WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help me build a dpms platform ar 10

Help me build a dpms platform ar 10

I bought a 358 win barrel from Mr. harmless , now all I need is everything else . I know that the ar 10 platform is much less standardized than the ar 15. infact my barrel isnt ar 10 but LR 308. Mr Harmless sold the barrel because id did not fit with parts he wanted to use. I'm hoping he will join this conversation . The barrel is 4140 Chromoly, 1-12 twist, chambered in .358 Winchester 20 inches, rifle length gas system, .750 inch gas block shoulder. I'm thinking I'll buy a palmetto lower and build the upper, but I could easily be talked out of it. I have a remaining budget of about 700$ and where a decision is necessary I prioritize light weight ( i know itll end up fairly heavy ) I dont see a psa striped upper ? So id guess the first order of business is picking a suitable upper? First question is Low or high profile or receiver ?

Boolit Master
    Well...I do enjoy building AR platform rifles......4 years ago. Prices for components are stupidly overpriced in today's market.
    That said - the coin you have left is certain to buy a lower and an upper with parts kits. I have never built a 358 win, but hopefully someone will chime in that has.
    Not sure how many AR's you've put together, but if you have a friend who does it will cheapen it up a lot. Tools like universal wrenches and roll pin punches and bench blocks and torque wrenches and gas block tools aren't expensive - but get that way pretty darn quick when you have to buy them all at once.
    I'm interested in your build and looking forward to your progress reports!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-07-2022 at 03:56 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Tools like universal wrenches and roll pin punches and bench blocks and torque wrenches and gas block tools aren't expensive - but get that way pretty darn quick when you have to buy them all at once.

Thats a very good point. I have access to pretty much any tool I could need at school, so not a factor for this build

Boolit Master
    Ive had very good luck with PSA Ar15's. Id see if I could buy a lower and upper matched set to build off of from them. If not them, next choice would be YHM or Anderson.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I bought a 358 win barrel from Mr. harmless , now all I need is everything else . I know that the ar 10 platform is much less standardized than the ar 15. infact my barrel isnt ar 10 but LR 308. Mr Harmless sold the barrel because id did not fit with parts he wanted to use. I'm hoping he will join this conversation . The barrel is 4140 Chromoly, 1-12 twist, chambered in .358 Winchester 20 inches, rifle length gas system, .750 inch gas block shoulder. I'm thinking I'll buy a palmetto lower and build the upper, but I could easily be talked out of it. I have a remaining budget of about 700$ and where a decision is necessary I prioritize light weight ( i know itll end up fairly heavy ) I dont see a psa striped upper ? So id guess the first order of business is picking a suitable upper? First question is Low or high profile or receiver ?
    ive got a palmetto ar10 i put together. Dont know if its still the same or not but when i did it a palmetto lower would mean you had to run a palmetto upper too. They didnt mate up right with other uppers.

Boolit Master
    I never built one but looked into it and your best off to get a matching upper and lower, do not try to mix and match here. that's about all the non expert advice this amateur can give.

Banned

that isnt even a guarantee. PSA has two different generations of ar10 lowers. Both have to be used with the proper generation upper.

Boolit Master
    Mtechs and Lloyd Smale brought up an essential point. While an AR-15 can be a conglomerate of manufacturers - the AR-10 doesn't seem to share that same comparability.
    Also, a quick look at prices of a BCG, lower and upper (didn't look at gas block or tube, sights, mags, etc) appear that the components will be above your $700 budget unless you go with an 80% or find some used components. Hopefully I looked on high priced sites.

Take a look at CDNN, They have a DPMS (LR308) complete lower for $300, a DPMS pattern Bushmaster BCG for $150, and a slick side dpms pattern Remington upper for $70. $20-$30 for a gas tube and block and you're at $550ish . That leaves you $150 for your handguard and muzzle brake. Hopefully a mount and scope aren't a part of your $700 budget. I would not get a PSA pattern receiver set as there is no standard, but the DPMS LR308 is the top pattern followed by Armalite. You will have more choices by going with the DPMS LR308 platform. I have 3 lowers that follow the LR308 pattern including one DPMS LR308 lower. You don't say if the muzzle is threaded and if so what threads, but most AR10 5/8-24 muzzle brakes aren't meant for .358" bullets. You may have to drill it out to 3/8". If you go that route most of the cheaper ones are going to have a nitride finish. They can either cut just fine with a cobalt bit or be so hard that it will deflect a carbide boring bar or laugh at a carbide endmill. Parkerized brakes usually aren't also nitrade treated and bright SS should be good also.

Primary Arms are Aero Precision M5 (Their 308 line) uppers and lowers in stock, which are pretty well regarded. They also have Lower Parts kits. LUTH-AR 308 BCGs are in stock at Primary Arms, and I've used LUTH-AR stuff in the past with great success.

Delta Team Tactical has BCG's for 308 builds for ~109 bucks made by Recoil Technologies. I don't their provenance, I typically go for Toolcraft myself.

The gas block is standard size, .75 inches. Same with the gas tube. Just standard rifle length on that barrel.

For an upper and lower, I would just buy a matched pair. Any DPMS style upper/lower combo will work, and they sometimes come with a charging handle.

Handguard is whatever style you want, and they come with the appropriate mounting hardware.

You will need a vise block and wrench to tighten the barrel nut though. If it's a one time project, buy it, use it, sell it to someone else who needs it. You can easily recoup 80 percent of the cost there.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Banned

I know the prices arent the same today but about 3 years ago i put together a psa gun for a bit over 500 bucks. Shots moa and runs perfectly. Had a dmps a few years back. that thing shot too but it was ammo sensitive. You absolutely had to small base size to get it to run a 100 percent. This psa gun eats everything and with a 18 inch barrel is about a lb lighter then the 16 inch dmps gun was.