RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eighty year old brass

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Semi-thread drift, I aquired a batch of fired 30-40 Krag brass from the teens. First thing I did was polish and anneal the brass. Tried to full length size them and they fractured as if they were as brittle as glass.

I'm assuming mercury bearing primers were used.

Long winded reason for the question, when did they move away from mercury in primers?
    I'm an amateur cartridge collector, like to dig through the ever-present boxes of random ammo at gun shows, been doing it for decades. I run across surplus 30-40 Krag loaded ammo from time to time, usually dated 1917 or earlier. I've learned over the years to check, because more often than not the necks are cracked. This is unfired ammo, so I assume they were just made wrong, poor quality brass or something?

Boolit Bub
    I usually anneal the cases. Shot 1930s 30-06 brass with reduced cast loads without problems.

Boolit Master
    Cracked necks in old brass is called season cracking....its caused by locked in stress from the drawing and necking process,and often takes 50 years or more to manifest.........It happens in any brass thats been worked,bent,rolled ,etc..........I had the original fuel and oil syringes on my Indian motorcycle crack open ,and partially unroll ...they were made of rolled and soldered sheet brass.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I'm an amateur cartridge collector, like to dig through the ever-present boxes of random ammo at gun shows, been doing it for decades. I run across surplus 30-40 Krag loaded ammo from time to time, usually dated 1917 or earlier. I've learned over the years to check, because more often than not the necks are cracked. This is unfired ammo, so I assume they were just made wrong, poor quality brass or something?
    I have some 30-40s that are marked 30 Army that have cracks like you mention, and steel jacket rn bullets.

The 80 year old 30-06 brass is on its fourth drama free loading. I did anneal them after the 2nd firing( first firing 80 years ago).

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

john.k has it nailed. From what I've read, it seems to be more prevalent in military ammo, which suggests less stringent control of brass temper. Military ammo isn't expected to go unfired for decades, of course.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

We have some 7.63 Mauser ammo from 1903. Last time I looked at them about 5 years ago the brass was not cracked.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I've got a bunch of 8x57 dated 1929 and 1930's, occasional misfire, but no problems with the brass splitting in these military surplus cartridges. Accuracy not bad either. Cases are berdan primed, but I have used the cases to create various dummies to set loading dies and such. The brass has been sound.

Boolit Master
    It is important to differentiate between nonmercuric and noncorrosive primers in military ammunition. I have an old American Rifleman article titled "Nonmercuric, Noncorrosive Primers" that gives a through explanation of the subject. It states that "There has been no mercury in U.S. military small arms primers manufactured since about 1898." Mercury was phased out because it left fired cases unsuitable for reloading, which the military did back then. Corrosive (but nonmercuric) primers were widely used into the early 1950s in U.S. military ammunition.

The article goes on to state that a corrosive and mildly mercuric Winchester-Western primer was used in some .30/06 and .300 H&H magnum Super-Match ammunition, but the primer and ammunition loaded with it were dropped in 1960. Apparently that primer was also used in some .308 Win. "white box" match ammunition on a limited basis; the use of the mercuric primer was noted on the box, one of which I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NonCorrosiveChart.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	298624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	298625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	298626

Boolit Master
    I have read about that specific lot of .308 Win Match ammo loaded with corrosive (mercuric) primers, but I have never seen even a picture of the box until now. Thank you, higgins!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Corrosive and mercuric are mutually exclusive are they not?

And I believe the O.P. was describing unfired ammunition, so the kinds of priming isn't a factor.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I dont believe any US military ammo had mercuric primers post the 30/06 adoption......corrosive ,yes........British 303 military primers are both mercuric and corrosive,having about equal ammounts of fulminate and chlorate......typically ,reloaded 303 military cases crack on the 3 rd or 4th reload,however reloading fired and reformed 303 military cases was once big business here.

Boolit Master

I've been using WWII brass for years. I just anneal it after every trim. I almost never have split cases, but do occasionally get a neck split. But that is to be expected with the number of times I've reloaded them. Most of the loses are just worn out brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I have five Krags and like nostalgic headstamps, my favorite being REM-UMC and PETERS. i had dabbled with FA and commercial contract Krag brass but had bad experiences with the 1917-18 stuff. In Tulsa this year I found a bag o'brass so ratty looking that I couldn't even read the hs through the plastic bag they were in. I was allowed to open the bag and after some squinting I was able to make out Rem-UMC Peters and a lot of early FA cases, most of these had no primers. I figured I would get the cost of the brass out in cleaning up the brass and the fun involved in that. Soaked them in vinegar for a week, in the polisher a couple of days and then given the anneal. today I fired fifteen of the F.A. cases dated '02, 03 and o6. The cases survived without a bauble. I'll keep an eye on them for failure and potential for failure. In one of my guns i have an F.A. 08 case that has survived ten reloadings and still strong. Caution - stay away from those WW One time
    cases. They tend to have or quickly develop cracked necks. Catch these before they catch you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12