what is there. Being active in competitions for years has led to accumulating a lot which really doesn't have much use in my new world. I don't know any younger people to give stuff to, so I may as well sell it off while I am still alive so nobody has to deal with it once I'm gone.

Boolit Master
    If I am lucky enough to see the sunset coming, I will try to clean things out then, hope I see it a year or 2 before it is here....or I hope to start once the interest fades or my mobility fades. I need to post a few loads of stuff now that I know I will not need or use.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm on the other side, still growing a collection, so maybe I can shed some light on some things. I do make full use of used items, and I'm not sure how that is going to effect the market going forward. I know a bunch of us younger guys do the same thing. Why would I buy some Chinese junk when someone is selling a good old USA made item for 1/2 the price? As for the group buys, I think they are on the way out. We are at a place today there's not much reason to wait for a mold. I can have anything my mind can imagine to my door in no time with Accurate. It is sad to see Mountain go, but between Accurate and Arsenal, we are not short on custom molds. NOE now has one heck of a collection of designs for HP molds. Lee molds are better than ever, and still dirt cheap. I've tried multiple times to get in on a group buy, but MP has utterly failed. What used to be a long wait is now a 2-3-4+ year fiasco. I won't put up with that. You can praise them all you want, but Erik can have a custom hollow point mold on your step in just a few weeks. Group buys are simply outdated.

Boolit Master

A long time friend told me that if you don`t use it in 3 years you don`t need it.
    I recently took my wife to my loading room to give her some idea the value of what I have in there.
    She said that she had no idea of the value of my loading equipment and supplies.
    I was quite shocked at the value myself.
    I just turned 80 and need to downsize even more than I already have.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interests change, personal circumstances change and for many, like myself . . . you get older. I have way too many molds, dies, etc. and this next summer will be thinning a lot of things out at some point. If I was young, then maybe I would hang on to things, but I shoot a lot less than what I used to, have lost some shooting buddies and life is a lot simpler when you don't have a lot of stuff to worry about. If something happens to me - it falls on my wife to have to dispose of it and why should I put that burden her?

Boolit Master
    Have the same issue, getting old (71) and one son is not into shooting. My other son is to some extent but has limited opportunity. He reloads but will he ever become a caster, who knows. Was going through my man cave and wonder, do I need nine powder measures, two scales (one Hornady NIB), mold handles for molds I don't have and don't plan to buy blocks for? And like others who posted find I am not able to shoot as much as before (arthritis) or walk for miles hunting. Thinking the time has come to get real and thin out my pile.

Boolit Buddy
    For me the drive to sell is to fund a new dream. I feel as though I sold the molds I have listed to date at reasonable prices. IE what I paid for them or what the HP service would have cost me. I have so much stuff that I was about out of room. I need to learn to let go of the old dream to fund and make room for the new one.

I sold stuff to help purchase a milling machine. Its been a need/want for a very long time. Finally decided that I had to sacrifice stuff to make it happen or it never would.

New mill will be here tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    now selling to fund--whatever--ive thought about that. if primers hit $1 each im selling all but a 22 a 30-30 and a 12 gauge, and buying a new airplane.

Boolit Master
    I started selling guns when my wife asked me how many I had and I couldn't tell her. Then I realized that I spread my shooting amongst so many guns that I didn't shoot most of them well.

Not going to claim to be a great shot, but at least now there's a chance I will improve.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.