Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 101 Value

Boolit Master

Winchester 101 Value

This is not a sale thread. If I choose to sell it, I will post it in S&S.

I have a new, unfired model 101,12-gauge, 26" skeet barrels that is still in the original box and packaging. It is not a Pidgeon grade. I don't know for sure whether the gun has ever even been assembled. I bought it in 1982 and gave it to my Dad. He put it in the safe and there it has been since then. I took it out the other day to check it for rust and it is still pristine. I have no need for it because I have a 12 and 20 ga. just like it. It has no sentimental value to me because he never used it. The two shotguns he did use I will never sell. Gunbroker and other auction sites are all over the place on price. I am not really very up to speed on shotgun stuff so any help would be really appreciated.

It will take a lot of pictures in order to hazard a guess.
    A101 new in the box. like you found price is all over.
    Field grades are lower they sell for about $1800

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W101.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	295862

Name:	W102.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	295863

Name:	W103.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	295864

Name:	W104.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	295865

Name:	W105.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	295866

It certainly looks to have been fired due to the standing breech face. I wouldn’t list it as NIB or never fired.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I am the original purchaser. I can assure you it has never been fired unless it was at the factory. The marks on the breach face were completely removed when I wiped the gun down with Ed's Red.

Boolit Master

Miroku or Nikko?

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I can assure you it has never been fired unless it was at the factory.
    The factory does proof fire it as a final inspection. (and has for centuries)
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Miroku or Nikko?

From the research I have done I don't think Miroku ever produced the 101. I believe they were made by Olin/Kodensha in Japan. The fit and finish is very nice on all three that I have. My 12 ga. has oil finished wood and my 20 ga. has the glossy finish like my dad's gun in the pictures.
    Last edited by Finster101; 02-12-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Just noticed my 12 ga. is an XTR. The other two do not have that designation. Is that a "Lightweight" ?

Banned

Myself id take it to a local skeet shoot. The ones around here tend to attract the docker wearing guys with money. Id bet youd get someone to pay real good money for it. Its sure worth more then i can afford to pay for a shotgun. I only have one really nice shotgun. Its an 80s browning 20 guage side lock side by side. Ive thought for years about selling it because its to pretty to drag through the brush but its also so pretty i hate to part with it.

Moderator Emeritus

I would second Lloyd's comment on taking it a local skeet club/shoot. My Father's friend had the 101 when I was a teenager and man did I shoot well with it at the local boy scout trap shoots. Ended up with the Browning Citori for trap for my son and I about 30 yea4s later, but will always remember how well that 101 shot and fit me. Good luck.

Boolit Master

I would love to do that...if we had one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have to comment after just selling my Citori XT last week.

First your gun has been fired more than once or twice for proof testing. It takes alot more rounds to leave marks like that on a gun.

My gun had over 2000 rounds thru it and the breach face wiped clean with a paper towel with some brake cleaner on it. It was not as marked as yours is in the pic.

Since you can't be sure, I'd not list it as unfired.

The other tell is the lines on the hinge face that show the gun was fired dry or nearly dry.

I just paid $250 to get that fixed on one of mine. Make sure to lube it with some kind of thin grease when you put together, that way it won't seize when it gets hot. Leave it on when you put it back in the box so it doesn't get forgotten next time.

Still it is what it is, and it "is" a popular shotgun in "Nearly Perfect Shape." You can probably get @$1800 for it. I got $1800 for my Citori which is very close to a Win 101.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy I am sure. The marks were in the original oil, wax, cosmoline what ever the gun was treated with at the factory. It wiped right off with some Ed's red on a patch. So it has never really been cleaned. It has barely even been out of the box. I will post a couple of new pics when I get a chance. I purchased the gun new at a Rod & Gun while in the Army and gave it to my dad. He never fired it.

Boolit Master

A few more pics after cleaning the gun. I believe it still had the factory preservative on it, almost like a thick paste wax. The shell impressions were made in that. It wiped right out with some Ed's Red i had made up.

Name:	W7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	296498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	296499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	296500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	296501 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	296502 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	296503

Name:	W6.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	296504

Boolit Buddy

Great gun, but a 12 ga. 26" skeet gun is no longer in Vogue. I think you would be hard pressed to get that kind of money out of it.

Boolit Master

That looks like the 101 I used in my 20s to compete with in Skeet overseas - very nice
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

NO! $1800 is a fair asking price for it and if you put it up on Trapshooters.com as NIB it would sell for $1800. However if you put it on Gun Broker or one of the other auction sites with a starting price of $1800 you might just get more.

"In Vogue" doesn't break Clays. My Citori CXS with 32" bbls doesn't swing nearly as fast as other shorter guns I have. And I think you will see Skeet Shooters going back to shorter barrels soon. 32" bbls are more for Sporting Clays than Skeet. And many are touting 21" bbls as the new "it" thing!

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    NO! $1800 is a fair asking price for it and if you put it up on Trapshooters.com as NIB it would sell for $1800. However if you put it on Gun Broker or one of the other auction sites with a starting price of $1800 you might just get more.

"In Vogue" doesn't break Clays. My Citori CXS with 32" bbls doesn't swing nearly as fast as other shorter guns I have. And I think you will see Skeet Shooters going back to shorter barrels soon. 32" bbls are more for Sporting Clays than Skeet. And many are touting 21" bbls as the new "it" thing!

My .02

Randy
    I dunno where you get your info . But the “new in thing” at skeet seems to be tuned 34” guns . If I’m not mistaken Krieghoff Perazzi and Betetta are making 34” barrels for use at skeet and or sporting . When I started skeet almost 40 years ago now I had 26” four barrel set then 26” tube gun . Later I traded up to a new K-32 28” tube set . Now most of my friends that shoot competitively at the skeet game are using 32” and one guy just got one of the aforementioned 34” guns . In sporting right now I shoot five 32” guns two 30” guns , two 26” guns and a 36” gun if there’s an 8 gauge event . I’ll never forget when I first got into the competitive game I jumped in with both feet at skeet AND trap . The older guys then claimed it was to hard to get around at trap doubles with 32” barrels , that was pure BS . I never noticed it then and forty years later I still don’t notice it . Now while I like the longer guns for clay targets , now going almost exclusively SxS I’ll shoot anything from 24” to 32” and I’ll de equally well or bad with either . So your idea of barrels on a registered skeet field coming down to 21” is far fetched at best .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vopie View Post
    Great gun, but a 12 ga. 26" skeet gun is no longer in Vogue. I think you would be hard pressed to get that kind of money out of it.
    Even at 26” that gun would make a nice entry level gun to start skeet . But I to think the price a might high unless someone that collects 101’s wants it as a 99% unfired gun for their collection . If the gun were 20 , 28 or 410 you could most likely get $2500-3000 . But plain and simple 12’s do not bring anywhere close to the smaller gauges . I’ve sold some very very nice Browning Superposed which is the Belgium made predecessor of the Citori and not gotten $1800 for 12 skeet 26 or 28 . I value the Belgium made Browning above the 101 or Citori . But I buy and sell to
    add Capitol to my slush fund so what do I know .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast