RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Dillion 550 question

Boolit Master

Dillion 550 question

I process my brass on another press Lee Pro1000 size,decap then the next station I use my m die. Next into the stainless pin bathtub . Now I would like to put a powder measure in the first station on the Dillion toolhead . Next station a powder cop die ,3rd station seater die 4th crimp die. Is it possible to have a powder measure in the first hole of the toolhead? I really like the m die vs the powder funnel also I like to have the powder cop die. Anyone tried this ? Thank you

Anything is possible.

Easiest route would be to mount a non-Dillon powder measure in station one and operate it manually. Dillon sells an adapter to use "someone else's" powder measure.

If you stay with the Dillon powder measure, you will have to modify the fail-safe linkage and mounting to operate the powder measure return.

Or eliminate the fail-safe mechanism and rely on the original design powder return which was simply a stiff spring around the powder hopper and a pin on the charge bar.

I don't know if the old school spring is still available from Dillon.

Boolit Master
    You can put a powder measure anywhere you want on a Dillon 550 but it won't work from the press handle and you would have to flip it with your hand. A Dillon measure would be hard to manipulate but an RCBS or Lyman would work fine doing this.

Boolit Grand Master
    The old Dillon PM had a couple of springs to return the powder slide. It can be mounted anywhere. You can do the same with the newer PM.

The fail safe feature is not necessary if you either visually inspect, which I do not depend on, or use a powder check device as you intend to do.
    Last edited by dverna; 02-06-2022 at 11:25 PM.
    Don Verna

^That is correct.

The first generation Dillon bellcrank was spring return (I even added model aircraft rubber bands when we used H110 in them) with no failsafe rod.

The second generation came from powder bars getting stuck with tiny spherical powder. It had a fail safe rod that would force a measure return, if the two springs didn’t get the job done. This prevented squibs.

The third generation, known as the “clunker” by people that have used either or both of the first two, has a lockout in the bell crank that prevents short stroke double charge loads, as well as, the positive return to prevent doubles.

None of the “improvements” are necessary, they just save folks that didn’t catch a double/squib loads.

Boolit Master
    The powder funnel on an old 450 sounds like it would work but it's a manual pull and push. Should be a few laying around because Dillon offered an upgrade kit to turn the 450 into a 550 and the manual powder funnel was replaced.

If you are going the manual route, you could use any 7/8-14 powder measure on the 550, Lyman 55, uniflow,…

Boolit Master
    Another option would be to use a Lee Auto drum or Auto disk powder measure on the first hole. These are case activared so you would need the appropriate rifle charging die or powder through expansion die to mount the powder measure on.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.